The Arbroath Thread

In the end if you miss 3 penalties you don’t deserve to go through. I understand that Hilson’s penalty was poor but someone shouting “f**k off Hilson” as he trots back to the centre circle isn’t doing anyone any favours. 
Chris Hamilton was impressive again against St Johnston, as he was in the friendly. Could give Dick a selection headache with Thomson returning from injury. 

Nobody should be abused for missing a penalty in a shootout.

Got to say Auld Dick got his teams tactics correct today.  The Smokies were the better team and for part timers they kept on going the full 120 minutes.

Penalties are a lottery but thankfully we won - just!!

Good luck in your league campaign and I hope we dodge you in the Scottish Cup.

Not there, but I was impressed when Dick put on Linn and Paterson for Craigen and Stewart - really going for it. Did it work(ish)?

Strangely they were put on when saints were on top but both looked dangerous and cause the saints defence problems when they did get on the ball

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Patterson should get more game time going off that performance 

Were away to sign Anton Dowds according to the Courier

Good luck with him. He's not a natural goalscorer though. He'll run about and generally be a bit of a nuisance. I thought when we first signed him he would be a decent player but it just hasn't happened. A move is probably best all round. 

Good luck with him. He's not a natural goalscorer though. He'll run about and generally be a bit of a nuisance. I thought when we first signed him he would be a decent player but it just hasn't happened. A move is probably best all round. 

Sounds like dale hilson mkII, not what we need

I thought we were brilliant yesterday, on that performance we certainly have nothing to fear about the championship particularly at home. 

Team selection and substitutions were spot on, which has been a problem in the opening games.

Re Dale Hilson, I am pretty close to giving up on him, there is a player in there no doubt but his penalty miss pretty much sums up his spell with us, just not good enough. I don't buy this penalties is a lottery nonsense, get your head over it, pick a spot and make a good connection. 

What's O'Briens job outside of football? Seems a shame that he's never given full time football a go as he's easily better than a good section of CH's in the top flight.

Gaffer at rosyth dockyards I’m sure. He’s scarily good, makes it look so easy as well.

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

Sounds like dale hilson mkII, not what we need

Or a latter day Doris.

Was a bit surprised by the order of penalty taker yesterday. Even thought TOB or Colin Hamilton may have been in the first 5. At least there are some positive signs from the performance.

I didn’t like Dowds playing against us which is a compliment. Just need to wait and see how he gets on, confidence and how players fit into teams changes so much between different clubs. We’ve signed ‘goal scorers’ who couldn’t score to save themselves and we’ve signed guys who I’ve been unsure over who have been excellent for us.

Anton Dowds

Arbroath are delighted to announce the signing of 24-year-old striker Anton Dowds who joins the club on loan from Falkirk.

Anton hit the headlines whilst playing for the Heriot-Watt University side where he scored 50 goals in all competitions in the 2017-2018 season.

Anton was at Heriot-Watt for 4 years before East Fife offered Anton a contract after impressing during a pre-season trial.

In his first full season in senior football Anton scored 12 goals in 42 appearances for East Fife finishing as their top scorer including a goal against Arbroath in our League One winning season and was named SPFL League One Player of the Month for January.

Anton was rewarded with an improved contract by East Fife and scored 7 goals before the season was curtailed due to the pandemic.

There was a lot of interest in Anton after his performances for East Fife, and it was Falkirk who won his signature with the striker signing a full time contract with the club in 2020/2021 season.  

Anton played against Arbroath last season in the Scottish Cup at Gayfield but we look forward to seeing Anton in action for the Lichties and he will go straight into the squad for this weekend.

Many thanks to everyone at Falkirk including our former Manager, Paul Sheerin for making this loan possible.

Welcome to the club Anton!

C’mon the Lichties!

Anton Dowds.jpg

Anton Dowds
Arbroath are delighted to announce the signing of 24-year-old striker Anton Dowds who joins the club on loan from Falkirk.
Anton hit the headlines whilst playing for the Heriot-Watt University side where he scored 50 goals in all competitions in the 2017-2018 season.
Anton was at Heriot-Watt for 4 years before East Fife offered Anton a contract after impressing during a pre-season trial.
In his first full season in senior football Anton scored 12 goals in 42 appearances for East Fife finishing as their top scorer including a goal against Arbroath in our League One winning season and was named SPFL League One Player of the Month for January.
Anton was rewarded with an improved contract by East Fife and scored 7 goals before the season was curtailed due to the pandemic.
There was a lot of interest in Anton after his performances for East Fife, and it was Falkirk who won his signature with the striker signing a full time contract with the club in 2020/2021 season.  
Anton played against Arbroath last season in the Scottish Cup at Gayfield but we look forward to seeing Anton in action for the Lichties and he will go straight into the squad for this weekend.
Many thanks to everyone at Falkirk including our former Manager, Paul Sheerin for making this loan possible.
Welcome to the club Anton!
C’mon the Lichties!
677402896_AntonDowds.thumb.jpg.249b54b2757f40452b4cc85d75d12010.jpg

Time will tell, but I’m feeling pretty optimistic about this signing.

29 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

3 big loons up front all slightly different 

Think that’s us done now surely although Maybe wouldn’t mind another Linn/Patterson type 

Think a Linn/Patterson type, would have been a better option, struggle to see the point of the Dowds signing, tbh