The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Dick post match - 'apparently we had 74% of the possession'

BBC stats:

image.png.be5195b8cdf3c60fb92cb9adbb43d401.png

:D :D:D

You will have been listening closer than I was, but did he not say during the second half?

25 minutes ago, David W said:

You will have been listening closer than I was, but did he not say during the second half?

He did indeed say during 2nd half and that would be about right tbf we controlled the 2nd half he also said the goal we lost was amateurish while giving Mulgrew credit for it which is also about right. All in all a good performance especially 2nd half apart from the obvious which i'm sure DC will sort out

as much as miko was brilliant for us, I don't really see us needing another central midfielder unless one goes out, we really need to get in a right back (so we can play our midfielders where they are best), a winger and striker. id expect us to get some of these once the group games are completed. 

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

100% would take him back if he become available, Would add Ruth to that too, both more that capable of Improving our squad

Ruth would add nothing to the squad, not better than we have, want quality not quantity

2 hours ago, lichtiemike said:

We would be mad to turn him down on that basis, he was class the season before, he’s young and has the quality that could help us out.

Didn't add anything to the squad last season, not for me, but we will probably sign him and he will be superb

as much as miko was brilliant for us, I don't really see us needing another central midfielder unless one goes out, we really need to get in a right back (so we can play our midfielders where they are best), a winger and striker. id expect us to get some of these once the group games are completed. 

JT should be back before the end of August IIRC, Gold/Stewart can fill in for the time being.

JT should be back before the end of August IIRC, Gold/Stewart can fill in for the time being.

Signing a RB would be better than putting quality midfielders in that position, that’s assuming JT comes back, gets fit and plays well for the remainder of the season, I’m not sure how anyone could confidently say that after the last season.

Signing a RB would be better than putting quality midfielders in that position, that’s assuming JT comes back, gets fit and plays well for the remainder of the season, I’m not sure how anyone could confidently say that after the last season.

Can say I recall JT letting us down last season…

Fair enough, I’m happy for Gold to fill in for now but agree re JT’s reliability. Been fantastic for us so you don’t want to write him off, but he’s not getting any younger and does seem to regularly pick up niggles.

RB is too easy and too many players who can play well there while JT is out. I actually think it might be Stewart’s best position... He does well building up a steam from deeper I think. Reliable defensively too and a big strong quick player. Could maybe work on his delivery though 

Another attacking midfielder and a striker should definitely be the priority for me

15 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Fair enough, I’m happy for Gold to fill in for now but agree re JT’s reliability. Been fantastic for us so you don’t want to write him off, but he’s not getting any younger and does seem to regularly pick up niggles.

Aye he was magic last season. Like always. Hammy got some criticism too and I don’t get it. Wouldn’t have any other part time players over them.

Ruth was played out of position and never got a decent chance so he probably wouldn't want to come back anyway,
But he is still young and had the attributes to be a good player at this level

Didn't add anything to the squad last season, not for me, but we will probably sign him and he will be superb

There’s definitely scope to get a Henderson type player into the squad who is right sided, purely so we can keep talented midfielders in midfield, instead of filling in at full back for 4 to 6 weeks at a time.

This is of course an ideal world scenario and Dick hasn’t really ever done this in his time with us, so wouldn’t expect it to change now.

Ruth was played out of position and never got a decent chance so he probably wouldn't want to come back anyway,
But he is still young and had the attributes to be a good player at this level

Generous on Ruth IMO. Dick tried him through the middle then moved him wide when he didn’t quite cut it. Showed lots of promise but never enough to displace any of our established players the way both Williamson and Hamilton subsequently did. I really can’t see him back at Gayfield.

Generous on Ruth IMO. Dick tried him through the middle then moved him wide when he didn’t quite cut it. Showed lots of promise but never enough to displace any of our established players the way both Williamson and Hamilton subsequently did. I really can’t see him back at Gayfield.

I’d be surprised if Ruth made an impact anytime soon at our level, then again I thought the same about Logan Chalmers, I didn’t see a player there.

Falkirk are getting 400 tickets for their cup game down at Ayr this weekend, so looks like we’ll be able to go down to Somerset in a few weeks. One of the best awaydays in the country, should be nice weather and we have a decent recent record down there. Things looking up!