The Arbroath Thread

Liam Henderson is a tremendous player and deserves his big move. Really good on the ball, a decent athlete and a ridiculous goal threat. Don’t know much about your squad but I wonder if he’ll end up playing left back initially and if that goes well moving inside one. For what it’s worth he’s a better CB than LB

25 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Liam Henderson is a tremendous player and deserves his big move. Really good on the ball, a decent athlete and a ridiculous goal threat. Don’t know much about your squad but I wonder if he’ll end up playing left back initially and if that goes well moving inside one. For what it’s worth he’s a better CB than LB

I would say there’s close to zero chance that he’ll be in the first team initially. And literally zero chance he’ll be CB as we have one of the best CB pairings in the championship in Little and O’Brien, in fact we have one of the best entire defences in the championship. I would imagine that he’s been brought in as cover at CB and particularly for Hamilton at LB as we don’t really have a quality backup in that position.

sounds like a good, young player though so Campbell possibly looking at the future.

Edited by Tattie36

Seems highly rated anyway, Big step up but Hammy, Little and ToB all have played at that level and have managed the step up,
Won't start I'd imagine but good to have cover and competition for places Instead of using midfielders as cover,
Happy with the 2 signings so far,

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Seems highly rated anyway, Big step up but Hammy, Little and ToB all have played at that level and have managed the step up,
Won't start I'd imagine but good to have cover and competition for places Instead of using midfielders as cover,
Happy with the 2 signings so far,

These signings appear to be, more than decent pieces of business

I dont think henderson has been brought in as a back up defender, at times hamilton was a weak link last season & henderson will surely be giving him good competition at the very least as well as providing a bit more cover at the back with both players able to play cb or lb.

On reflection I may have been unfair saying Henderson has only been brought in as cover. Even though he has been, mostly, very good for us (and, of course, won the league at Starks Park), I do think Hamilton is our slightly weak link in the back 4. I think he’s guilty at times of backing off too much and allowing the opposition winger to drive into the box or to get an easy cross in, also his positional sense as mentioned above. A young, hungry player competing for his position can only be a good thing.

54 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

There’s a gap that develops between Hamilton and Tob that some teams exploit pretty obviously at times, Hamilton in the main has been excellent for us but better teams leave him looking exactly what he is, a CB playing LB.

Hamilton has always been a left back minus when he played with Little for a couple of seasons? 

A solid reliable good left back too 

I think we've been quite fortunate in the past couple of years that we haven't had a massive amount of injuries or suspensions to the back 4. That may only last a certain amount of time. Adding Henderson gives that bit more cover (which most have asked for) and as mentioned, a bit of competition for Hammy as LB has been his own berth. 

Need to find that elusive striker. 🔍

4 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I think we've been quite fortunate in the past couple of years that we haven't had a massive amount of injuries or suspensions to the back 4. That may only last a certain amount of time. Adding Henderson gives that bit more cover (which most have asked for) and as mentioned, a bit of competition for Hammy as LB has been his own berth. 

Need to find that elusive striker. 🔍

Last year first time it actually seemed to happen. ToB suspended, JT out, Hammy out a bit. Had Gold, Stewart, Whatley, Pigniatello, Craigen come back in and play left back / right back last year, think that’s played a part

We are lucky (or clever) to have 4 defenders who can all play centre back and loads of cover at right back, but we always struggled with a replacement left back. Also I agree that if there is a weak link defensively it has been Hammy and he hasn’t done much in attack. So a good signing.

Don't make many comments on Pie, but glad to see others feel like me about Hammy. Tends to leave wingers too much room, keeps backing off expecting someone else to do the tackling. And prone to the odd push in the back, leading to a penalty.

10 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I’m not getting this weak link stuff on Hammy. He’s been a very good player for us and still has years in him. Each to their own of course.

Also has had Bobby Linn in front of him majority of the time he’s been at the club. Weak link in our defence? Part time team and only Morton, Inverness and Hearts conceded less.... 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I think this coming season will be our most difficult so far in the Championship, being our first full season in the Championship, with no more disruptions due to Covid. 

Would expect the 2 teams relegated from the Premiership to be favourites for promotion and play off place which leaves the other 8 teams battling for 6 places to avoid relegation and relegation play offs, so it's going to be a tough season.

Hopefully we will be able to sign, or get a loanee striker in the Jack Hamilton mould and make a better start to the season than we did last season. But again would expect our aim to be an 8th place finish, anything higher will be a bonus. We have shown we are capable of competing in this league and looking forward to see how any new signings will fit into our style of play.

18 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I think this coming season will be our most difficult so far in the Championship, being our first full season in the Championship, with no more disruptions due to Covid. 

Would expect the 2 teams relegated from the Premiership to be favourites for promotion and play off place which leaves the other 8 teams battling for 6 places to avoid relegation and relegation play offs, so it's going to be a tough season.

Hopefully we will be able to sign, or get a loanee striker in the Jack Hamilton mould and make a better start to the season than we did last season. But again would expect our aim to be an 8th place finish, anything higher will be a bonus. We have shown we are capable of competing in this league and looking forward to see how any new signings will fit into our style of play.

Agree with most of this, but decent goalscoring striker, as we have found out are like hens teeth, got lucky with Hamilton, think we may need to get lucky again