The Arbroath Thread

I would like to think St Johnstone will beat ICT fairly comfortably* and, like Lichtie23, think they would have beaten us. Having said that, scoring goals has been Saints weakness this season and if the highest scorers in the Championship could only score one goal in 6 and a bit attempts against ICT then I could certainly see them win this in a low scoring tie.

* apologies to ICT fans but due to the way you’ve played/negated us this season I want you to lose.

Edited by Tattie36

We missed our opportunity definitely but didn’t see any lack of effort, and plenty seeking to get down the wings (Stewart, Linn).  ICT had maybe one attack first half, a little more with the wind before the sending off then they shut up shop.  It’s difficult to break down all out defence and we’d scored only once in 6 games against them despite us being the League’s top scorers.   More composure in some situations or maybe a lucky break would have changed it.   I also thought the sendings off were justified so don’t quite see what the fuss was for.  Maybe didn’t help since ICT closed down rather than opened up after the first.

in general, I feel going out on pens, tho sickening, allowed us to dodge a bullet. Different if we’d won the title but another tedious 2 legged playoff or even a challenging single season in the Premiership, while undoubtedly an experience, might have proved chastening.  Hoping we keep the bulk of the current squad, that players and management can enjoy a decent break, reflect on a brilliant season and hope to consolidate in the Championship next season.

footnote - we don’t have the best historic record in playoffs after taking part in plenty.and our failure to break down a stubborn ICT brought memories of going down to defeat to 9 man E Fife in League 2 at New Bayview under John McGlashan

A few standouts for me yesterday.
Bobby was near his brilliant best. He really added a threat we were lacking and was always demanding the ball.
TOB was imperious in defence as always and looked like he could win it on his own.
McKenna never stopped running and really looked the Championship player of the season.

10 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I was at the game and couldn’t really understand the “Willie Collum is a disgrace” and “Arbroath had 12 men” stuff so I rewatched on iPlayer to check my maroon glasses. Michael Stewart was mental. He should be dropped for a while to calm down. For the straight red the defender put his arms round Jack as he fell and brought him down - a pretty obvious red and one that VAR would never overturn. The two yellows that got Duffy sent off were straightforward too. For the second one he flew in studs first with both feet off the ground and clattered Bobby.

Caley defended well but deserved every card they got.

Totally agree about both red cards. 

7 minutes ago, Pat Boon said:

Totally agree about both red cards. 

Thought the first one was for sure, arm went round  and impeded Hamilton totally. 

Second yellow for Duffy......?

Just now, DUAFC said:

Thought the first one was for sure, arm went round  and impeded Hamilton totally. 

Second yellow for Duffy......?

Michael Stewart giving it large  was poor  ☹

15 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

To be honest - I find the 'bottling' comments etc. hilarious - the majority being really poor wind ups to anyone whose watched us play over the course of this season and knows what we're good/ not so good at and a minority being genuine morons who think it to be the case. Either way.... :lol:

Last night summarises many aspects of our season - all of our biggest strengths, our shape, discipline, structure etc. are all defensive/ nullifying strengths, which have enabled us to grind out so many points over the season. The times we've struggled, and not picked up a better result than we did, are the games we've had to come out and break the opposition down and all the strengths mentioned above are a great platform, but they're not ones that win games like last night. You could see how many of our players legs were gone well before the end, making it so hard to keep giving overlaps and constant options/ movement where we should have been/ wanted too. If we'd scored at any point in the first hour of that game, we'd all have been confident of going on to win the game regardless of how many men Inverness had on the pitch, as we've played that game so well so many times this season.

In all honesty, I saw the play offs as a massive outside shot in the scheme of things, and prior to them there was a large part of me that wished the season ended after the Morton game, as it was the perfect send off to a wonderful campaign.

Spot on buddy.

On 13/05/2022 at 22:41, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Old school excellence, unlucky, but well played.

crowd.thumb.jpg.705f9529520e22d0290ba87daf79b2de.jpg

Look forward to catching up next  season......hopefully Saintees can join us   😉

Pretty gutted.

To have followed these last few seasons has been an absolute pleasure, I don't know if I will ever see anything like this ever again! The squad is decent though and if it can stick together and add a few gems of signings like DC has a recent history of doing for us, then who knows, we might have a great chance of the playoffs again next season, but to see Gayfield absolutely hoaching, huge interest in the club not just locally, and with tons of new and older fans returning through the turnstile together - probably not seen since the McGrain days? They started my interest in the team, this team will be doing the same for hundreds of people too ; and even if this surge in gate numbers is temporary the money made from it is going towards the future of the team.

Every single Arab or Dee I've met in recent years (after a drink) always admit they LOVE Arbroath too, and the thought of playing against Dundee again (and beating them!) along with a possible chance to win away at McDiarmid (hope ICT go up, tbh but think Saints will waltz it over two legs)is exciting enough.

Another season in the Championship? f**k, Aye!

Michael Stewart is a cretin. Shite pundit and was a shite player too however I'm not entirely sure duffys second yellow was the right decision. First red was spot on though. 

What's the arbroath fans thoughts in next season? Will you keep the majority of your squad? Low was in the local paper saying he'd love to play for Morton. Wouldn't be against signing him to be honest. 

Now the dust has settled and the disappointment has subsided slightly let’s look back on the 2021/22 season. So…..

Favourite Memory of the season ? (Beating Morton and going top of the league in December)

Favourite Goal of the season ? (McKenna vs Dunfermline on Boxing Day)

Favourite Away Day ? (2-0 win at QOS at start of the season. Gorgeous day, lovely performance and a cracking travelling support)

Your Player of the Season ? (Ricky Little)

My answers in the brackets

Edited by lichtie23

34 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Antell signs for Berwick 

Good move for him if he's going to be first choice. Was never quite good enough for the Championship although he still played a part in our fantastic season. Best of luck to him.

Edited by Tattie36