The Arbroath Thread

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Finding Arbroath fans underestimating the jump in quality and difference in players needed if they somehow find themselves promoted really funny. You’d be needing 8 new players easily. Gaston would probably do but he’d be under a lot more pressure than he is this season.

Calling Ricky Little average isn’t an insult. He’s fine at this level but he can absolutely be exposed to anything that isn’t a long ball launched in his general direction. Does the no nonsense type stuff really well though.

All centre halves in the Scottish Prem play it out like?

37 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Finding Arbroath fans underestimating the jump in quality and difference in players needed if they somehow find themselves promoted really funny. You’d be needing 8 new players easily. Gaston would probably do but he’d be under a lot more pressure than he is this season.

Calling Ricky Little average isn’t an insult. He’s fine at this level but he can absolutely be exposed to anything that isn’t a long ball launched in his general direction. Does the no nonsense type stuff really well though.

There is a jump of course but players can also raise their game and end up playing comfortably at the level they are at. Same could be said when you drop down a level you find your level dropping to that standard 

All centre halves in the Scottish Prem play it out like?

Please point to where I said that?

Whenever we’ve played Arbroath I’ve found Little to be very easily exposed to speed and balls in behind him. I’d compare him to Jamie Adams or Steven Bell when they played for us. Pretty solid and won’t lose many physical battles but if you make them turn then you’ll get a lot of joy out of them. I think there’s a good few players in your team that work exceptionally well in the way Campbell has you playing. Even at this level if you were to put them in another team I don’t think they’d look half as good. If you go up a level you’ll be up against much better opposition and there will be some players that’ll be very much out there depth in that league.

This isn’t an argument that is exclusive to Arbroath btw. Kilmarnock have a hell of a job on there hands of bringing players in and shifting some deadwood.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Please point to where I said that?

Whenever we’ve played Arbroath I’ve found Little to be very easily exposed to speed and balls in behind him. I’d compare him to Jamie Adams or Steven Bell when they played for us. Pretty solid and won’t lose many physical battles but if you make them turn then you’ll get a lot of joy out of them. I think there’s a good few players in your team that work exceptionally well in the way Campbell has you playing. Even at this level if you were to put them in another team I don’t think they’d look half as good. If you go up a level you’ll be up against much better opposition and there will be some players that’ll be very much out there depth in that league.

This isn’t an argument that is exclusive to Arbroath btw. Kilmarnock have a hell of a job on there hands of bringing players in and shifting some deadwood.

No chance. Ricky main weakness is being on the ball. He’s quick, strong, reads the game well, gets up well and is good in the tackle. Defensively he’s sound and him and Tam are the best partnership we could put together regardless of what league were in

Under no illusions that we’d need to strengthen either if we somehow got up but I’m sure Ricky would do just fine

Is Little not quite small (no pun intended) for a CB? That was one of the things we found out when we went up last time, centre halves who'd strolled the championship could get ragdolled quite easily as every Premiership team had at least one semi capable big guy up front and even if they were pretty hopeless technically, they could cause issues by just size (Calvin zola springs to mind) and so we ended up signing far bigger guys from second season up onwards. 

Suppose there will always be Cannavaro style exceptions. Would be really interesting to see who Arbroath kept / signed if you went up. 

Edited by Fuctifano

9 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Is Little not quite small (no pun intended) for a CB? That was one of the things we found out when we went up last time, centre halves who'd strolled the championship could get ragdolled quite easily as every Premiership team had at least one semi capable big guy up front and even if they were pretty hopeless technically, they could cause issues by just size (Calvin zola springs to mind) and so we ended up signing far bigger guys from second season up onwards. 

Suppose there will always be Cannavaro style exceptions. Would be really interesting to see who Arbroath kept / signed if you went up. 

Yeah he is but you’d never know it. Ricky been here 10 year nearly. Seen him play top sides, he’s a really good defender. Maybe wouldn’t be great in the Premiership but I’d be surprised if we could get better than him. 

Anyway.... we’re still miles away from having this problem

Tough tough game tomorrow and if we managed to come through that then St Johnstone looks a real tough ask 

This chat very premature right now 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Been on to buy tickets twice tonight. Transaction number has gone up 250 in 4 hours

I bought 3 tickets in total, so by my rough calculation that's approx 100 per hour being sold.

I wouldn't be leaving it too late !!

On 30/04/2022 at 13:26, yang11 said:

I've recently moved to the area and I really admire the team's  incredible journey this season. Hoping to catch the play-off game in 2 weeks - where's the best bit of the stadium to sit for atmosphere? 

Thanks everyone for replying!!

I've got my tickets for Friday's game and wanted to know how ticketing works? Can I just stand anywhere on the terraces? First-come-first-served? 

22 minutes ago, yang11 said:

Thanks everyone for replying!!

I've got my tickets for Friday's game and wanted to know how ticketing works? Can I just stand anywhere on the terraces? First-come-first-served? 

Yes, stand wherever you like. Depending on segregation, you'll notice that many fans will move to whichever end we're shooting towards.

I've been googling Jack Hamilton for years now and only in the last few months has he finally started showing in the search results ahead of his namesake the Morton keeper. Thanks to Arbroath for solving this terrible inconvenience for me! Hope he scores tonight and good luck, Lichties.

I am sorry that Arbroath lost on penalties.

However Arbroath have had the support of many here in England. They have raised the profile of the league tremendously. It has been a pleasure watching them the past year. 

Well done to everyone at the club for a fantastic achievement.