The Arbroath Thread

4 hours ago, Lichteeeeee said:

2 goals in 6 starts aint a genuine striker, id say Nouble is a handful and absolute menace and has many good traits, but a natural born finisher he isnt. If he was he wouldnt be here put it that way.

You don’t have to be a natural born finisher whatever that even means to be a striker. A goal every 3 games is actually pretty good too. The stats are meaningless, McKenna has 5 goals in 4 games after scoring 2 the whole of last season.

Nouble as a striker has been taking the ball into his feet, holding the ball up and creating chance after chance for us. He’s been absolutely superb up top and looks like he could be the best striker we’ve had in a long time. Wighton was quality but Nouble so far looks like he might be a step up from him.

Hard to judge the likes of Murray and McManus cause they were playing against teams that were very poor in comparison to what Nouble has faced. Could you imagine the big man in L2. It wouldn’t be fair.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Really poor. I know it's a diddy cup but the current Arbroath team shouldn't ever be losing to kids, even Albion Rovers scudded St Mirren B today.

Thought we started with the totally wrong attitude and lineup - looked like we thought we would just turn up and stroll it with fringe players and didn't really show enough (any) urgency until we went 1-0 down. They then put 11 behind the ball and it was almost impossible to break them down, nice finish by Henderson at the end though. Thought it was never coming after hitting the woodwork 4 times.

Knew we would lose the penalties, you could tell by the body language of the players. Their keeper played well and you just knew he was going to save a couple.

I was impressed with Henderson, Low (as usual), Clarke and Paterson but we look totally toothless without Nouble and McKenna on at the same time. Unfortunately Donnelly and Hilson in particular missed a big chance to step up. This would have been a perfect game for Hilson to demand the ball and run at their defence, but he was almost invisible. Dowds looks slow and unfit.

Ach well, we can concentrate on the league now I suppose. Just disappointing when we should really have won comfortably today against a very average looking side, by far the weakest side we've played this season so far.

Edited by Tattie36

1 minute ago, mo83 said:

You can easy ship Hilson to us on loan if you want?

I'm sure there will be a fair few who will offer to drive him to Links Park for you.

Personally I think he's a good player and has shown flashes but perhaps the Championship is just slightly above his level. Definitely good enough for League 1 and seems like a decent guy.

19 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I'm sure there will be a fair few who will offer to drive him to Links Park for you.

Personally I think he's a good player and has shown flashes but perhaps the Championship is just slightly above his level. Definitely good enough for League 1 and seems like a decent guy.

Not seen him play for you lot in a while but always used to think he was a good player at Forfar and he always seemed to play well against us would happily take him off your hands.

We really got it all wrong today, was no intensity, was so slow, had plenty warnings down our right hand side and that's where the goal come from, subs really didn't work either, Dowds or Hilson looked well short of confidence today and would of kept Low on, him and Paterson offered our only threat, Think Thompson looks like he struggle to get back in the starting 11 to when we are full strength,
Campbell looked absolutely furious after the penalty misses but it shouldn't of even got to that point,

Yes we were poor today and while we probably deserved to nick it over the 90 simply due to hitting the woodwork 4 bloody times, we were sluggish at times and lacked anything in the final third without most of our main attacking threats playing.

However, I'm not overly fussed as ultimately our first 11 were outstanding the past 2 weeks in the league and did the business, and today means very little in comparison to any league game we play. A real training game feel, which I think was hard to avoid considering the overall circumstances. Alternatively, if we played our strongest team and picked up a couple of knocks to key players in a comfortable win, people would be unhappy we risked all our big players.

Yes we were poor today and while we probably deserved to nick it over the 90 simply due to hitting the woodwork 4 bloody times, we were sluggish at times and lacked anything in the final third without most of our main attacking threats playing.
However, I'm not overly fussed as ultimately our first 11 were outstanding the past 2 weeks in the league and did the business, and today means very little in comparison to any league game we play. A real training game feel, which I think was hard to avoid considering the overall circumstances. Alternatively, if we played our strongest team and picked up a couple of knocks to key players in a comfortable win, people would be unhappy we risked all our big players.

Team that can “compete” and kick with the best of them, but when the actual skill comes of kicking a football from 12 yards - SORELY missing ding dong x

3 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I don't think you can approach games with fear of injury, it's just part of the game - play the strongest lineup available and try to win every game, no matter who you're playing. It's also still very early in the season and every minute of game time is crucial as far as fitness and match sharpness goes.

IMO we should have started with our strongest team today, built a lead then swapped out for the fringe players if/when we'd reached that point.

What did today's approach achieve apart from a confidence knocking defeat against a bunch of teenagers.... and definitive proof that we are f*cking hopeless at penalties? A nice comfortable win would have set us up perfectly for next week, and would have kept the good run and feel-good factor going.

Edited by Tattie36

I don't think you can approach games with fear of injury, it's just part of the game - play the strongest lineup available and try to win every game, no matter who you're playing. It's also still very early in the season and every minute of game time is crucial as far as fitness and match sharpness goes.
IMO we should have started with our strongest team today, built a lead then swapped out for the fringe players if/when we'd reached that point.
What did today's approach achieve apart from a confidence knocking defeat against a bunch of teenagers.... and definitive proof that we are f*cking hopeless at penalties? A nice comfortable win would have set us up perfectly for next week, and would have kept the good run and feel-good factor going.
I totally disagree agree with this. It's a worthless cup played against an opposition that's only there to try and get the Old firm B teams into the league. We need players match fit for when we get injuries/suspensions etc and if your not going to play them in a game like this that means nothing when will they get a game? This competition got the respect is deserved which is nothing.