The Arbroath Thread

11 hours ago, ecto said:

It is a great achievement, I have this niggling feeling that this league, as unpredictable as it is, was there to be won, by us

It still is, KTF, if we don't get a good result against ICT I am going to be a paranoid wreck when we play you. No matter what happens if Dick Campbell doesn't win MOTY then it is a disgrace.

9 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Bloody playoffs - ruining (or at least cutting severely short) what used to be, as an Arbroath supporter, my favourite part of the season, the summer break.   Only the juniors used to be playing into late May .....if we were fortunate enough to progress.    Well that just does it - it's going to have to be 3 straight wins to finish top (hoping the current leaders drop something long the way) so we can avoid this nonsense.   

Until 10 years ago when we won our first championship in League Two after 133 years in existence, all our previous promotions were as runners-up, apart from the playoff win at Stranraer in what 2008. (?).  To be fair, the playoffs keep interest in these small divisions alive till the end of the season but, that one success apart, we have never really performed that well in them.

Edited by farflung lichtie

18 minutes ago, Fraser210 said:

Has anyone got a photo of us playing wearing this kit? I can't find any photos of us ever wearing it?

https://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/a/arbroath/old-arbroath-football-shirt-s30309.html

We wore that kit first game of the season circa 2001 in Division one , when we won away to Ross County 2 or 3 nil iirc. 

Think we wore it on the last day of the 00-01 season when we got beat 2-1 away to clydebank too in the days when clubs showed their new kits for the coming season. Promotion was already secured and gav swankie scored his first goal for the club.

4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

It still is, KTF, if we don't get a good result against ICT I am going to be a paranoid wreck when we play you. No matter what happens if Dick Campbell doesn't win MOTY then it is a disgrace.

He should even if we don’t go up but I don’t think he will. It’ll probably be Postecoglou or even Van Bronckhorst if Rangers win the Europa League or even get to the final.

I would have Campbell, Hartley and Thomson above those two but you know what Scottish fitba’s like.

Edited by Tattie36

5 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

2-0 Heenan and Mallan. Great day.

Kevin Heenan what a lad,was on holiday with him and another Smokie at the time Greig Henslee.He had just come back from a trial at Liverpool then went on holiday with us a few days later too good old Magaluf.

48 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

2-0 Heenan and Mallan. Great day.

It certainly was. My girlfriend at the time’s brother lived in Dingwall so I was up for the weekend. The day was slightly ruined though as I developed a horrific headache after the game which put paid to my planned celebratory beers and Chinese takeaway 😆 

Kevin Heenan what a lad,was on holiday with him and another Smokie at the time Greig Henslee.He had just come back from a trial at Liverpool then went on holiday with us a few days later too good old Magaluf.

Henslee was very good for us. Was gutted when he bailed for the Mo.

Further to the memories of Tommy Walker above, I took the in-laws to Adambrae Cemetery in Livingston this afternoon to visit their family graves.

In the row behind, there was a gravestone of a footballer, with a familiar badge on his kit.

The grave was that of Pat Henderson, who played centre-forward for the club between 1964 - 1967, just a couple of years before I started attending.

Do any older Lichties recall him?

20220410_121412 (1).jpg

What an incredible honour, to Pat Henderson and the Club  !!

Sadly that was just beyond my time. 68 - 69, Williamson Bruce Cargill Stirling Jack Sellars Cant is the earliest I can do.

Love seeing stuff like this. 

Proud to be a Lichtie.

48 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

Henslee was very good for us. Was gutted when he bailed for the Mo.

Just retired from the game last year,had a stint in NZ with Hawkes Bay Utd for a few years.Johnathan Gould ex Celtic Goalkeeper was his manager along with his dad Bobby Gould.Ended up finishing his career in Australia with a couple clubs Brisbane strikers the last team he played for I'm sure.

Ended up meeting a fair few Arbroath players during that time all good lads.A remember going to Glasgow for a few nights after your last game of the season for a sesh with Marc Mculloch a think he was on loan at you boys at the time from Morton? Alex Williams was with us too that's when he was banging in the goals for Morton he was screw loose that boy.

11 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Adambrae Cemetery in Livingston 

In the row behind, there was a gravestone of a footballer, with a familiar badge on his kit. The grave was that of Pat Henderson, who played centre-forward for the club between 1964 - 1967, just a couple of years before I started attending.

Do any older Lichties recall him?

I vaguely recall him as a tall, solid older style centre forward.  I have recollections he scored a few in an enjoyable 9-2 home win over Forfar

Edited by farflung lichtie