The Arbroath Thread

32 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

A couple of mistakes to start but then settled well. Looks like a strong lad who likes a tackle. Full of energy. He may well be an asset.

Good to hear, Martindale has stated he wants to bring in more players of that age group to build for the future.

10 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

You do. But I see what you mean.

I know I do don’t I? Trying so hard to be positive about the coming season but still waiting for something to spark the season in to life. Pre season was dreadful and today was hardly inspiring.

We have to face facts. It's going to be a ridiculously tough season again and if we are able to maintain championship status then it will be a hell of an achievement. With grit and determination, mixed with the odd bit of quality, there's no reason why staying up can't be achieved.

Just the lesser spotted goalscorer hasn't been seen floating around Gayfield as yet, but I'm sure Dick and his merry men are searching hard for this elusive creature. Came up trumps back end of last season.

Keep the faith!! 🙃

Ultimately, the reality is that it's the second week of June, and by the end of August we'll have a minimum of 3 further players added to the squad, in the positions we need.

By all means, we could go out and sign a couple of players now, but can any of us suggest even one name we could realistically sign upfront, who is currently available? Despite the fact I know, like the rest of us, we need a striker, I can't name one. It'd be a bit of a brass neck of me to moan about us not signing someone who literally doesn't exist, would it not?

I'd be very surprised if we add any further signings to our squad outside of loans - as the frees currently available to us are of lesser quality than the loans we will be able to get further down the line. I'd much prefer we got the right players in in August than the wrong players in early July.

Ultimately, the reality is that it's the second week of June, and by the end of August we'll have a minimum of 3 further players added to the squad, in the positions we need.

July, but I know what you mean. We’re covered in goal, and as long as Jason comes back soon we’re covered in defence. A winger and two strikers please.

As it stands we are going to be heavily reliant on Bobby Linn again going forward.... urgently need some attacking players in. I thought the guy Clark, although he only played 20 minutes, looked more out of place than any signing I can ever remember. Positioning, where he was offering for and trying to take the ball and the few times he touched it nearly lead to a goal for them and completely messed up a counter attack. Young lad and maybe nerves but I thought that looked quite worrying personally and no sure why were going for an untried player in there with zero experience of being at a FT professional club. Hopefully proved wrong. 

Need JT and ToB back urgently too Elgin created a scary amount of chances today. 

I thought the guy Clark, although he only played 20 minutes, looked more out of place than any signing I can ever remember. Positioning, where he was offering for and trying to take the ball and the few times he touched it nearly lead to a goal for them and completely messed up a counter attack. Young lad and maybe nerves but I thought that looked quite worrying personally and no sure why were going for an untried player in there with zero experience of being at a FT professional club.

I put it down to never having trained with the team and a few nerves. I thought he looked promising after the first 10 minutes. Livi and the gaffer must see something in him. We’ll see.

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

As it stands we are going to be heavily reliant on Bobby Linn again going forward.... urgently need some attacking players in. I thought the guy Clark, although he only played 20 minutes, looked more out of place than any signing I can ever remember. Positioning, where he was offering for and trying to take the ball and the few times he touched it nearly lead to a goal for them and completely messed up a counter attack. Young lad and maybe nerves but I thought that looked quite worrying personally and no sure why were going for an untried player in there with zero experience of being at a FT professional club. Hopefully proved wrong. 

Need JT and ToB back urgently too Elgin created a scary amount of chances today. 

Even for you, this is harsh, to condemn him on 20 minutes is grim stuff

We've probably signed him, like signing Gav till January, well aware that we need bodies to play games of football over the next few months until we have our full squad together for end of August.

At this stage, and for the past month, we've had two options. Sign players who probably aren't good enough/ who we don't believe are going to improve us, or wait it out and line up players for further down the line who will improve us. Pretty much all of the quality loans this season going out will happen in late July/ August, as is always the case, after the player is given the full pre season with their full time club and some game time etc. to assess where they're at. We'll have loans lined up, I'm very confident of that, and I'd much rather we waited 2-6 weeks to get the players we want than sign guys now for these vitally important League Cup group stages ;) 

It's also verging on impossible to pick up players in July who are out of favour/ not getting game time at their clubs, that obviously doesn't won't happen until we're well into August and players/ managers know where they stand/ what their plans are having evaluated over pre season.

I know it's frustrating, and I know we're 3/4 players short at the moment. However, the most important thing is so do the management team. If they didn't/ thought everything was okay, I'd be extremely worried. If we're in this position/ a similiar position in a months time, then it's probably time to start worrying a wee bit. As it is, the transfer window closes at the end of August and if the same as previous years the loan window is open until the end of September. Much better to have that extra budget/ space in squad to sign a quality player available then than sign bang average squad filler now.

Compare the squad we have right now to the squad we had on the 11th of July 2020. It's basically the same, but with the Nicky Low upgrade on Mark Whatley... We're in a better position now than at this point last year..... :)

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Even for you, this is harsh, to condemn him on 20 minutes is grim stuff

Just going off what I’ve saw. Said hopefully get proved wrong, but just never seen somebody look so out of place on a football park for a long time. Absolutely clueless yesterday. 

If Hester's finishing had been better we might well have been looking at a defeat yesterday.

Very early days, we have a really good squad - but really hoping we can bring in two strikers, but I appreciate lots of work will be going on behind the scenes and this will take time to source the right players.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Bobby Linn on winning the first TASC Social Media Man of the Match of the new season for his performance in Lichties 1-0 win over Elgin City in the highlands yesterday. It was a great start to the season not only for the team but for the experienced winger. Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

A8F36FA2-0411-49FA-A008-F83448590DCA.jpeg