The Arbroath Thread

Never a big fan of Whatley but he served the club well and lead us on the pitch to 2 titles. Being stripped of the captaincy was a kick in the nuts and early season injury hampered his chances of game time. All the best for the future.

Why is it we always seem to be wanting our old players back. Hester has done great for Elgin but it's a massive difference between league 2 and championship. Shall we bring Doris back....again?

Never a big fan of Whatley but he served the club well and lead us on the pitch to 2 titles. Being stripped of the captaincy was a kick in the nuts and early season injury hampered his chances of game time. All the best for the future.
Why is it we always seem to be wanting our old players back. Hester has done great for Elgin but it's a massive difference between league 2 and championship. Shall we bring Doris back....again?

Nothing to do with Hester being an ex. He’s easily the top scorer in league 2 this year, he’s young and clearly improving. Good enough for the Championship? Who knows, but given our lack of strikers he’s maybe worth trying.

Just adding to the list of those sorry to see Mark Whatley leave the club. I actually think he was a better captain on the park than Tom O'Brien and thought he should have kept the captaincy after O'Brien arrived and settled in.

Even when he wasn't on top form he gave 100% and was always gee-ing up the players around him. Can't say I'm surprised that Stewart Petrie would sign him, knowing him from his time at Gayfield.

So I would like to thank Mark for his time at the club and wish him all the best for the future. But I don't think any other club colours will suit him as well as maroon. As captain of our 2 title winning teams surely a candidate for the Hall of Fame.

7 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

No sure about the stripped of captaincy thing, he was very good last season after he had lost the captaincy, no to Hester, but there is a guy who sits near my dad, who, if we were losing would shout comontofuckcampbellgethesteron

Just adding to the list of those sorry to see Mark Whatley leave the club. I actually think he was a better captain on the park than Tom O'Brien and thought he should have kept the captaincy after O'Brien arrived and settled in.
Even when he wasn't on top form he gave 100% and was always gee-ing up the players around him. Can't say I'm surprised that Stewart Petrie would sign him, knowing him from his time at Gayfield.
So I would like to thank Mark for his time at the club and wish him all the best for the future. But I don't think any other club colours will suit him as well as maroon. As captain of our 2 title winning teams surely a candidate for the Hall of Fame.

He wasn't at Arbroath at the same time as Petrie

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I think Sheerin signed him in the summer before leaving for Aberdeen so he didn’t actually play under Sheerin and Petrie 

I know that happened to Simon Murray, did he and Whatley sign the same summer?

3 minutes ago, ecto said:

I know that happened to Simon Murray, did he and Whatley sign the same summer?

Yea. Murray signed and started the season on fire under Moore. Signed for United in January  and I think he scored 2 goals for the rest of the campaign 

22 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf that’s all down to match fitness though. He’s no been playing. Soon as he’s back he’ll be back at it, he’s still a good age. It’s no like his legs are gone or anything.

Not too sure, time will tell I suppose.