The Arbroath Thread

To be calling our most successful manager of all time “uncle Fester” is pretty disrespectful imo.

To me his one minor failing is that he’s not really an attack minded manager. His teams are built from back to front and he places more importance on not conceding/losing than on playing swashbuckling attacking football. Just look at some of the strikers he’s signed since he’s been in charge - Doolan, Spence, Donnelly, Hilson, Ford etc. His loans have been decent though, either through luck or judgement.

I would like to see us appoint a dedicated strike coach - perhaps a role for Gavin Swankie?

Just now, Tattie36 said:

To be calling our most successful manager of all time “uncle Fester” is pretty disrespectful imo.

To me his one minor failing is that he’s not really an attack minded manager. His teams are built from back to front and he places more importance on not conceding/losing than on playing swashbuckling attacking football. Just look at some of the strikers he’s signed since he’s been in charge - Doolan, Spence, Donnelly, Hilson, Ford etc. His loans have been decent though, either through luck or judgement.

I would like to see us appoint a dedicated strike coach - perhaps a role for Gavin Swankie?

Extremely disrespectful and just strange to be honest 

And for all this chat... we were also top goal scorers in the whole league 

Our back 4 and keeper is what the team has and always has been built off. Why keeping Liam Henderson and getting someone in like Cammy Ballantyne could be so important going forward 

2 hours ago, Lichteeeeee said:

You cant beat uncle Dick wanting 5 strikers for one position.

I mean, i keep being told, we cant argue with his track record ( which of course is true )

But yeah 5 strikers, one position is excessive, especially when he doesnt rotate.

We threw this away, how he wins manager of the year is just down to how bad the league is, we have the pick of the best part timers in the country, dominate the league, and old uncle fester wont change it up.

Dont change a winning team i hear you moan, we were not winning, we were throwing points away all over the place.

Guys sat on a bench and have little to no chance of coming on, poor b*****ds moved up here aswell

Where to start with this absolute mess of a post.  I trust Dick completely with the squad and any additions he makes, he knows the leagues and our club inside out now. A large part of his recruitment has been spot on as we moved up the leagues and see no reason why this wont continue this year. Uncle Fester stuff is absolutely pathetic in all honesty. We have played with 2 stirkers in 90% of games also not 1 position. 

Top scorers in the league and one of the only teams to play 2 strikers and wingers so not sure how more attacking we couldve been, I actually think Dick at times could've been more pragmatic and defensive minded in certain games, certainly dont think we could ever have been looked upon as a defensive team in any way shape or form.

Edited by Smokerson

The uncle fester comment actually pissed me off to be honest. What a way to speak about the guy who’s been nothing but brilliant for the club and a gentleman to everyone in and around the place. Taken the club so far and been a great ambassador for the club. Talking about him like that when you’re a fan of the club is strange 

You cant beat uncle Dick wanting 5 strikers for one position.
I mean, i keep being told, we cant argue with his track record ( which of course is true )
But yeah 5 strikers, one position is excessive, especially when he doesnt rotate.
We threw this away, how he wins manager of the year is just down to how bad the league is, we have the pick of the best part timers in the country, dominate the league, and old uncle fester wont change it up.
Dont change a winning team i hear you moan, we were not winning, we were throwing points away all over the place.
Guys sat on a bench and have little to no chance of coming on, poor b*****ds moved up here aswell

Seriously? Are you saying we’d have won the league playing Ford and Bakare more?

Dick is a terrific manager and our results have been outstanding. His “weaknesses” are he’s quite defensive (so Bobby gets few minutes because he has no defensive side) and he is over-loyal to established players (eg he could have tried Henderson at left back and he persists with Donnelly). But his strengths are a very solid defence and a strong group who will play for each other and for him. Two sides of the same coin. They have been the basis of our success.

Seeing more and more rumours about Nicky Low coming to Morton. We all know he's a Morton fan, lives in Greenock and he's been in the local rag recently saying he wants to play for us at some point.

Question is, would Arbroath allow him to leave mid contract for the chance of a full time deal at his local club or would they expect a decent transfer fee for him?

Certainly seems to be something in it.

3 minutes ago, madton said:

Seeing more and more rumours about Nicky Low coming to Morton. We all know he's a Morton fan, lives in Greenock and he's been in the local rag recently saying he wants to play for us at some point.

Question is, would Arbroath allow him to leave mid contract for the chance of a full time deal at his local club or would they expect a decent transfer fee for him?

Certainly seems to be something in it.

Think it depends on us getting a replacement for him. Charlie Adam perhaps. But I think we would be doing our best to keep him atleast for this season if we couldn’t find a suitable replacement or never got a fee. I did see he was struggling with the travelling

Decent fee and wouldn’t stand in his way of going back full time. Heard Henderson is away to Falkirk. 

Would be very disappointed to lose him but silver lining would be no more of him at left mid. Strange he was only signed on a years deal if it’s a free transfer

1 minute ago, timlichtie said:

We struggled for seasons with a lack of left sided players then had a surfeit of them with Hammy, Low and Henderson. Nobody can grudge players going full time if that’s their preference.

Low more because he’s a Morton fan and struggling with the travelling and Henderson is too good to be sitting on the bench at his age. Ricky and Tam too good 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I’d be gutted. He’ll go a long way. A class defender.

He’s 25 and dropping down to League 1 to play for Falkirk. I’ll wager he’ll never play higher than the Championship.

Low more because he’s a Morton fan and struggling with the travelling and Henderson is too good to be sitting on the bench at his age. Ricky and Tam too good 

I agree. Too good to be sitting on the bench - or playing left wing. He should have played at left back.

2 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

I agree. Too good to be sitting on the bench - or playing left wing. He should have played at left back.

Colin Hamilton over him at left back any day of the week for me mate. Definitely a centre half. Think his best performance of the season was either Thistle away at Christmas or Tannadice in the League Cup

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s 25 and dropping down to League 1 to play for Falkirk. I’ll wager he’ll never play higher than the Championship.

Still got a good 10 year and few of they years lost with being in transition with him moving to Australia etc.