The Arbroath Thread

Had hoped for one of the big 6 clubs, but we are playing the cup holders at home and if we have a fully fit squad we can give them a game.

We desperately need a goal scorer - the squad is looking great, just need a finisher ( and I am hopeful one will arrive on loan in the coming weeks).

Arbroath for the cup.

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Meh. St Johnstone are just boring for me.  Played them the other night too. Would’ve liked one of the big boys. Was a half chance of Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers or Hibs. 

Ach, it’s ok we’ll get one of those in the next round.

9 hours ago, Hammerafc said:
11 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Kelty captain Toser was booked for sarcastically applauding the ref for awarding the penalty. Can't help thinking there was another "S" missing from the name on his shirt. 

This might have made sense if his name wasn't Tidser rather than Toser.

My mistake, misread his name from the back of his shirt, should've cleaned my specs. Still a tosser though for his stupid reaction to the ref awarding what was an obvious penalty.

After watching highlights back I really like Clark. Celebrating like a fan at the penalty award etc. Fully committed player, just taking his time to settle in just a young lad. I would like to see how Hamilton does in there too though. 

Also ToB can’t be far away from coming back, JT too.... what happens then what’s everyone thinking? I’d be tempted to just leave Henderson and Stewart where they are. They were excellent again yesterday same as they were at Tannadice. Hard one

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Meh. St Johnstone are just boring for me.  Played them the other night too. Would’ve liked one of the big boys. Was a half chance of Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers or Hibs. 

Worth mentioning you'll be lining up against a defence who faced Falcao just 3 days earlier. If (massive fucking if) we manage to do something against Galatasaray on the Thursday, then this will have a huge Saints support too.

Worth mentioning if it's not been already that our match will be on the Sunday.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning you'll be lining up against a defence who faced Falcao just 3 days earlier. If (massive fucking if) we manage to do something against Galatasaray on the Thursday, then this will have a huge Saints support too.

With it being a Sunday I wonder if that gives it a better chance of being on the telly ?

Just now, lichtie23 said:

With it being a Sunday I wonder if that gives it a better chance of being on the telly ?

Can't see it? Would imagine all 5 Scottish teams in Europe will be on the Sunday, so their picks are obvious.

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Also ToB can’t be far away from coming back, JT too.... what happens then what’s everyone thinking? I’d be tempted to just leave Henderson and Stewart where they are. They were excellent again yesterday same as they were at Tannadice. Hard one

Agree re Stewart, JT might find it hard getting back in as no1 in that position. ToB has to come back in though. Would like to see Henderson in midfield or LB.

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Agree re Stewart, JT might find it hard getting back in as no1 in that position. ToB has to come back in though. Would like to see Henderson in midfield or LB.

Fair. But Hammy is a great left back, Henderson centre mid would be interesting but right now I’d just be tempted to leave it until a space opens up through suspension or injury or bad form. Henderson has been absolutely superb so far I’m so surprised with how well he’s done. Stewart has been brilliant too and the more he plays there the better he will get, so much potential if he kept getting a run of games. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wasn’t meant as a criticism of St Johnstone just that getting one of the big 4 would’ve been magic. Wee Barkas getting a slagging would’ve been hilarious. Pretty sure he’d have made a mess of something too. Or Rangers just for getting Gerrard to Gayf. Been a while since we played Aberdeen competitively. Suppose on reflection Hibs would’ve been quite boring too we’ve played them loads recently. 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Fair. But Hammy is a great left back, Henderson centre mid would be interesting but right now I’d just be tempted to leave it until a space opens up through suspension or injury or bad form. Henderson has been absolutely superb so far I’m so surprised with how well he’s done. Stewart has been brilliant too and the more he plays there the better he will get, so much potential if he kept getting a run of games. 

I should have qualified my comment re ToB, he has to come back in - only when fully fit.

McKenna, Low, Henderson and Linn is a midfield I would like to see, a good mixture of creativity, energy and physicality.

I particularly like Stewart’s dynamism and energy, will need to see how he gets on defensively under pressure in the league but I like what I’ve seen so far. I’ve always been a fan of Hamilton but I don’t think he’s ever really been sufficiently challenged in that position and, if I had a gun put to my head, I would say he is our very slight week link in defence. 

6 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I should have qualified my comment re ToB, he has to come back in - only when fully fit.

McKenna, Low, Henderson and Linn is a midfield I would like to see, a good mixture of creativity, energy and physicality.

I particularly like Stewart’s dynamism and energy, will need to see how he gets on defensively under pressure in the league but I like what I’ve seen so far. I’ve always been a fan of Hamilton but I don’t think he’s ever really been sufficiently challenged in that position and, if I had a gun put to my head, I would say he is our very slight week link in defence. 

Yeah looks good that. Even Gold or Hilson in there too as the 5th player. 

What about trying ToB centre mid? Used to boss it there for Cowden and get himself a few goals too I’m sure. He’s got everything, only thing would maybe be getting about the park he’s always dead casual at centre half, sure he has that in him you just never see it cause the cigars out.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah looks good that. Even Gold or Hilson in there too as the 5th player. 

What about trying ToB centre mid? Used to boss it there for Cowden and get himself a few goals too I’m sure. He’s got everything, only thing would maybe be getting about the park he’s always dead casual at centre half, sure he has that in him you just never see it cause the cigars out.

Yeah, we have a lot of good options to bring on in midfield. Gold was brilliant on Saturday when he came on, clark also very good and Paterson to come in too.

If we were to play all three then how about Ricky Little in the centre of midfield and ToB and Henderson at the back. Ricky is obviously brilliant but lacks the physical presence against big centre forwards.

1 minute ago, afc_36_0 said:

This has to be one of the most ludicrous things I’ve read on p&b

Hey, we’re only bullshitting about how to fit the three in the same team. I’m not actually being serious, especially as we have so many good options in midfield.

Good that away fans are allowed this weekend.

I know Inverness won’t bring bus loads down and no need for segregation but going forward I hope the club still has in mind alternate segregation plans for the season. I remember there was meant to fence put up at the pleasuresland seaside corner for the Inverness game that got postponed the week covid kicked off.