The Arbroath Thread

3 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

We are so much better with Nicky in the team. More controlled, less long ball stuff - like proper contenders. Like Andy Penman in the Olsen days.

Nouble and Dowds Away yes.... but now we don’t have to go back to front so quick. Nicky will step in and take the ball off everyone and pull the strings in there 

3 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

We are so much better with Nicky in the team. More controlled, less long ball stuff - like proper contenders. Like Andy Penman in the Olsen days.

Aye, it was a bold step, playing twin American actresses as our strikers. It's not surprising we failed to get into the original Premier LeagueAshley Mary-Kate Olsen 2011 Shankbone 3.jpg

26 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

I'll take my lead off the gaffer.

Another win and we're just about safe.

We’re only getting promoted and winning the league so that we can’t get relegated and we are safe in the Championship until atleast the year 2024

All part of the master plan 

Know what would be magic. 

That big spreadsheet of the current squad and how many games they’ve played etc

Some guys must be racking up some incredible numbers. It really is a proper club. Even with Wighton and Hamilton coming back in there. Doesn’t feel like they’re new, just a proper togetherness and identity about us. What a job DC Pink the board and everyone involved 

Two observations.   I think we’d be wise to stay well clear of the ever inflating hype of our ‘fairytale’ - we can certainly derive immense quiet satisfaction from this position and external regard.  Now that the 40 point relegation mark has been reached, I’m ready to talk of competing for the playoffs.  But, apart from the mere superstition of ‘tempting providence’, I would be practically concerned that squad, fans etc might just lose focus on the immediate.  Just under 40% of the season to go anyway so far too early for one thing.

Also how important our defence is a key to our attacking capability.  It not just they chip in a fair proportion of goals regularly but how they create the platform.  Tam and Ricky are of course legendary but we really miss when either JT or Hammy are out and I think it does create a bit of imbalance.   It’s always a joy to see JT, defectively fast, strong and perhaps the best crosser, bombing down into space on the right and creating goal scoring pops. Or big Hammy going forward cleverly probing with the neat passing to the forwards or curling in a cross ( and of course winning the vital penalty).  The strong, mobile central pairing with solid keeper perhaps allow these forward pushes more than other teams but it also makes the overall play entertaining.  A very modern style too (cf Liverpool, Chelsea, albeit on a different planet).  Always a concern when any of the back 5 are out, though in big Henderson, we do have a great potential replacement.

Edited by Farflung

16 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Dear all conquering Lichties. Do any of you know what, if anything, would be required for the wonderful Gayfield to meet Premiership criteria. I think the capacity/all seater rules were scrapped a few years ago.

500 seats apparently. We have over 800 in the stand I believe