The Arbroath Thread

Probably one of our poorest performances of the season,
But with 6 players and the management team out and it must be looked at as a tremendous result, Topped off with top of the league Xmas,
Would sign Dowds and Hamilton now, could see how much it meant to then at then end,

I've just looked at the league table and I'm rubbing my eyes in amazement. I believe your squad's still part-time, is it not? I had to a quick swatch of your ground, which I believe will now be accepted into the top flight! :)

https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/scottish-spl-premier-and-football-league-clubs/scottish-championship/arbroath-gayfield-park.html

There's still a long way to go, yet, but it's nearly Christmas and you're occupying top-spot in a very tight league. You've got to believe you can do it. I bet you're praying for a lockdown and the league to be called... 😆

If you do get promoted, you'll need to install a few more crush barriers I reckon. 

That was, by some margin, the worst I’ve seen us play this season so to grind out a win and end the day top of the league is incredible. Especially with the missing players and management.

I thought Morton were decent and played nice passing football at times, totally deserving their equaliser. No where near the worst team we’ve played this season and if they continue to play like that they will easily avoid relegation.

As a supporter of well over 40 years, this is dreamland.

I've not been to Gayfield in two years - mostly due to Covid and living away.

That was absolutely brilliant. The game itself was quite poor and very difficult to see for long periods, but the last 25 mins were magic and the way results were going. We were quite close to the Morton fans (how many 80?) when they equalized and quite righly they were going wild, but doing it back 10 mins later or so and to know soon after ''we are top o' the league noo'' was JUST AMAZING.

Walking away at the end, everyone was bouncing! Magnificent seeing so many younger lads showing an interest in the team, and a healthy-ish crowd. I didn't even know the Campbells were out and super Rab on the bench/coaching/in those magnificent shorts on a baltic December day.

Very hard to try and figure out who was good or bad, but from where I was. Nouble was very good in the second half, this might sound harsh but that wee bit of skill he lacks/running the ball out or poor final ball/decision is probably why he is not at a bigger team or playing at a higher level. I hope to God somehow we can keep him on,  he's a great lad as well.

Dowds did well. Linn was a bit disappointing, but nothing to warrant major criticism of. It wasn't a classic performance, but the drive and commitment at 1-1 from Arbroath to go on and win that was amazing. Even when they equalised, and we weren't playing THAT great, I just felt another goal was coming, even if can struggle to score. To think McKenna, Tam and The Campbells' were missing too.

Honestly, just been absolutely buzzing. I really hope to get back more next year. I have no idea what will happen, but with 50% of the season done, Arbroath are top of the Championship! There's no one in this league we should fear. ICT started well but toiling a wee bit ; Killie have been a bit meh, and it'll be interesting to see what they do without Wright (TBH, I think they should be top with their squad) Thistle seem a bit stop-start ; from the highlights I've seen of Raith, McGlynn is doing great there with a good squad, YET, we shouldn't fear any of them!

Not too be a greedy guts ; but to think it could be even better! Heard we should have won at least two games we drew at Gayfield this season.

I've told about 10 people tonight, many who have no interest in Arbroath or even Scottish fitba ; but f**k it, shouting it from the rooftops.

Mon the Lichties!

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Definately setting the heather on fire guys, I might just hedge my bets and have a few bob on you for the title now as well as us

Sounding like a big sook ; but you guys have been excellent this year as well from what I've seen.

This 2 leagues of 5 the Championship has shaped into is fantastic entertainment.

36 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

That was, by some margin, the worst I’ve seen us play this season so to grind out a win and end the day top of the league is incredible. Especially with the missing players and management.

I thought Morton were decent and played nice passing football at times, totally deserving their equaliser. No where near the worst team we’ve played this season and if they continue to play like that they will easily avoid relegation.

As a supporter of well over 40 years, this is dreamland.

I don't know if I have ever FELT this good about the team.

Up to about 12 I lived in the town, and went regularly. Moved to close to Dundee and didn't get back as much, before not getting back much at all. Started working weekends when I was 19 and maybe got to 4-5 games a year. Ended up abroad traveling, working, and so on and haven't lived in Angus for 12 years but would always try and fit a trip home with a home game (not been to an away game in donkeys, decades even!).

These last five years have been just amazing. And tonight, I don't think I can recall feeling this 'high' even about the team.

Walking up the brae too, everyone chatting to each other and just smiling away! That winner too, in quite an ugly game, its almost impossible to explain that ecstasy  to non-football fans, then looking at the scores going our way.

Simply amazing.

6 minutes ago, Kejan said:

I don't know if I have ever FELT this good about the team.

Up to about 12 I lived in the town, and went regularly. Moved to close to Dundee and didn't get back as much, before not getting back much at all. Started working weekends when I was 19 and maybe got to 4-5 games a year. Ended up abroad traveling, working, and so on and haven't lived in Angus for 12 years but would always try and fit a trip home with a home game (not been to an away game in donkeys, decades even!).

These last five years have been just amazing. And tonight, I don't think I can recall feeling this 'high' even about the team.

Walking up the brae too, everyone chatting to each other and just smiling away! That winner too, in quite an ugly game, its almost impossible to explain that ecstasy  to non-football fans, then looking at the scores going our way.

Simply amazing.

The feeling around the club now is amazing. I left Arbroath at 15, in 1984 but have continued to support the team as much as possible since then. From travelling down and standing on the terraces with 300 others to watch us end up flat last to where we are now is almost unbelievable. 

16 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

The feeling around the club now is amazing. I left Arbroath at 15, in 1984 but have continued to support the team as much as possible since then. From travelling down and standing on the terraces with 300 others to watch us end up flat last to where we are now is almost unbelievable. 

Glory hunting supporters who travel to a city (usually) they have no connection to have no idea what it feels like when your home town team does well. It's what we all hope to see.

Arbroath getting to the Scottish Premiership would be an incredible feat. It's not like you've even got a sugar daddy, have you? Unlike Kelty Hearts or Queens Park, who have a sugar daddy and the proceeds for selling Hampden*.

ETA: Just seen this on the site I linked to above. Was that League Two before The Championship was so-named, i.e. fourth tier? I can't remember when that happened? Actually - just checked and Wikipedia states that it was tier 4. That's truly astonishing. 😵

424972014_Screenshot2021-12-1901_23_05.png.59fbdd30bc4d1dd6d4b7d823d2ab1005.png

I'm delighted for all the true fans of the club. The people who watched them through thick and thin, who kept the club alive and made this happen. Though I hope you get a couple of thousand glory hunters to swell the gates each week. I will be there next season if you make, and possible even if you don't - assuming I'm alive, ambulant and fans are permitted to enter, of course. 

*they were still robbed, though.

Edited by AlbionSaint

With every passing week, I just find this whole thing funnier and funnier in all honesty :lol: Just totally surreal at this point. All of my favourite away days to Annan and Elgin are being eclipsised by turning up and walking over teams like Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle, and I'm struggling to stand in my regular spot at Gayfield due to people outside of the usual faces of the past 20 years taking a real interest in what the team and club have become. It's less than 6 years since I was attending games genuinely petrified we were destined for the Highland League and obscurity, and picking up points against Shire and Annan were huge in our survival.

We've got so much in the bank on and off the pitch right now, that when we 'drop' points at home or on the rare occaision we lose (2 losses in 18 games in any division is superb, for us in this division is a nonsense) it doesn't really matter does it? In comparison to where we were, at what we've become on and off the pitch in such a short space of time, a bad run, a poor performance etc, compared to the worry of relegation to the Highland League it pales in comparison. Whatever happens from here on in - this first 18 games has been an absolute joy and easily the best half season in my time supporting the club. 

We've given ourselves a massive, massive opportunity to be the best part time team in the country for a sustained period of time, with what we've got in place both on and off the pitch, and that's good enough for me :) 

I genuinely don't think I'd be too upset if Arbroath won the league instead of us, it would be one of the best stories in Scottish football in a very long time. We'll probably get back up eventually whereas this might be a once in a lifetime chance for Arbroath.

Obviously I'll still be hoping we can smash you at some point but I'd definitely rather see you beat us than Thistle or Inverness.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

With every passing week, I just find this whole thing funnier and funnier in all honesty :lol: Just totally surreal at this point. All of my favourite away days to Annan and Elgin are being eclipsised by turning up and walking over teams like Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle, and I'm struggling to stand in my regular spot at Gayfield due to people outside of the usual faces of the past 20 years taking a real interest in what the team and club have become. It's less than 6 years since I was attending games genuinely petrified we were destined for the Highland League and obscurity, and picking up points against Shire and Annan were huge in our survival.

We've got so much in the bank on and off the pitch right now, that when we 'drop' points at home or on the rare occaision we lose (2 losses in 18 games in any division is superb, for us in this division is a nonsense) it doesn't really matter does it? In comparison to where we were, at what we've become on and off the pitch in such a short space of time, a bad run, a poor performance etc, compared to the worry of relegation to the Highland League it pales in comparison. Whatever happens from here on in - this first 18 games has been an absolute joy and easily the best half season in my time supporting the club. 

We've given ourselves a massive, massive opportunity to be the best part time team in the country for a sustained period of time, with what we've got in place both on and off the pitch, and that's good enough for me :) 

Morning Simon. I am so happy for you currently living the dream. You had a mention in my brother's book, Helicopter Dreams, when Cowden's battles with Arbroath  played a large part in our Championship success.  Club 42 in the SPFL now seems a long way from these glory days and you are very obviously aware that success for your club can be fleeting. I do hope it is lasting for you. One thing I am certain of is that our two clubs  will meet again ( and we will deliver another humping).

Well done to all involved with Arbroath!  The best footballing team in the division by a long chalk with the best management team - as they say, the table doesn't lie.  I have my fingers crossed that you can go on and do "a Leicester". 🤞🤞

Merry Christmas to all Lichties!