The Arbroath Thread

While the vast majority will agree this squad of players have been an absolute priviledge to watch and deserve nothing but praise for their performances at this level over the past 15 months, it is very disappointing to hear some full on abuse of players creeping in from the stands. Completely unneccessary at the worst of times in my opinion, let alone the best of times, which is where we're at right now.

On the flip side, it was great to see the majority of the support in the ground at full time applaud the team off. This team deserve our full support every week until the end of the season, and I hope we all stick behind them so we can fully appreciate and celebrate a fantastic season at the end of it, as whatever happens from here on in, that's what it's been.

The club took a conscious decision at the start of the season to operate a smaller playing squad and this is coming to bite us a bit.

However, and this is the important part, if we had spread our playing budget across more players, there is next to no chance we'd be in the position we're in.

We're in the second tier, 29 games in, and the title is still in our own hands! We've not been playing well for 5 or 6 weeks and we've finally been punished. Hopefully this can spark a bit of a response in our next couple of games.

A lot of frustrating from fans is probably down to the lethargic play from the team these past few games.

The second goal yesterday especially showed a lack of effort to get back and defend. And that was after 10 minutes.

The team has slowed up considerably from what they were doing in the first half of the season and it shows.

Just need to get behind the boys and encourage them to get the points.

20 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

A lot of frustrating from fans is probably down to the lethargic play from the team these past few games.

The second goal yesterday especially showed a lack of effort to get back and defend. And that was after 10 minutes.

The team has slowed up considerably from what they were doing in the first half of the season and it shows.

Just need to get behind the boys and encourage them to get the points.

Yes we have definitely lost some sharpness that was evident earlier in the campaign much more difficult for part timers to keep up that level of intensity for a whole season. 

44 minutes ago, keptie said:

Yes we have definitely lost some sharpness that was evident earlier in the campaign much more difficult for part timers to keep up that level of intensity for a whole season. 

Also don't think the recruitment in January was as good as it was at the start of the season, Hamilton and Wighton, as hard as they try, does not look like a pairing that works, now I am aware that hindsight is 20/20, a left sided player and a creative centre midfielder, would probably be helping us now, also as well as the manager has done, it does not make him immune from criticism

1 hour ago, stan3600 said:

The Terrace Podcast lower leagues team of the season (well, Sean McGuigan’s) includes 3 Arbroath players - Tom O’Brien, Nicky Low and Mickey McKenna. Heady times. Well deserved.

Amazed Nicky Low is in that team as he’s only played about half the games this season. Shows how how good and influential he is.

On 15/12/2021 at 11:30, SotesBornalichtie said:

Posting about Ian Stirling's passing set me thinking about other teams of my youth and one got stuck in my head for some reason and I can't think why. Does anyone else remember this team? Probably from late 1950s early 1960s.

Bobby Williamson

Tom McLevy   Jake Young (capt)

John Brown   Jim Fraser    Alec Wright

Gibby Sheriffs   Charlie Dunn   Dave Easson   Derek Grierson   Tommy Quinn.

I don't remember Derek Grierson being with us very long. Think Tommy Quinn stayed a little longer.

Hi. Do you remember Tommy quinn. Tommy was my papa. Didn’t know anything about him as a footballer and this came up when I googled him

Only 5 weeks ago we beat Kilmarnock 1-0 at Gayfield - there was no Dowds or Nouble in the squad ( but we did have Nicky Low bossing the midfield).

Wighton and Jack Hamilton are great signings - they will score goals and could help us win the championship - but they need better service.

Nicky Low returning will be a game changer - but only if he's ready as would hate to make his injury worse due to returning too soon.

Since the cup match against Hibs our form has dipped - but this coincided with almost all the teams in the Championship losing their form.

Still lots of twits and turns to come in the final run of games - I am confident Killie will lose and draw a few games.

If Arbroath rediscover their form I think this will go to the wire - DC and the coaching squad need to get rally the players and get them ready for what could be an historic season in the club's history.

Absolutely all to play for, still in our own hands and we are very much in the mix - we have the players who can make this happen, thats for definite. 

15 hours ago, Ryan m said:

Hi. Do you remember Tommy quinn. Tommy was my papa. Didn’t know anything about him as a footballer and this came up when I googled him

Just a bit before my time mate.

I have seen him mentioned in various teamsheets however.  If they're still mentioning him he's still a legend  😉

6 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

TOB, Colin Hamilton,Chris Hamilton, M Mckenna and Ricky have all been picking up bookings quite regularly over the weeks. Any idea how close some of them may be to a suspension??

I think after the 22nd game of the season all accumulated bookings were scrapped and you started with 0. 

58 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Just a bit before my time mate.

I have seen him mentioned in various teamsheets however.  If they're still mentioning him he's still a legend  😉

Cheers. Do you know where I could track down any old programmes or team photos from that time?

I think its going to be a big ask to win the league now, its still very possible and keeping in there until the Kilmarnock game would make things interesting, lets hope we can do that. 2nd is better than 3rd, and 3rd better than 4th so hopefully we can pick up some wins and consolidate in the top 4.

That said, we do have some players who seem to have lost their form over the past month, McKenna and Stewart out of sorts who were both phenomenal up until the end of January, Thomson doesn't look right and we're not creating enough for the front players. I don't buy the whole Dowds and Nouble excuse either, without them against Killie and for large part of the Hibs game we looked dangerous and created chances.

I think its going to be a big ask to win the league now, its still very possible and keeping in there until the Kilmarnock game would make things interesting, lets hope we can do that. 2nd is better than 3rd, and 3rd better than 4th so hopefully we can pick up some wins and consolidate in the top 4.
That said, we do have some players who seem to have lost their form over the past month, McKenna and Stewart out of sorts who were both phenomenal up until the end of January, Thomson doesn't look right and we're not creating enough for the front players. I don't buy the whole Dowds and Nouble excuse either, without them against Killie and for large part of the Hibs game we looked dangerous and created chances.

If Nicky Low played all the remaining games this season I’d give us a chance, but it’s unlikely. Without him and Nouble’s spark we’re too direct and it doesn’t suit Jack H or Wighton.

4 hours ago, Smokerson said:

With Low playing centre mid, we have a shout,without Low, our midfield is a creative black hole, Big Hammy and Wighton, good players, but together they don't look like a partnership, if Low is fit, that allows McKenna to play further forward, possibly instead of Wighton

Onwards and upwards boys.

Let's get some points on the board this weekend.

Personally I wouldn't even be thinking about winning the championship now. A good solid play off position would be a fantastic achievement  !!