The Arbroath Thread

10 minutes ago, ecto said:

I remember the midweek game against Berwick, we were 1 nil down at halftime, was convinced Lumsden would be sacked at full-time, we scored 3 in the 2nd half to win 3-1, was absolutely gutted

Did the RB Wilson not score an absolute screamer into the top corner that night? 

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Did the RB Wilson not score an absolute screamer into the top corner that night? 

Yes he did, saved Lumsden that night, worst thing was, think Campbell was available at the time

How did Wighton get on with you last season? 
He was great for us the second half of 21/22 then a combination of fitness problems and awful management meant he never really got a fair crack of the whip last season. From the outside he seemed to be overshadowed by Hamilton with you?
He's returned to us but wouldn't be surprised to heading back to Gayfield if a deal can be done and you want him.

Showed glimpses, but looked an absolute shadow of the player we had before. He’d definitely bulked up in the time away from Gayfield and I think that’s worked against him hugely.

44 minutes ago, par-adise said:

How did Wighton get on with you last season? 

He was great for us the second half of 21/22 then a combination of fitness problems and awful management meant he never really got a fair crack of the whip last season. From the outside he seemed to be overshadowed by Hamilton with you?

He's returned to us but wouldn't be surprised to heading back to Gayfield if a deal can be done and you want him.

Showed glimses of quality but just doesnt score enough goals. I am not sure we would take him back in all honesty. He may do ok in League 1

9 hours ago, ecto said:

Am currently on my holidays in Turkey, and to be honest, struggling to sleep, so bored I delved back in this thread to when we sacked Lumsden/Hislop and appointed Dick Campbell, and some posts are interesting to say the least, but the thing that is glaringly obvious to me, is that most of us and I include myself in this, is how little we actually know about the game, we absolutely love, oh it's about page 109, where the carnage begins

Had a wee look back, some laughable posts. THere was even a montrose fan saying he was delighted that Campbell never came to them and was practically laughing at us. Amazing the turnaround in Goldy, seemed that nobody rated him at all.

6 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Had a wee look back, some laughable posts. THere was even a montrose fan saying he was delighted that Campbell never came to them and was practically laughing at us. Amazing the turnaround in Goldy, seemed that nobody rated him at all.

Never wanted Campbell to be our manager, but at that time, he was exactly what was required, I knew that, but never in a million years, did I think we would do what we have done and be where we are, heady times indeed, as for Goldy he was never getting a new contract after that first season, but Dick seen something and I for one is glad

I always think Goldy struggles not having a fair run in the team or really having a set position (has played full-back, centre mid, out wide etc.) then when he gets a game he plays out his skin and proves me wrong. Definitely one of our most underrated players, in the same bracket as Bobby Linn, Ricky Little, Colin Hamilton for me, has stuck with us for years.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Would he compare to say Dan Pybus? 

Understand this is likely a piss take for me saying he was decent a while back.

Shading shows club averages, which help explain Pybus looking so good on the ball? Hes not that great at it, its just Dunfermline played lots of passes in midfield. His strengths lie entirely in pressing/winning the ball back, aside from that hes ~average.

Unfair to fully judge folk on these alone, and I've not watched Hamilton, but it looks like you'll be exchanging a CM willing to take the ball and try to keep it for a more direct/physical player. Daresay it'll depend on who you play him beside with how it'll work out.

Hamilton.thumb.png.6c65de8356acb6bede5446818ec14cce.png

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Understand this is likely a piss take for me saying he was decent a while back.

Shading shows club averages, which help explain Pybus looking so good on the ball? Hes not that great at it, its just Dunfermline played lots of passes in midfield. His strengths lie entirely in pressing/winning the ball back, aside from that hes ~average.

Unfair to fully judge folk on these alone, and I've not watched Hamilton, but it looks like you'll be exchanging a CM willing to take the ball and try to keep it for a more direct/physical player. Daresay it'll depend on who you play him beside with how it'll work out.

Hamilton.thumb.png.6c65de8356acb6bede5446818ec14cce.png

Not a piss take, Dan Pybus was OK for us last year and was our presser/ball winner which is what Hamilton will be doing next year, just wondering how the stats lined up. 

On 08/06/2022 at 18:07, ellichtie said:

I always think Goldy struggles not having a fair run in the team or really having a set position (has played full-back, centre mid, out wide etc.) then when he gets a game he plays out his skin and proves me wrong. Definitely one of our most underrated players, in the same bracket as Bobby Linn, Ricky Little, Colin Hamilton for me, has stuck with us for years.

Am pretty sure Goldy knows his place in the squad

1 hour ago, Broath Boy said:

Dumbarton and Dunbartonshire 

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

Its Dum......Dunbartonshire however.

How the actual f**k have I been on the planet for hurtling near 57 years, consider myself reasonably bright and I had never noticed this, ever

On 18/05/2017 at 02:37, ellichtie said:

Honestly can't imagine us ever going full time unless we're in a position to be challenging at the top of the Championship. Wishful thinking imo.

Also found this, if only he had a little more confidence