The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Cammy Gill on his way to you lot I've been told back up to Gaston.

Fits the bill. Been on loan here before I think. This is always the most boring news in off season so glad it’s been sorted quickly 

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Fits the bill. Been on loan here before I think. This is always the most boring news in off season so glad it’s been sorted quickly 

Don't know much about him to be fair,I'd imagine he is way better than Antell.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I have no recollection of his previous loan, but you are right. Don't think he played a game (although I can't imagine Wikipedia is that accurate with his career stats!).

I actually came in here today to post (jokingly) about the lack of transfers!

I have no recollection of his previous loan, but you are right. Don't think he played a game (although I can't imagine Wikipedia is that accurate with his career stats!).

I actually came in here today to post (jokingly) about the lack of transfers!

Nah he never played, so Wikipedia is correct on that front. Generally quite reliable for player stats anyway as it’s usually fans of the clubs putting them on

Don't know much about him to be fair,I'd imagine he is way better than Antell.
Antell came from a decent Edinburgh City team.

Gill is coming from a shite Cowdenbeath team that just been relegated.

So not sure how you can imagine him to be better than Antell.

23 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Watched Antell play plenty a few years ago just my opinion really didn't think he was up too much.Also if he was that good he wouldn't be signing for a Lowland league team?

Wouldn't read too much into Cowdenbeath finishing bottom most player's play better with better player's around them.Pretty sure when you lads finished 2nd bottom of league 2 theirs still a few players in your squad now.

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Watched Antell play plenty a few years ago just my opinion really didn't think he was up too much.Also if he was that good he wouldn't be signing for a Lowland league team?

Wouldn't read too much into Cowdenbeath finishing bottom most player's play better with better player's around them.Pretty sure when you lads finished 2nd bottom of league 2 theirs still a few players in your squad now.

All correct. Either way he’ll only be playing in league cup games and if Gaston injured anyway

He’ll have had lots of practice saving shots.

7 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Wee snippet from Dick tonight is he said on Friday he needed to tell 3 boys they are being let go. Clearly didn't name names

A lot of what DC says is usually a wee bit exaggerated and can be taken with a pinch of salt

Hilson only guy out of contract that I’m aware of? 

ETA: actually it’ll be Hilson, Bakare and Ford

Bakare and Ford I feel quite sorry for. Not a clue why we signed them. Moved up here and stayed in digs and barely kicked a ball 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A lot of what DC says is usually a wee bit exaggerated and can be taken with a pinch of salt

True, he reiterated it twice to Richard Gordon in the Q&A. Thinks he needs 7 players coming in

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

ETA: actually it’ll be Hilson, Bakare and Ford

Bakare and Ford I feel quite sorry for. Not a clue why we signed them. Moved up here and stayed in digs and barely kicked a ball 

Bakare and Ford, both looked signings for signing sake, both were not was required at the time, we were screaming out for someone to play the left side, instead we got this pair, neither of which, fitted the bill

1 hour ago, stan3600 said:

7 sounds right. 3 leaving, Swankie retired and 3 loans going back.

So I imagine 

Cammy Gill or back up keeper 

3/4 signings that are our players 

2/3 loans 

so might get some news in next 2/3 weeks in regards to the top 2 and then the loans are usually late into July 

On 21/05/2022 at 08:40, ecto said:

Bakare and Ford, both looked signings for signing sake, both were not was required at the time, we were screaming out for someone to play the left side, instead we got this pair, neither of which, fitted the bill

You cant beat uncle Dick wanting 5 strikers for one position.

I mean, i keep being told, we cant argue with his track record ( which of course is true )

But yeah 5 strikers, one position is excessive, especially when he doesnt rotate.

We threw this away, how he wins manager of the year is just down to how bad the league is, we have the pick of the best part timers in the country, dominate the league, and old uncle fester wont change it up.

Dont change a winning team i hear you moan, we were not winning, we were throwing points away all over the place.

Guys sat on a bench and have little to no chance of coming on, poor b*****ds moved up here aswell

I mean, i keep being told, we cant argue with his track record ( which of course is true )
But yeah 5 strikers, one position is excessive, especially when he doesnt rotate.
We threw this away, how he wins manager of the year is just down to how bad the league is, we have the pick of the best part timers in the country, dominate the league, and old uncle fester wont change it up.
Dont change a winning team i hear you moan, we were not winning, we were throwing points away all over the place.
Guys sat on a bench and have little to no chance of coming on, poor b*****ds moved up here aswell

I partially agree with you.

Think it was more down to his faith in certain players that gave fans more to moan about.

Bringing on the likes of Donnelly on from the bench when chasing a goal is about as much use as flying a kite underwater.

Dick never seemed to want to change things or try Ford or Bakare until the game was pretty much up.

We need a big improvement next season as surely we cant perform lile we did in the 2nd half of the season and expect to be in the top half.

24 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I partially agree with you.

Think it was more down to his faith in certain players that gave fans more to moan about.

Bringing on the likes of Donnelly on from the bench when chasing a goal is about as much use as flying a kite underwater.

Dick never seemed to want to change things or try Ford or Bakare until the game was pretty much up.

We need a big improvement next season as surely we cant perform lile we did in the 2nd half of the season and expect to be in the top half.

Pretty sure all season our form was in the top half. The whole league turned into a shitshow after January, there were a ridiculous amount of draws, but we still picked up a lot of points. 

Calling DC old uncle Fester is just absolutely bizarre though and he maybe never had the best January but all that matters is over the course of the season so finishing second huge achievement and he deserved manager of the year 

Slag him off for Ford and Bakare? Well where’s the credit for Nouble, Hamilton and Hamilton 

Cant get every one right 

It’s possible for us to have thrown this away, yet still overall have had a fantastic season. My major grievance is the left wing position, an absolute disgrace the amount of games Henderson & Craigen started there, offering absolutely nothing going forward.

Going off the late season games and especially Inverness Bobby really should have saw more game time at home. He had that great game against Partick on the Wednesday and then I think he earned himself a start at home to Dunfermline on the Saturday and on the Saturday he really struggled but he had got his first start in forever in the midweek so I think it was maybe harsh to see him not pick up any starts after that. I could be wrong but I would guess that after the start in the Dunfermline game his next one would have been the Morton one last day?