The Arbroath Thread

28 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I would agree if we’re in the Championship but it really depends on what league we’re in. Got to be brutally honest and realistic - if we go up then probably half the current squad (at least) just simply won’t be good enough… that’s if we want to go up and compete as opposed to accepting we’re coming straight back down.

Given your chairman has said you are staying part time regardless and you want to get rid of at least half your squad that’s going to be a tough ask as Arbroath arguably have the best part time players in the country. 
Who in the current team would be good enough In your opinion at having a crack at the premier league?

1 hour ago, Monkfish85 said:

Given your chairman has said you are staying part time regardless and you want to get rid of at least half your squad that’s going to be a tough ask as Arbroath arguably have the best part time players in the country. 
Who in the current team would be good enough In your opinion at having a crack at the premier league?

Gaston, O’Brien, Little, Low and Jack Hamilton are probably premier league class. Well O’Brien definitely is. 

1 hour ago, Monkfish85 said:

Gaston, Little, ToB, Hammy, McKenna, Low, Scotty Stewart I could see as starters and the rest of the guys we have signed (there’s not many signed only 13 I think) could be good squad players but we’d need to make 7/8 quality signings but at the end of the day we would be favourites for the drop.   

Arbroath fans will disagree but O’Brien is the only one that would manage the step up comfortably.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Gaston, Little, ToB, Hammy, McKenna, Low, Scotty Stewart I could see as starters and the rest of the guys we have signed (there’s not many signed only 13 I think) could be good squad players but we’d need to make 7/8 quality signings but at the end of the day we would be favourites for the drop.   

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Arbroath fans will disagree but O’Brien is the only one that would manage the step up comfortably.

It’s hard to judge that . Arbroath would be going into a division where they have the weakest squad on paper every week so how could that be comfortable for one player ? You could put a premier league player in the Arbroath team next season and they would struggle as the other 10 players will be weaker than the opposition. 
O’Brien stepping into a premier league team and looking comfortable is a complete different situation and one I would agree with. 

I’m all honesty it’s remarkable to even be talking about Arbroath in the premier league . There were probably players from league 1 to championship that fans thought couldn’t make the jump and they have. 
It’s been a great story this season and one I’ve enjoyed following 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Gaston could easily play in the top league. You don’t think Jack Hamilton is good enough? I reckon if given a chance at Livy he would do well. Nicky Low has the ability but fitness would be his issue. Ricky is a superb CB.

Im not saying these guys would get into the Bigot brothers lineups but they could definitely play for the likes of St Mirren, Aberdeen or Livingston 

It’s hard to judge that . Arbroath would be going into a division where they have the weakest squad on paper every week so how could that be comfortable for one player ? You could put a premier league player in the Arbroath team next season and they would struggle as the other 10 players will be weaker than the opposition. 
O’Brien stepping into a premier league team and looking comfortable is a complete different situation and one I would agree with. 

I was more meaning he could probably comfortably play a mid table Premiership team. He’d manage for Arbroath but would maybe struggle with the same players around him.

Gaston could easily play in the top league. You don’t think Jack Hamilton is good enough? I reckon if given a chance at Livy he would do well. Nicky Low has the ability but fitness would be his issue. Ricky is a superb CB.

Im not saying these guys would get into the Bigot brothers lineups but they could definitely play for the likes of St Mirren, Aberdeen or Livingston 

Hamilton won’t make it for Livingston imo. Low will struggle in the top flight due to barely being able to train let alone keep fit and Ricky Little is a very average centre half who can do the basics at this level very well but is made better by O’Brien.

O’Brien is the only one that would go a start for a Premiership team at the minute.

12 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

I’m all honesty it’s remarkable to even be talking about Arbroath in the premier league . There were probably players from league 1 to championship that fans thought couldn’t make the jump and they have. 
It’s been a great story this season and one I’ve enjoyed following 

Never mind League 1, we still have 3 players that were with us in League 2.

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hamilton won’t make it for Livingston imo. Low will struggle in the top flight due to barely being able to train let alone keep fit and Ricky Little is a very average centre half who can do the basics at this level very well but is made better by O’Brien.

O’Brien is the only one that would go a start for a Premiership team at the minute.

Ricky Little is not average. He’s a brilliant defender and one of the best in this division

1 minute ago, CO2000 said:

& look at Cove, good few from when they were in the HL

We signed one of the cove players and he was actually decent but he couldn’t do the travelling alongside his work. Boy Blair Yule. It really is absolutely bizarre how there’s so many good part time players that are Aberdeen based. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Of course it is a game of opinions, not sure you have watched our players enough to say only O'Brien but you may be right as I appreciate its a jump up.

We would need to make 7 or 8 premier league standard players which would maybe coincide with the likes of McKenna, Stewart, Little and Low upping their level further playing with better players. Its all hypothetical anyway, our management team don't seem to be the types to rest on their laurels so even if we stay down I imagine we will strengthen the squad again.

Henderson will be good enough at either centre back or left back.

Finding the Ricky little being “average” really funny

Finding Arbroath fans underestimating the jump in quality and difference in players needed if they somehow find themselves promoted really funny. You’d be needing 8 new players easily. Gaston would probably do but he’d be under a lot more pressure than he is this season.

Calling Ricky Little average isn’t an insult. He’s fine at this level but he can absolutely be exposed to anything that isn’t a long ball launched in his general direction. Does the no nonsense type stuff really well though.

Finding Arbroath fans underestimating the jump in quality and difference in players needed if they somehow find themselves promoted really funny. You’d be needing 8 new players easily. Gaston would probably do but he’d be under a lot more pressure than he is this season.

Calling Ricky Little average isn’t an insult. He’s fine at this level but he can absolutely be exposed to anything that isn’t a long ball launched in his general direction. Does the no nonsense type stuff really well though.

I didn’t say anything about him moving up, or what we’d need. I’m well aware that there is a jump in quality. Just Ricky little is not an “average” defender