The Arbroath Thread

28 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Personally think it shows a lack of ambition. 

I respectfully disagree.

First and foremost Hamilton will identify himself as a full-time professional footballer. He’s still young and probably has nothing else outside of football to make a career out of. He’s also probably very aware that, at this stage in his career, he’s unlikely to get a full-time contract/game time in the Premiership, so if he’s offered a decent wage by a local (to him) team which allows him to play every week and pursue that career then good for him.

Despite all the hilarity at Dunfermline's relegation, they will definitely be a contender to come straight back up. He will probably be a standout in that league and therefore his stock will rise. His next move will likely be what defines his career.

I remember people talking about how Ryan Fraser showed a lack of ambition when he left Aberdeen for Bournemouth. Worked out pretty well for him in the end.

42 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Haha comparing Chris Hamilton to Ryan Fraser. 

I would stop short of saying it’s a lack of ambition but should definitely be looking to stay in the championship. 

You actually think I’m directly comparing Chris Hamilton and Ryan Fraser as footballers?

It’s pretty obvious that I’m comparing the situation of a full-time footballer, at whatever level, showing a perceived lack of ambition by dropping down a level to get a wage, a game, a potential raised profile, with a decent chance of silverware and being back in this league next season. If I was a player, that would probably be more of an attraction than signing for Morton or Ayr etc if the money involved was favourable.

Edited by Tattie36

25 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

You actually think I’m directly comparing Chris Hamilton and Ryan Fraser as footballers?

It’s pretty obvious that I’m comparing the situation of a full-time footballer, at whatever level, showing a perceived lack of ambition by dropping down a level to get a wage, a game, a potential raised profile, with a decent chance of silverware and being back in this league next season. If I was a player, that would probably be more of an attraction than signing for Morton or Ayr etc if the money involved was favourable.

As well as this, location. With Raith Rovers being set in the centre midfield, Dunfermline are his local club, and it appears the club his Dad supports.

Calling it a lack of ambition is some laugh, football fans always seem to try and look at everything in black and white, there's allot more that goes into a player choosing a club than just "This club finished higher than this club". 

Aye Dunfermline or Falkirk over a few teams in this league for me. He’s not going to be held hostage at Dunfermline he can move again if it doesn’t work out 

Very young lad making his first permanent FT move, a big local club, which will pay better wages than a few clubs in this division anyway, where he can play every week and settle in at a level he knows he’s capable of playing

Even then clubs in this league that are maybe more desirable, Dundee for example, might already have someone for that position (Dundee do they’ve got Byrne) 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

As well as this, location. With Raith Rovers being set in the centre midfield, Dunfermline are his local club, and it appears the club his Dad supports.

Calling it a lack of ambition is some laugh, football fans always seem to try and look at everything in black and white, there's allot more that goes into a player choosing a club than just "This club finished higher than this club". 

Aye, you’d think our fans would be more aware of that when players like TOB could’ve easily moved to bigger/higher placed clubs if they had “ambition”.

I wish Chris Hamilton all the best in his move to Dunfermline - I find it odd how people can question where he decides to work and earn a living, it's his livelihhood and his decision . This is not some kind of hobby, this is his job and occupation - I hope and expect he will do well, and he will most certainly know what is best for himself without needing any advice from anyone on a football forum.

We need to accept that despite our recent success we dont stand much chance of persuading full time footballers under 30 here and even a lot of part time footballers priorities their location (usually glasgow based).
I have no doubts we would have been able to sign the likes of chris hamilton and dowds if we were full time but as it stands we cant compete with the teams in this division and even a couple of league 1 teams.

16 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Personally think it shows a lack of ambition. 

The flip side Arbroath are lacking ambition , Even go a hybrid system and you can still attract the likes of Chris Hamilton , Dunfermline are a big club even though they have been relegated which pains me to say being a Rovers fan

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Aye, you’d think our fans would be more aware of that when players like TOB could’ve easily moved to bigger/higher placed clubs if they had “ambition”.

Aye, it works both ways. I would've loved Dunfermline to have signed a few Arbroath players but it made absolute sense for them to stay with Arbroath, they didn't lack ambition, they just done what was right for them at the moment. 

Chris is not lacking in ambition in the slightest and Dunfermline might be a good move for him. It seems to tick a few boxes, just a tad sursprised he hasn’t ended up at a thistle for instance. If he is a Dunfermline boy or local then that looks like it could be the deciding factor for him. Good luck to him, he was very very good for us. 

Quite strange to see Chris Hamilton doing so well at a much higher level than he played with us. Granted, he was played out of position, but I didn't see him going on to have any kind of success above League 1. Similar to Scott Allardice, who looked bang average for us.

Edited by FifeSons

The flip side Arbroath are lacking ambition , Even go a hybrid system and you can still attract the likes of Chris Hamilton , Dunfermline are a big club even though they have been relegated which pains me to say being a Rovers fan

I can’t see the appeal of training during the day with 4/5 other full time players as opposed to just signing for a full time club.