The Arbroath Thread

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Understand that but, as it's obviously the very big "elephant in the room", what harm would there be in at least trialing someone - there must be lower league/non league strikers out there that would be worth giving a trial to. We've found some gems from non-league in the past - Linn, Low, Murray.

I get that but scoring barrel loads of goals in juniors will be easy, championships totally different level. as DC also says he wont look at players he thinks aren't as good as what he's already got. group games finish on Saturday so the SPL clubs will know who they will want in the squads for the upcoming season and more options will become available  

1 minute ago, SmokeyJoe said:

I get that but scoring barrel loads of goals in juniors will be easy, championships totally different level. as DC also says he wont look at players he thinks aren't as good as what he's already got. group games finish on Saturday so the SPL clubs will know who they will want in the squads for the upcoming season and more options will become available  

It's just frustration, I totally get all the sensible points made re strikers. Just seems like it's been the same since we got promotion, just can't seem to get anyone signed who can score fucking goals. I know it's the way of the modern game but I would much rather have proper signings than loans .... or ideally, a combination of both.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

It's just frustration, I totally get all the sensible points made re strikers. Just seems like it's been the same since we got promotion, just can't seem to get anyone signed who can score fucking goals. I know it's the way of the modern game but I would much rather have proper signings than loans .... or ideally, a combination of both.

very annoying but waiting game is required. being part time in a full time league not easy just going out and signing boys especially when there is clubs below us full time and offering way more £££. DC pretty picky when it comes to signings so hopefully its all worth the wait and is in sooner rather than later as season opener coming soon.

Until people start reeling me off the list of names of strikers based in Scotland who are up to the standard we need, available, would come to us etc. etc. then I'm of the opinion that we currently have the best available to us at the moment, that we know of. We need to also remember that just because we're in the Championship doesn't mean players are going to be happy to add an extra 100+ miles on their round trip to training/ games, and take up a club which doesn't fit around their work/ family life balance. One of the huge, unchangable differences between teams like Alloa and Dumbarton who have stayed at this level and ourselves is geography. They have the majority of the central belt they can pick up players from and give them fairly short trips for training/ games as well as potentially having a bigger area to get them into a job off the pitch in. Outside of Ricky Little, who lets face it is an absolute fucking lunatic for doing all the travelling he does, we attract the majority of our squad from Edinburgh upwards, east coast, and have done for years. Geographically, teams more central/ west have realistically double the catchment areas for players. At the lower level, that cancels out with more teams fighting for players etc. but now we're at the top end of part time level, the amount of quality players who can play at this level across Scotland is slim, let alone in our catchment area.

I think it's of great credit to DC + management that we've accepted/ acknowledged there seems to be a big shortfall in strikers at our level in Scotland currently, and has been over the past few years. We're not the only club in this position, most other bottom half Champ and top end L1 clubs are struggling to get decent strikers in as well. I think it's a really positive move to try and get out there and expand the geographical pool we're looking at and think outside the usual box. We're far more likely to be able to find someone outwith who can do a job as things stand, and we're also more likely to be able to convince someone of the move/ they're are a lot more players looking to get a move up to Scotland and potentially develop their career than scottish players based on the west coast who are up to what we need, available etc.

a maximum of 5 players on loan at any one time plus any approved emergency goalkeeper;

a maximum of 1 player on loan at any one time from another Club in the same SPFL Division; 

a maximum of 3 players on loan at any one time from another Club in a different SPFL Division.

2 hours ago, Hayshead2 said:

What are the rules regarding loan signings?

How many are you allowed at a time?

How many are you allowed over a season?

🇱🇻

Really interested to see who we go with on Saturday, Will be a tought game no doubt, We looked pretty good at times last night, obviously just let down in he last quarter of the game and the missed chances,
Campbell clearly knows our issues and is trying to sort it, he will have something lined up I'm sure,
Also on commentary last night I though Jason Thompson was very good, however I'm pretty sure I heard him say at one point ToB was at hospital after his injury the other week with a suspected broken bone, Has there been any update on him

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Really interested to see who we go with on Saturday, Will be a tought game no doubt, We looked pretty good at times last night, obviously just let down in he last quarter of the game and the missed chances,
Campbell clearly knows our issues and is trying to sort it, he will have something lined up I'm sure,
Also on commentary last night I though Jason Thompson was very good, however I'm pretty sure I heard him say at one point ToB was at hospital after his injury the other week with a suspected broken bone, Has there been any update on him

from what I believe there was no break. hopefully wrapped in cotton wool for league opener

I will say it again we should have pushed the boat out to sign Nathan Austin.

He has scored goals for fun in all leagues outwith the SPL and has also played there with ICT who wanted to keep him but i believe he wanted back to the Fife area as his wife and kids were staying there hence he signed for Kelty Hearts and obviously is on a good deal there, his goal-scoring record for them is unbelievable and when he went on loan to East Fife he was banging in goals for them in the 1st Division.

He is still a good age, fast and knows where the goals are, not sure if he maybe has an attitude problem as i am amazed DC has never tried to sign him, in fact this was what i was going to ask DC at the recent AGM but because of the circumstances and it was done pretty quick i forgot to ask the question.

"Natural" strikers like Colin "Dibble" McGlashan and Paul "Shagger" McManus are like hens-teeth and you will probably have to pay big ££££ for them but look at the money we paid for Craig Wighton and that was a mater-stroke by the Gaffer and the AFC Board as his goals at the time probably cemented us staying in the Championship which in turn brought in more money to the club so it is a bit of a "win-win" situation by paying money to get a quality striker in to score the goals to keep you up.

In DC we trust 36-0. 

From what I’ve heard, not only did Kelty come up with big bucks for Austin, they also sorted employment. The whole package is likely to be way more than we could justify. I’m not sure that Dick believes he’s that great, anyway. The answer to our striker issue is sure to be a loan player. Let’s just hope we get another as good as Hamilton.

1 hour ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I will say it again we should have pushed the boat out to sign Nathan Austin.

He has scored goals for fun in all leagues outwith the SPL and has also played there with ICT who wanted to keep him but i believe he wanted back to the Fife area as his wife and kids were staying there hence he signed for Kelty Hearts and obviously is on a good deal there, his goal-scoring record for them is unbelievable and when he went on loan to East Fife he was banging in goals for them in the 1st Division.

He is still a good age, fast and knows where the goals are, not sure if he maybe has an attitude problem as i am amazed DC has never tried to sign him, in fact this was what i was going to ask DC at the recent AGM but because of the circumstances and it was done pretty quick i forgot to ask the question.

"Natural" strikers like Colin "Dibble" McGlashan and Paul "Shagger" McManus are like hens-teeth and you will probably have to pay big ££££ for them but look at the money we paid for Craig Wighton and that was a mater-stroke by the Gaffer and the AFC Board as his goals at the time probably cemented us staying in the Championship which in turn brought in more money to the club so it is a bit of a "win-win" situation by paying money to get a quality striker in to score the goals to keep you up.

In DC we trust 36-0. 

Would imagine he will be on a long term contract and getting paid very well at Kelty so that's just not going to happen.

Simon makes a few good points about the strikers, in recent years we have had some some limited success from the likes of Doris and Wallace and some big disappointments in spence and prunty, Doolan was a bit hot and cold also. The ones who have done well have been Wighton and Hamilton so understandably Dick is looking to go down this route again with big Nouble.  Also agree that its good we're getting guys in on trial and having a look and thinking out the box a bit, hope that strategy pays off and we can unearth a diamond from somewhere.

There is huge potential in Donnelly and Hilson (who i think most part time teams would have) , problem is I don't think any of them will hit double figures, lets hope one of them deliver this season and big Nouble is a hit, and bobby/craigen/mckenna keep chipping in with goals.

Perhaps see Henderson sitting in midfield, was in not mentioned he can play holding midfielder too?? Would give good protection and let Low push on a bit,
Certainly good to have options,

If all fails could try him up front as I think we need a striker

Henderson has been very impressive as TOB’s replacement so what happens when the captain returns? Would be harsh to drop him. Do we slide him to LB and drop Hammy? Do we go 5 across the back? 

There is huge potential in Donnelly and Hilson (who i think most part time teams would have) , problem is I don't think any of them will hit double figures, lets hope one of them deliver this season and big Nouble is a hit, and bobby/craigen/mckenna keep chipping in with goals.

I’ve never heard of a 28 year old having huge potential before. Hilson is handy and a hard worker, there’s definitely something about donnelly and hopefully he can add a bit of hard work and physicality to his game.

I would think the likelihood is DC will be looking to bring a striker in on loan - but it's awaiting game at the moment.

We have an outstanding squad of players and DC will know more than anyone that a striker is required to convert all these chances we create during games.

Getting the right fit for the squad might take a little time - but I am sure a striker will be added to the squad in the coming weeks.

I’m maybe just chuffed to bits to get back to Gayfield after so long but I thought we played some good stuff at times last night and did pretty well for the most part, then that collapse. I think the squad looks in good shape and I certainly can’t complain at getting some RB cover in. I’d imagine/hope that we get a striker in later in the window once bigger clubs sort their loans out.

Another lovely evening at Gayfield, isn't this the best way to watch game? Enjoying being back at on the terraces in shirt sleeves instead of winter woolies, warm sun instead of freezing rain, maybe, maybe in the future but probably not.

Shouldn't read too much into the result, as the manager said the game was more about giving the players a run out to help fitness levels. We did play some good football in parts throughout the game and 4-1 isn't a true reflection of how we played against the double cup holders and top six Premiership side.

Thought Chris Hamilton had a good game and no surprise that the manager signed him up on loan for the season. Dylan Patterson didn't show up well in the first half but was much better in the second, as was Glen Gabriel. Maybe someone had a word with Glen at half time to let him know that you are allowed to pass the ball in Scottish football.

Liam Henderson had another good game and overall the defence looked pretty good even though we lost 4 goals. Dale Hilson put in a power of work, he's much improved since he first arrived at Gayfield.

Looking forward to Saturday to see what line up the manager starts with against Kelty who will be out to prove that they deserve their step up from the juniors.