The Arbroath Thread

2nd place pratically secured.
1 point off top.
2 goals better off.
And playing great football.

A win for us.
Killie losing.
And Raith winning to hopefully be still fighting for the playoffa on the last game where they host Killie.

Friday is going to be huge.

We win we go 2 points clear. A draw could be enough to win the league.

We draw and can still win the league if we draw our last game and Killie lose to Raith. Or we win and Killie fail to win.

Really bizarre that Dick Campbell is back in an almost identical position as he was in 1996 as Pars assistant under Bert Paton.

Penultimate game of the season we went to title favourites and much fancied Dundee United. If they won they'd have been champions but Stewart Petrie's goal was enough to send us top and we then sealed the title the following week by beating Airdrie.

Hopefully will be able to make it along on Friday night as a neutral; should be a belter!

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Really bizarre that Dick Campbell is back in an almost identical position as he was in 1996 as Pars assistant under Bert Paton.

Penultimate game of the season we went to title favourites and much fancied Dundee United. If they won they'd have been champions but Stewart Petrie's goal was enough to send us top and we then sealed the title the following week by beating Airdrie.

Hopefully will be able to make it along on Friday night as a neutral; should be a belter!

I'd like to double this up with the Dunfermline win at Tannadice under Leishman (to stay up?) - and would very much like to see a Dick Campbell aeroplane celebration at full time next Friday night. Potentially Dick could one up things, live up to his name, and go for a helicopter celebration instead.....? :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'd like to double this up with the Dunfermline win at Tannadice under Leishman (to stay up?) - and would very much like to see a Dick Campbell aeroplane celebration at full time next Friday night. Potentially Dick could one up things, live up to his name, and go for a helicopter celebration instead.....? :ph34r:

It pretty much did keep us up, although we still tried our best to chuck it all away at Killie on the final day...

I think today is easily our best performance of the calendar year - we were outstanding in the second half and although it took 15/ 20 minutes to get into the game, once we settled we really began to play football.

It honestly deflies belief in so many ways that here we are, in the middle of April, playing games at the top end of the Championship and comfortably winning them in front of nearly 2,500 people. We haven't had that many people in the home end at Gayfield for a standard league match for 40 odd years I don't think.... In the 90s and 00s there will have been entire seasons where there's no chance we had 2,500 different people come to Gayfield to support Arbroath FFS.

All I've wanted for months is for us to go into this Kilmarnock game with it being a competitive fixture and the league still up for grabs, and we've done that. We've managed to keep our magnificent start to the season going, add to it, adapt to losing key players, ride out a bad run of form and here we fucking are - 34 games in and we're still here, and still showing what we can do. It's absolutely incredible :)

This season we've all been extremely lucky to see some of the best players we'll ever see in an Arbroath strip. It's absolutely unquestionable that in my time supporting the club, Joel Nouble and Jack Hamilton are the two best forward players we've ever had. Noubs absolutely outstanding outside the box, and Hamilton absolutely outstanding inside it.

Mon the smokies, for the next 2 games, the whole of Scottish fitba is behind you. Fantastic season for Arbroath and finishing 1st will send a shock wave through Scottish fitbas.

Great team and example of how to run a club, with great supporters, unlike my useless bloody club

16 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I think today is easily our best performance of the calendar year - we were outstanding in the second half and although it took 15/ 20 minutes to get into the game, once we settled we really began to play football.

It honestly deflies belief in so many ways that here we are, in the middle of April, playing games at the top end of the Championship and comfortably winning them in front of nearly 2,500 people. We haven't had that many people in the home end at Gayfield for a standard league match for 40 odd years I don't think.... In the 90s and 00s there will have been entire seasons where there's no chance we had 2,500 different people come to Gayfield to support Arbroath FFS.

All I've wanted for months is for us to go into this Kilmarnock game with it being a competitive fixture and the league still up for grabs, and we've done that. We've managed to keep our magnificent start to the season going, add to it, adapt to losing key players, ride out a bad run of form and here we fucking are - 34 games in and we're still here, and still showing what we can do. It's absolutely incredible :)

This season we've all been extremely lucky to see some of the best players we'll ever see in an Arbroath strip. It's absolutely unquestionable that in my time supporting the club, Joel Nouble and Jack Hamilton are the two best forward players we've ever had. Noubs absolutely outstanding outside the box, and Hamilton absolutely outstanding inside it.

Too right mate 

48 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Couldn’t have put it better myself, I think we can do it. Was always just content to get to play offs but it’s on now, big time 

36 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Couldn’t have put it better myself, I think we can do it. Was always just content to get to play offs but it’s on now, big time 

As a life lomg Cowden fan I know our clubs have had their ups and downs relationship wise at time but I genuinely hoe you guts can see this through to the end it would be so deserved and real shake up for the Scotiish game success earned not bought.

Edited by Blue Oktober
typo

All I've wanted for months is for us to go into this Kilmarnock game with it being a competitive fixture and the league still up for grabs, and we've done that. We've managed to keep our magnificent start to the season going, add to it, adapt to losing key players, ride out a bad run of form and here we fucking are - 34 games in and we're still here, and still showing what we can do. It's absolutely incredible [emoji4]

You’ve had a fantastic season and I thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Gayfield earlier in the season. Obviously I’m going on Friday praying for a Killie win but if we end up losing out to the Lichties I couldn’t grudge you your success. How many do you think you will bring down? Surely a big response from the town? Hoping for a 10k attendance and I think we’ll just do enough to nick it.