The Arbroath Thread

On 05/06/2022 at 10:38, stan3600 said:

His stats must be mental. I’m guessing at or near the top of defensive duels won for a midfielder and not good on passing.

How I get him.

arbprath.thumb.png.e8b869ac84000f724d64dce2ceb13315.png

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, stan3600 said:

Thanks. I’m not sure where the aerial goal threat stat comes from. I don’t remember one header on goal.

Its a work in progress thats still flawed. Based on aerial duels won + touches in the box, to try and predict it. I can see headed goals but not headed shots, so trying to make something work.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its a work in progress thats still flawed. Based on aerial duels won + touches in the box, to try and predict it. I can see headed goals but not headed shots, so trying to make something work.

Yeah everything spot on but that aerial threat

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah everything spot on but that aerial threat

Aye I think players who win lots of headers get too much of a boost in it so I've always planned to weight it more towards touches in the box and headed goals, but never really get the time to spend an hour or so experimenting anymore.

Aye I think players who win lots of headers get too much of a boost in it so I've always planned to weight it more towards touches in the box and headed goals, but never really get the time to spend an hour or so experimenting anymore.

Chris Hamilton doesn’t so much win headers, through sheer determination he doesn’t lose them.

Am currently on my holidays in Turkey, and to be honest, struggling to sleep, so bored I delved back in this thread to when we sacked Lumsden/Hislop and appointed Dick Campbell, and some posts are interesting to say the least, but the thing that is glaringly obvious to me, is that most of us and I include myself in this, is how little we actually know about the game, we absolutely love, oh it's about page 109, where the carnage begins

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Am currently on my holidays in Turkey, and to be honest, struggling to sleep, so bored I delved back in this thread to when we sacked Lumsden/Hislop and appointed Dick Campbell, and some posts are interesting to say the least, but the thing that is glaringly obvious to me, is that most of us and I include myself in this, is how little we actually know about the game, we absolutely love, oh it's about page 109, where the carnage begins

That was way before my posting days but I was a long time lurker and remember it well.

Something I often think about is - what if Lumsden won one or two more games that season and never got sacked? Where would we be now? Who would be our coach? What would the last 6 seasons have looked like? Would we even still be in the top 4 leagues?

Personally, I remember being a little sceptical about Campbell’s appointment. I knew he would keep us up but thought he was too old-school and that it would simply be a stop gap appointment to do just that then move on. As you say - what do we know about the game?

I will always be eternally grateful to Tod Lumsden for being so terrible - he played a very important part in our subsequent success 😆

Edited by Tattie36

41 minutes ago, ellichtie said:

#TheArbroathWay

Also seen Chris Hamilton has signed for the Pars, will surely do a job for them in League 1. Quality player.

Long term deal apparently. All his family are Pars fans, so that maybe helped swing it for us.

Looks like 1320 was the man of vision in hose days.

21 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

He was, but has been in decline ever since, pity 😉                              ps when are the fixtures out?

Edited by ecto

1 hour ago, stan3600 said:

I remember being in a massive strop over us not sacking Lumsden and I actually stopped going to games towards the end cause I thought we were far to slow to get rid and it gave me the fear that we were going to end up in big trouble. Remember encouraging others to do same to try and get board to get rid. Vote with feet kind of stuff. Maybe childish in hindsight but as soon as DC became available I was desperate for us to go and get him

I also stuck up for Goldy I remember and there wasn’t many fans of him at the time, but it was a case of him being in a very bad team he always had something I thought 

How did Wighton get on with you last season? 

He was great for us the second half of 21/22 then a combination of fitness problems and awful management meant he never really got a fair crack of the whip last season. From the outside he seemed to be overshadowed by Hamilton with you?

He's returned to us but wouldn't be surprised to heading back to Gayfield if a deal can be done and you want him.

1 minute ago, par-adise said:

How did Wighton get on with you last season? 

He was great for us the second half of 21/22 then a combination of fitness problems and awful management meant he never really got a fair crack of the whip last season. From the outside he seemed to be overshadowed by Hamilton with you?

He's returned to us but wouldn't be surprised to heading back to Gayfield if a deal can be done and you want him.

Wighton had a hard time in latest spell. He worked hard and tried his best but ultimately the way we played just did not suit him, we were so direct. He is a player and there’s a good one in there but never had a great time in his loan spell and ultimately fell out of the team in the end 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I remember being in a massive strop over us not sacking Lumsden and I actually stopped going to games towards the end cause I thought we were far to slow to get rid and it gave me the fear that we were going to end up in big trouble. Remember encouraging others to do same to try and get board to get rid. Vote with feet kind of stuff. Maybe childish in hindsight but as soon as DC became available I was desperate for us to go and get him

I also stuck up for Goldy I remember and there wasn’t many fans of him at the time, but it was a case of him being in a very bad team he always had something I thought 

I remember the midweek game against Berwick, we were 1 nil down at halftime, was convinced Lumsden would be sacked at full-time, we scored 3 in the 2nd half to win 3-1, was absolutely gutted