The Arbroath Thread

4 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

I’ve never heard of a 28 year old having huge potential before. Hilson is handy and a hard worker, there’s definitely something about donnelly and hopefully he can add a bit of hard work and physicality to his game.

Potential - "having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future" - this sums up Donnelly despite his age, in all seriousness i had no idea he was 28, i actually thought he was about 24.  I have always liked him and it seems the manager does aswel but would like more consistency and certainly more goals, Also worth pointing out his lack of goals cannot all be blamed on him with the way we play at times.

Dont think we will see another striker in now, think we will go with Donnelly, Hilson and Nouble. 

Potential - "having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future" - this sums up Donnelly despite his age, in all seriousness i had no idea he was 28, i actually thought he was about 24.  I have always liked him and it seems the manager does aswel but would like more consistency and certainly more goals, Also worth pointing out his lack of goals cannot all be blamed on him with the way we play at times.
Dont think we will see another striker in now, think we will go with Donnelly, Hilson and Nouble. 

Luke is 25. Still, the chances of his developing into a much more effective player at this stage are slim. I like his ball skills and his vision. But he is what he’s going to be.

On 21/07/2021 at 22:38, Biglichtie74 said:

That boy left wing tonight was not good 36-0

Did ok for me,nice diagonal run into  the St Js box beating a couple of players in the first half.Apart from that didnt do much wrong either.These games are not competition..just a run oot. I wouldnt like to decide whos worthy of signing on that 90 minutes.

10 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Going by the highlights Gaston doesn’t have much to worry about in the competition to be first choice keeper 

Was it Antell in goals? If so, he’s an absolute nightmare. 

Edited by ALOREBURNE

Going by the logic on here anyway, signing Antell was a waste of time given we have Gold that can play in there if need be.

Not this again [emoji23] I don’t recall Gold playing in goals for the duration of a title winning campaign?

2 hours ago, lichtiemike said:

Going by the logic on here anyway, signing Antell was a waste of time given we have Gold that can play in there if need be.

You’re absolutely not getting it or the point that was being made and still going on about this. Also Hamilton is a centre half that they plan on turning into a defensive midfielder so is that not just exactly the same as what we had before? Just another guy like that 😂

Also we were very good against St Johnstone. The goals we lost were terrible, especially the 1st and 4th. The second can happen and the 3rd was a good finish although keeper questionable. 

Hilson was excellent but once again he gets a great chance and everyone knows he’s not going to take it. Again now we have signed Hamilton that’s another place less available for a guy that can help put the ball in the net which is incredibly frustrating (that’s the point being made here LichtieMike) this is our real problem. 

Understandable all the points being made about signing another midfielder/defender but since good goalscoring strikers are as rare as rocking horse dung it's looking like we will have to go into another season without one. Maybe Nouble playing off McKeena or Hilson will be turn out to be the answer.

As it is if we are not going to score lots of goals we will have to rely on conceding as few goals as possible to stay in the Championship. We already have an injury to O'Brien and the season proper only starts next week against ICT. So the thinking might be to have enough back up midfielders and defenders who can slot into the team, knowing how we play, to have ample cover should we have multiple injuries or suspensions over the season, and rely on the forwards we have to grab goals.

I'm sure the management are looking to bring in a striker but there are no guarantees, we were lucky with Jack Hamilton.

Just now, SotesBornalichtie said:

Understandable all the points being made about signing another midfielder/defender but since good goalscoring strikers are as rare as rocking horse dung it's looking like we will have to go into another season without one. Maybe Nouble playing off McKeena or Hilson will be turn out to be the answer.

As it is if we are not going to score lots of goals we will have to rely on conceding as few goals as possible to stay in the Championship. We already have an injury to O'Brien and the season proper only starts next week against ICT. So the thinking might be to have enough back up midfielders and defenders who can slot into the team, knowing how we play, to have ample cover should we have multiple injuries or suspensions over the season, and rely on the forwards we have to grab goals.

I'm sure the management are looking to bring in a striker but there are no guarantees, we were lucky with Jack Hamilton.

Well we have got two punts now. I’d have liked to seen an attacking midfielder, a winger and a striker as the last 3 positions to be filled. 

But now we have RB cover who is less of a right back than Gold or Stewart and who when JT comes back will be competing for a place in holding midfield with Swankie, Clark and Henderson (ToB and Little will be centre half when fit) and another midfield player who is not going to get us any goals.

I’m sure Hamilton will be good too he’s got a solid record with getting a game for Hearts so young and a few games for the Under 21s, it looks like the thing that’s holding him back is his height for the positions he plays.

But DC knows what he’s doing at the end of the day and just got to trust him to pull something out the bag. To me though an average Joe I’m increasingly worried about our lack of options and goals going forward. We really only have Hilson, LD, Nouble and Linn as out and out attacking players and I only really fancy Linn to put the ball in the net from they 4. Not a criticism of the other 3 I’m a big fan of LD and Hilson they both have their strengths, not seen much of Nouble but he looks promising too.

I think its just frustrating because we have a great team but putting the ball the back of the net has been an issue since promotion to the championship, if we had a 10-15 goal a season striker we’d probably have been pushing for a promotion playoff.
The longer it goes on the more likely we will need to rely on another good loan striker or just hope the whole team can contribute enough during the season whilst having another strong season defensively

Did ok for me,nice diagonal run into  the St Js box beating a couple of players in the first half.Apart from that didnt do much wrong either.These games are not competition..just a run oot. I wouldnt like to decide whos worthy of signing on that 90 minutes.

Was horse shit

This is the first season in a while where its genuinely harder to guess what starting 11 we go with, For the 2nd half of last season the back 4 and midfield 2 picked itself,
This season Thompson, Hammy and one of the midfield positions is up for grabs, Both Chris Hamilton and Henderson give us options all across the back 4 and one of them could join Low in midfield,
Gaston is guaranteed to start, in goals, Linn Hilson, Nouble, are likely starter's with Mckenna pushing for a start after showing up well in friendlies,

2 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

This is the first season in a while where its genuinely harder to guess what starting 11 we go with, For the 2nd half of last season the back 4 and midfield 2 picked itself,
This season Thompson, Hammy and one of the midfield positions is up for grabs, Both Chris Hamilton and Henderson give us options all across the back 4 and one of them could join Low in midfield,
Gaston is guaranteed to start, in goals, Linn Hilson, Nouble, are likely starter's with Mckenna pushing for a start after showing up well in friendlies,

Yeah I know what you mean. I even think Henderson has made a claim which I never thought I would say but got to stick with Little and ToB. Little was our best player last year and a club legend. ToB is just ToB. Even though I think ToB right side and Henderson left side would give us a massive physical back 4 Little keeps his place for me. 

Gaston, the usual back 4 when all fit and Low/Linn the only guaranteed starters for me.

Saturday though injuries taken into account and Craigen unavailable I think just now it is

Gaston

Stewart

Little

Henderson

Hamilton

Hilson

Mckenna

Low

Gold

Linn

LD

That is our strongest side. Obviously RB and centre mid will be debatable for some 

Yeah I know what you mean. I even think Henderson has made a claim which I never thought I would say but got to stick with Little and ToB. Little was our best player last year and a club legend. ToB is just ToB. Even though I think ToB right side and Henderson left side would give us a massive physical back 4 Little keeps his place for me. 

Gaston, the usual back 4 when all fit and Low/Linn the only guaranteed starters for me.

Saturday though injuries taken into account and Craigen unavailable I think just now it is

Gaston

Stewart
Little
Henderson
Hamilton

Hilson
Mckenna
Low
Gold
Linn

LD

That is our strongest side. Obviously RB and centre mid will be debatable for some 

Craigen unavailable? That’s a shame. He’d be in for me? Also I’d start Nouble before LD but is he out too?

7 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Craigen unavailable? That’s a shame. He’d be in for me? Also I’d start Nouble before LD but is he out too?

D.C. said Craigen had a wedding or something 

And if Nouble is fit be happy to see him get a chance but not sure he was supposed to play last night according to D.C. after his interview at Tannadice