The Arbroath Thread

7 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Thought Wighton would've made more of an impact. What was Arbroath fans thoughts?

He didn't have the physicality for our playing style this season. 

I don't expect him to be playing full-time when his contract expires.

20 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Thought Wighton would've made more of an impact. What was Arbroath fans thoughts?

Like him but did not suit the way we played at all. Far too many longer direct balls, he should’ve been given more of a chance though he was practically bombed the last 6 weeks and thought it was harsh.

I was surprised too given how good he was in his first loan for us. I expected him and Jack Hamilton to be a great partnership. He showed flashes of skill but didn’t make an impact. He couldn’t have been showing much in training because Dick quickly switched to favouring Donnelly.

I’m sure I read an article earlier in the season which said Wighton had been bulking up in a bid to become a proper number 9 striker. This seems to have completely worked against him, his ability to go past players which we saw in his last loan spell appears to have gone. It would be a gamble but I wouldn’t be against keeping him if we didn’t have to pay a fee.

Donnelly really has to be in the last chance saloon. No league goals in 2 and a half years is a mental stat considering how much he has played.
He isnt good enough for this level. If he was, DC would not have brought in 4 strikers on loan this season and played them ahead of him.

I know certain fans love him but he was barely scoring for Stranraer in League 1 when we bought him. He has scored some for us but its clear to see he lacks the ability to play at this level as a striker and he doesnt fit into the tactics in any other position.

3 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Donnelly really has to be in the last chance saloon. No league goals in 2 and a half years is a mental stat considering how much he has played.

It’s mental how much game time he gets for such little return. I was convinced he’d played his last game for us after the defeat to Aberdeen B where he was hopeless against a bunch kids. His goal (not) scoring record is atrocious and indefensible. It’s not like he doesn’t have plenty of opportunities.

No doubt some will be on to defend him and mention his assists and general play etc, but the bottom line is that he’s meant to be striker, and at the moment he’s the only one on our books.

I don’t dislike him and he’s obviously a good player with ability but he’s just never fulfilled his potential - so frustrating. He played well in the cups against Kelty and Forfar which I think tells us that that’s his level.

50 minutes ago, Arbroath36.0! said:

I would like us try and sign that right back ballantyne, calum Gallagher fae airdrie plays up top, wouldnt mind a winger like Dylan Easton too,

Bring Dylan Easton back you mean,played 4 or 5 games for Arbroath

2 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Wighton is a gifted, talented and creative player - but I don't think Arbroath's formation was working for him, in particular the link up play between Jack Hamiltion and Wighton seemed to be missing, they did not gel well together (Arbroath's long balls tactics were not a good fit for Wighton).

If he stays at Gayfield I think he could be a success, but the attacking formation would need to be tweaked to suit his style of play - he's too good a player to be sitting on the bench.

51 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Didn’t he get a new deal at the in January?