The Arbroath Thread

4 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Does anyone with genuine inside knowledge know what went wrong with the negations between Arbroath and Falkirk for Dowds - his loan period was up, but both the player and Dick Campbell were keen to sort out an Arbroath move - but late last week any proposed deal with Falkirk collapsed.

I dont have any inside knowledge at all but surely its as simple as he's Falkirk's player, Falkirk pay his wages, they have a new manager who wanted him back? Both player and Dick Campbell can be as keen as they like but its not up to them. 

Good strikers are like hen's teeth in the January window. Arbroath have helped Dowds rediscover his mojo, but Falkirk are desperate for a goalscorer and they'd be mental to let him back out, as Saturday already showed. Unless they are desperate for cash (seems unlikely) then I cant see any motivation for them to let him return.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Yeah pretty simple it looks, it looks like he didnt quite hit the ground running at Falkirk and there were rumours he had a falling out with the manager / gary holt (who are both away now), he started banging them in and playing well at a higher level so would be madness for them to allow him to stay on loan. 

Happy retirement to Steven Doris, what a brilliant striker during his prime, absolutely loved watching him. Legend

1 minute ago, timlichtie said:

Wighton seems to be a good fit for Arbroath. I’m sure he’d relish getting back into a side where he enjoyed success. Would it be a loan? How would it then affect any games against the Pars?

Only 1 game left v them. It would be a loan. Out of contract in summer I’m sure.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Always liked Steven Doris, always gave 100% and never hid in a game. Well worth a hall of fame place.

Could tell, when he had that injury against Albion Rovers, that it was a bad one when he went down and didn't get up. It's a shame he couldn't get back to his best but he will always be remembered as a member of our first title winning team. I wish him all the best for the future.

1 minute ago, timlichtie said:

Wighton seems to be a good fit for Arbroath. I’m sure he’d relish getting back into a side where he enjoyed success. Would it be a loan? How would it then affect any games against the Pars?

Based on the past few weeks, I'm fairly certain we could play Stevie Doris, Jimmy Doris, 75 year old Jimmy Jack or the ghost of John Petrie up top against Dunfermline and be favourites for the win.

This window is always a very interesting one, because there's obviously lots of different things going on aside from actual signings in January with pre contract stuff, out of favour players like Wighton looking at loans until leaving permenantly in the summer and others potentially signing a pre contract to give their current team a nudge towards accepting an offer for them/ letting them go now and not keeping an unhappy player for another 4 months eating into the wage bill. I'm sure we've got eyes, ears and pens involved in all of these situations :)

6 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Loan players not allowed to play v their  parent club at this level even if the parent club has no objection. 

1 minute ago, lichtiekev said:

Amazing if true...

Also be good to get Wighton back, would be surprised if it did happen though, I'd have Thomas too if dunfermline are willing

No balloting for Darvel and they will hopefully bring a decent crowd  🤞🏻 

2 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Amazing if true...

Also be good to get Wighton back, would be surprised if it did happen though, I'd have Thomas too if dunfermline are willing

It would be amazing yeah

But it’s sad having to say that, it shouldn’t be amazing, it should just be standard. Politicians shouldn’t be and should never have been restricting people’s freedoms.

Hopefully this is the last of it  

20 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

Stupid question shoot me down if you like but can’t we play Saturdays game on Monday then ?

I’d be very much up for that as a supporter. Players might not like the change of routine though 

Despite the good news about the crowds it still does seem utterly ludicrous that we can only have 500 at Saturdays game but 10,000 on monday night. Actually laughable the more i think about it.

Seems weird that Wighton hasnt worked out at Dunfermline, would take him back in a minute, he was great in his last spell.

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Despite the good news about the crowds it still does seem utterly ludicrous that we can only have 500 at Saturdays game but 10,000 on monday night. Actually laughable the more i think about it.

Seems weird that Wighton hasnt worked out at Dunfermline, would take him back in a minute, he was great in his last spell.

Totally agree. I am not political. I would not hire any of them. But you would think, knowing the importance to the community of championship and lower league football and the importances of even these small crowds to the clubs that they would let Crowds even up to 2500 happen? But hey you need to care, and unfortunately they dont care .