The Arbroath Thread

20 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Love the away kit, home is really classy too but not sure on the collar. Also not sure what kit we’ll wear v hamilton away…..

No sure, why we canna wear maroon against Hamilton

Interested to see how Jacobs does for you guys. Given anybody could be made to look shit in last years Falkirk team, it’s maybe unfair to judge him. He was particularly dreadful for us to be honest, probably one of our poorest performing January signings. A better team and a proper pre-season might help him kick-on. I always felt like he had a football brain, but always seemed two seconds off the pace of the game. 

22 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

Interested to see how Jacobs does for you guys. Given anybody could be made to look shit in last years Falkirk team, it’s maybe unfair to judge him. He was particularly dreadful for us to be honest, probably one of our poorest performing January signings. A better team and a proper pre-season might help him kick-on. I always felt like he had a football brain, but always seemed two seconds off the pace of the game. 

Said it elsewhere but if his injury was something else other than just a fracture in his foot I would be skeptical but he’s only 32, clearly very professional and getting a good pre season and being able to build up a run of games continuously should see him in good stead and I think he’ll be a good signing. Whole teams full of grafters so it should help ease him in

First of all WELL DONE to all connected at Arbroath Football Club for a memorable season which will live with Red Lichtie supporters young and old for years to come.

The Management, players, AFC Board, AFC Backroom Staff, everybody connected to the club and of course the Red Lichtie fans all deserve huge credit.

I must say i have cringed at some of the comments aimed at Sir Dick Campbell on here by some posters, FFS get a grip, he has done an OUTSTANDING job for our club, was it a disappointing end to the season (yes) did you disagree with some of his tactics and team line ups (yes) but overall was it a fantastic season and has he done a superb job for AFC since he arrived = YES.

Anyway moving forward i am really disappointed that Hendo has left the club to go full time with Falkirk, he obviously seen himself as not going to dispatch Tam/Ricky/Hammy from the defence but i seen him as a good central midfielder but obviously Nicky and wee Hammy were doing a superb job in that area and imo he was not a wide left side player, sad to see him go but i can understand his reasons, met him a few times and he is a great lad as well.

The new kits, i like them especially the away ones (i really like our black away kits as well) but they are a bitty different so will deffo purchase one of them.

The 2 new signings up to now are decent and on a final note all the best to Red Lichtie Legend Gavin Swankie, a home grown player who has done superb for us over his career, i do hope he stays with the club in some type of capacity.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Great at everything but being on the football, treats it like a hot tattie, but get a ball playing guy in midfield next to him and he will be smashing

Was a centre back at youth level wasn't he? Would he not be more suited to playing there? 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Was a centre back at youth level wasn't he? Would he not be more suited to playing there? 

Think Neilson and himself wanted to change his position because he’s just a shorter lad. Must only be 5 foot 7 or so. Filled in and done ok at right back but again just brilliantly defensively, not too good on the ball. Best position now definitely a ball winning midfielder, he’s rapid, gets about, reads game well and tough in tackle  

Might be miles off but I reckon Livingstons new striker Esmael Gonçalves will end up here for 6 months 

Martindale said and I quote ‘ I am confident that Esma, once up to speed, will become a valuable member of our first team squad ‘

Welcome to Gayfield 

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Far too small / lightweight to be a centre back. He started as right back where he did really well and was moved into defensive midfield where he has been a real 8/10 performer nearly every week. Our best performances have coincided with him in there, his tenacity out of possession to win the ball back was a real joy to watch, he is strong in the tackle for a smaller guy also. His limitations on the ball / passing range is probably what have stopped him getting near the Hearts team / winning another deal. Would be surprised if he goes to League 1.

32 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Far too small / lightweight to be a centre back. He started as right back where he did really well and was moved into defensive midfield where he has been a real 8/10 performer nearly every week. Our best performances have coincided with him in there, his tenacity out of possession to win the ball back was a real joy to watch, he is strong in the tackle for a smaller guy also. His limitations on the ball / passing range is probably what have stopped him getting near the Hearts team / winning another deal. Would be surprised if he goes to League 1.

Why? He’s not going to go to the Prem. in Championship there’ll be limited options a lot of teams might already have central midfielders. Dunfermline will pay better than Morton, Ayr, Hamilton and he’s not going PT with us or Cove. Raith have about 15 centre mids and he wouldn’t suit them. Partick sorted in midfield too I’m sure. Dundee? Suspect they’ll be looking for better. QP I’ve no idea but couldn’t see him there either and Dunfermline local for him too I’m sure.

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

According to anither forum Livi are interested. 

I think I was getting him mixed up with Colin Hamilton, is he tall? Had a howler thinking he could play centre back. 

Colin Hamilton is our left back, 30 year old and been here forever. Runs his own car garage. Definitely wouldn’t go full time now 

You’ll be meaning Chris Hamilton. He was a centre half at Hearts and Scotland youth. Had heard Dunfermline were interested in him but pre relegation. Martindale and DC are very close though, Martindale signed Ben Williamson after we had him and I think a lot of that down to Dick

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Colin Hamilton is our left back, 30 year old and been here forever. Runs his own car garage. Definitely wouldn’t go full time now 

You’ll be meaning Chris Hamilton. He was a centre half at Hearts and Scotland youth. Had heard Dunfermline were interested in him but pre relegation. Martindale and DC are very close though, Martindale signed Ben Williamson after we had him and I think a lot of that down to Dick

Ben Williamson signed for Livi?