The Arbroath Thread

6 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

In the space of about a week on here we went from the best part time back four, to now trying midfielders in defence and now our defenders in midfield.

You’re still gutted Scott Stewart is playing RB even though he’s been excellent 

Also again he’s played RB just as much as he’s played RM

1 hour ago, lichtiemike said:

He’s played RB 33 times in his career & played RM 75 times.

What’s the RWB included in from that? Anyway a seasons worth of games at RB. Hardly an out and out midfielder. It’s not like he’s out of position and is really good there. 

What’s the comment about playing midfielders in defence and defenders in midfield? That would only apply to Ricky Little? No way should he be centre mid. But ToB has played in there plenty too and DC has said Henderson can too. That’s not them being out of position. Same with Hamilton, centre half, right back, defensive mid. Gold too. 

Suppose my point is you keep on saying they are out of position when Stewart and Gold can play that position too, it’s not like sticking Clark for example RB. They 2 have played there hundreds of times between them. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Think ToB has to come straight back in, He is our captain and stand out player, Tough on Henderson but I think he would do a good job sitting in front of back 4 allowing Low to push on, Henderson is very comfortable on the ball and could get a goal or 2 from there too,
Or if that doesn't work put Henderson Left back and Hammy up front, his finishing is better than most of the strikers and we could get a few free Hammy fouls for penalty

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Think ToB has to come straight back in, He is our captain and stand out player, Tough on Henderson but I think he would do a good job sitting in front of back 4 allowing Low to push on, Henderson is very comfortable on the ball and could get a goal or 2 from there too,
Or if that doesn't work put Henderson Left back and Hammy up front, his finishing is better than most of the strikers and we could get a few free Hammy fouls for penalty

TOB, will come back in,  think Hendersons performances have been deserving of a starting berth

TOB, will come back in,  think Hendersons performances have been deserving of a starting berth

But so have Ricky’s and Hammy’s and Clark is coming on to a game. Good problems to have. Strong bench - apart from up front. Mind you, Hilson and Nouble coming off the bench doesn’t sound too bad.

Suppose my point is you keep on saying they are out of position when Stewart and Gold can play that position too, it’s not like sticking Clark for example RB. They 2 have played there hundreds of times between them. 

Gold has played a total of 28 games at RB in his career, so a total between them of 51 games, so not hundreds.

The 2 points I originally made were that Stewart is a better midfielder than he is defender, I stand by that, that also doesn’t mean he’s a poor defender.

Also I think Stewart, Gold & Craigen have all played a full back a few times filling in, and I think they’re talent would be better utilised in midfield by getting some RB cover in. Again, I stand by that.

For the second time it’s probably better to just agree to disagree, after all football is about opinions. I don’t feel there’s much for me to add, as this tedious discussion is probably boring the tits off everyone else.

For the avoidance of doubt, I was pleased Stewart played well at the weekend, he looks like he will have another month there at least, so I’d just like to highlight it’s pretty stupid to suggest myself or anyone else on here would want him to be shite just to save face.

13 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

But so have Ricky’s and Hammy’s and Clark is coming on to a game. Good problems to have. Strong bench - apart from up front. Mind you, Hilson and Nouble coming off the bench doesn’t sound too bad.

Henderson will replace Clark, he is a better, more accomplished, better defensively than Clark, let's Low do his thing

Are people really taking my suggestion of playing Little in midfield seriously? FFS it was a daft wee conversation about how to accommodate Little, ToB and Henderson in the same team, while also playing Hammy on the left and Stewart or JT at right back. We have at least 10 guys who can comfortably play in midfield so I and everyone else know it would never happen in a million years.

7 hours ago, lichtiemike said:

He’s played RB 33 times in his career & played RM 75 times.

Where have you got these stats from. Have you got how many games he and Gold have played CM?

It's all immaterial as DC seems to like to have a number of players in the squad that can play multiple positions. Whether it's right or wrong we'll have to put up with the decisions he makes.

2 hours ago, lichtiemike said:

Gold has played a total of 28 games at RB in his career, so a total between them of 51 games, so not hundreds.

The 2 points I originally made were that Stewart is a better midfielder than he is defender, I stand by that, that also doesn’t mean he’s a poor defender.

Also I think Stewart, Gold & Craigen have all played a full back a few times filling in, and I think they’re talent would be better utilised in midfield by getting some RB cover in. Again, I stand by that.

For the second time it’s probably better to just agree to disagree, after all football is about opinions. I don’t feel there’s much for me to add, as this tedious discussion is probably boring the tits off everyone else.

For the avoidance of doubt, I was pleased Stewart played well at the weekend, he looks like he will have another month there at least, so I’d just like to highlight it’s pretty stupid to suggest myself or anyone else on here would want him to be shite just to save face.

Don’t know where the stats are coming from but there’s no way Gold has only played 28 games at RB, not a chance. 

But yeah fair enough

2 hours ago, JoseMarooniho said:

‘Put up with’? Clumsy wording mate. DC decisions have giving us the most successful period in our entire history.

I wouldn't quite say clumsy but how the conversation is about playing midfielders in defence or out of position blah, blah, blah and the fact DC gets roasted about his substitutions on multiple occasions suggests to me that we will as fans, have to put up with it. Yes I agree with you that we are in a very successful period and I wouldn't change it for the world. It's only my observation and I'm not overly bothered if people agree or disagree with me. 

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

800 season tickets sold. Terrific effort 

That's is an excellent number.

Didn't realise Arbroath could pull those sort of numbers. Guess you will have 1000 plus in the home end when you add walk up fans when they are allowed back.

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

That's is an excellent number.

Didn't realise Arbroath could pull those sort of numbers. Guess you will have 1000 plus in the home end when you add walk up fans when they are allowed back.

Been like that in home end most games the last couple seasons in this league.  Even when we finished 9th in league 2 our average was around 750. Always been up there PT wise, only really Airdrie that come close. 

800 season tickets is great though and way that’s going it’s only going up. Arbroath tops everywhere nowadays especially with the younger crowd. I’m late 20s and was rare to see Arbroath tops at football or out and about when I was going through school. Club done loads through social media and now the community trust too to grow this last 5/6 year. Everything great on and off park just now.

Premier Cup group stage over. Imagine most clubs now know who they’re wanting to get loaned out. Maybe see a couple more in soonish. Want to have every opportunity to take as much points as we can and every league game is going to be important. Looks like it’s going to be the first time we’ve played 36 games in this league. 

Last Saturday showed that when LD and Linn went off, Hilson already off park (even though he’s not been in great form) that we really struggled going forward with a half fit Nouble upfront and Gold and Low on the wings. Again it’s kind of why I’m surprised we went and got Hamilton. 

While I’m here though I’d like to see DC just leave Bobby on the park, I think he’s fully capable of playing 90 every week and he gets taken off purely because of his age.