The Arbroath Thread

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont have any inside knowledge at all but surely its as simple as he's Falkirk's player, Falkirk pay his wages, they have a new manager who wanted him back? Both player and Dick Campbell can be as keen as they like but its not up to them. 

Good strikers are like hen's teeth in the January window. Arbroath have helped Dowds rediscover his mojo, but Falkirk are desperate for a goalscorer and they'd be mental to let him back out, as Saturday already showed. Unless they are desperate for cash (seems unlikely) then I cant see any motivation for them to let him return.

Pretty much this. The question was asked but Rennie rebuffed it. What happens in the future is anyone's guess though. His contract is up in the summer. If any of our strikers leave in this window it will be Jaime Wilson and/or Samuel Ompreon and at a push possibly Michael Ruth back to Aberdeen from his loan. 

With Wighton and the other bombed strikers I am torn between wanting them to stay, because they are all good enough to start and would get us more goals, and wanting them to be set free and get on with their careers.

Not everyone has to be dragged down by our sinking ship. 

If Wighton is to be a full signing and not just a loan then (imo) there’s no way we’ll get him over e.g. Partick Thistle. Unless it was for a short term deal i.e. until the end of this season.

Quite simply, he’s a full-time football player and unless there’s a change to his personal circumstances/thoughts, then he ain’t going part-time unless he really has to.

Would love to see it though and I will gladly admit to being wrong if it comes off.

Edited by Tattie36

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

If Wighton is to be a full signing and not just a loan then (imo) there’s no way we’ll get him over e.g. Partick Thistle. Unless it was for a short term deal i.e. until the end of this season.

Quite simply, he’s a full-time football player and unless there’s a change to his personal circumstances/thoughts, then he ain’t going part-time unless he really has to.

Would love to see it though and I will gladly admit to being wrong if it comes off.

We have a squad full of players who could be full time players if they wanted to 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We have a squad full of players who could be full time players if they wanted to 

Yes I know that but he IS a full-time player already and will have a lifestyle to suit. Would you give up your full-time job and take a pay cut if another company came in and offered you a full-time position with same or similar wage and hours?

31 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Yes I know that but he IS a full-time player already and will have a lifestyle to suit. Would you give up your full-time job and take a pay cut if another company came in and offered you a full-time position with same or similar wage and hours?

Well it wouldn’t be because he really had to. It would just be a different option worth considering and him weighing it up on the basis of what suits him and his current situation. It’s not like we would be paying him buttons and FT footballers in this league won’t be paid very much

We obviously tried to get him permanent this time last year but Dunfermline offer suited him. Location wise it would have even been decent for going to training etc.

I have heard from a very reliable source that Wighton is pushing to make it happen as he loved it here last time and believes he still has unfinished business here, Now upto Dunfermline to do the business, hopefully get him in before the weekend as him and Jack uptop with Mckenna just behind being supplied by Nicky Low just excites the hell out of me 🇱🇻⚽💪

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

26 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

In the past footballers like Wighton have been offered jobs with people connected to the Club. The combined earnings are probably better than ft football.

Definitely will be better. Average FT wage for teams in this league (Outwith Killie who are still on a prem budget) must only be about 25-35k. Our top earners will be on a very good wage. Don’t know if Wighton will be pushing for it but there’ll definitely be a decision to be made on his part. It won’t be just because he really has to

Wait and see what happens but if we got him in our squad I couldn’t see us flirting with relegation in next few years anyway. I know Dunfermline are right now but that’s for a whole load of other reasons 

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Definitely will be better. Average FT wage for teams in this league (Outwith Killie who are still on a prem budget) must only be about 25-35k. Our top earners will be on a very good wage. Don’t know if Wighton will be pushing for it but there’ll definitely be a decision to be made on his part. It won’t be just because he really has to

Wait and see what happens but if we got him in our squad I couldn’t see us flirting with relegation in next few years anyway. I know Dunfermline are right now but that’s for a whole load of other reasons 

Don’t get complacent.

We went from promotion playoffs to free fall in one season.

19 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Don’t get complacent.

We went from promotion playoffs to free fall in one season.

Yeah I am not really too sure how you and Dunfermline have gotten yourselves into these positions but I have full faith in our board, management and squad to not do the same. Wighton in on a permanent basis would be some boost to us going forward.

Quite skeptical it’ll happen like there’s a few teams in for him and he has a decision to make but I’d be delighted if it did. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie