The Arbroath Thread

On 02/05/2021 at 18:07, 1320Lichtie said:

Doolan was fine. He done ok but I would be looking at trying another option up there. Best of luck if he moves on, think he could do well in L1 and very well in L2. He still looked sharp and was a few very good saves and wrong sides of the post away from having 3/4 more goals.

He may have looked sharp, but absolutely no pace

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Home shirt? The famous “candy stripes” I believe is what they call that shirt 

Aye, it was the change kit.

Problem is that it wouldn't be allowed now as you can't just reverse your first choice colours.

2 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I believe you, but why?

The club issued an explanation a few years ago, but I believe it boils down to SPFL Rule G31

"The first and second choice colours must be different and distinct"

I think that opinion was sought and that maroon/white was not "different and distinct" enough from white/maroon

The club could probably get away with all maroon with gold/silver/yellow/light blue flashings/numbers for the first kit & all white with claret pinstripes/numbers for the second...

Edited by lichtgilphead

Just sinking in. So relieved we don’t have to go to league 1. It looks terrible away day wise and I enjoy this league so much more especially with fans in grounds. 

Gaston

Thomson

Little 

Tob 

Hammy 

Gold 

McKenna 

Craigen

Linn

Stewart

Hilson

Donnelly 

Is what I think we will be left with. Swankie / Whatley / Doolan / Gallagher / Hamilton / Williamson / Low / Smith / Moore / Pigniatello all leaving. 

I think and hope we will see Low back. He’s been outstanding. That is a solid base to build on. There’s a few players at Alloa who might be worth looking at, Taggart and Dick spring to mind although our back 4 are still all at a great age. Trouten for a season to take Doolans place might be worth a go even if he is getting on. Kevin Cawley too. 

Loan wise I think we have shown that players coming here will get a chance and I think the club and DC are a very attractive place to come now. Had plenty of coverage over this season and last. 

Hope we go into next season the way we finished this one, up and at teams, took a while for things to change but when they did it come together well. We did start the season with 2 up at Kirkcaldy and I think that was the plan but after getting a hiding we kind of changed it up. 

Already looking forward to seeing what DC has up his sleeve for next season and hopefully and surely getting back into Gayfield for some friendlies and LC ties in the summer.

I’d really hope that Low would consider us a good prospect for his part time football career as it now seems to suit his fitness. Quite a few players seem to enjoy the top end of the part time game as it pays pretty well now. I think there may be quite a few good options for Dick to sign in the summer. Exciting times.

An intriguing summer awaits, I think the financial reality of a covid hit season will come home to roost for a few clubs, I’d assume given we must have a lower cost base than any other club in this league, we might come out of this ok, with some money in the bank ready to add to the squad.

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just sinking in. So relieved we don’t have to go to league 1. It looks terrible away day wise and I enjoy this league so much more especially with fans in grounds. 

Gaston

Thomson

Little 

Tob 

Hammy 

Gold 

McKenna 

Craigen

Linn

Stewart

Hilson

Donnelly 

Is what I think we will be left with. Swankie / Whatley / Doolan / Gallagher / Hamilton / Williamson / Low / Smith / Moore / Pigniatello all leaving. 

I think and hope we will see Low back. He’s been outstanding. That is a solid base to build on. There’s a few players at Alloa who might be worth looking at, Taggart and Dick spring to mind although our back 4 are still all at a great age. Trouten for a season to take Doolans place might be worth a go even if he is getting on. Kevin Cawley too. 

Loan wise I think we have shown that players coming here will get a chance and I think the club and DC are a very attractive place to come now. Had plenty of coverage over this season and last. 

Hope we go into next season the way we finished this one, up and at teams, took a while for things to change but when they did it come together well. We did start the season with 2 up at Kirkcaldy and I think that was the plan but after getting a hiding we kind of changed it up. 

Already looking forward to seeing what DC has up his sleeve for next season and hopefully and surely getting back into Gayfield for some friendlies and LC ties in the summer.

I really hope we sign Low and hopefully get Williamson back, Failing that i wonder if Miko could be an option again if the Dons aren’t really giving him the chance he deserves, It Would be amazing to get Hamilton back but probably not likely but you never know so unlike start of last season it would be ideal and perfect to get a goal scorer or 2 in early doors to support LD as much as possible, Trouten & Cawley are great shouts, Would Megginson or Nathan Austin come? 

An exciting summer build up awaits with DC wheeling and dealing  and can’t wait to get back and like you so glad it’s in the Championship 🇱🇻💪⚽

P.s Would be sad to see Swanks and Whatley go if that is the case, Been fantastic for us over the years and have helped the club achieve brilliant success with it

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

It'd be good to see Low getting a full season at this level. A player with rotten luck injury wise otherwise he'd still be playing at a higher level. If you guys like him just now you'll absolutely love him once you're allowed back in. It shows how suckered in fans can get but Low is one of those players who loves to celebrate with the crowd after a victory and you can't help but 'love to see it'.

19 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

The club issued an explanation a few years ago, but I believe it boils down to SPFL Rule G31

"The first and second choice colours must be different and distinct"

I think that opinion was sought and that maroon/white was not "different and distinct" enough from white/maroon

The club could probably get away with all maroon with gold/silver/yellow/light blue flashings/numbers for the first kit & all white with claret pinstripes/numbers for the second...

A couple of seasons ago, Brechin had a first kit of red/white/red a change kit of white/red/white

On 02/05/2021 at 14:20, SimonLichtie said:

If we could get Ben Williamson back on loan (obviously wouldn't be done until late July at absolute earliest) and Nicky Low signed up then outside of a couple of strikers we really wouldn't have much business to do outside of the usual loans with what we have signed up currently.

Derek Gaston

Jason Thomson

ToB

Ricky Little

Colin Hamilton

Bobby Linn

David Gold

Michael McKenna

Scott Stewart

Bobby Linn

Dale Hilson

Luke Donnelly

Is there anyone else I've missed that's confirmed for next season?

I think you have missed James Craigen Simon, 36-0.

On 02/05/2021 at 18:07, 1320Lichtie said:

Doolan was fine. He done ok but I would be looking at trying another option up there. Best of luck if he moves on, think he could do well in L1 and very well in L2. He still looked sharp and was a few very good saves and wrong sides of the post away from having 3/4 more goals.

Agree with this, although Doolan has lost his pace his holding the ball up and link up play was excellent plus as the other post (shots on target) suggests he was one of our top players for having a shot at goal and he has been unlucky that he had some very good saves against him including Craig Gordon's at Gayfield.

If Dools does move on then all the best to him and a team in a lower league will get an excellent player and a good pro..

The Gaffer also rated him highly so that is praise indeed.

36-0.

I just wanted to come on here tonight and congratulate Richard Campbell, Arbroath and their supporters. Having a part-time team compete the way Arbroath have for two seasons against almost exclusively full-time opponents week on week is something else.

Dick and his team really have it down to an art. From a distance, what has stood out for me is his player sourcing and how simply he sets his team up to play. If ever I've dipped into match highlights I've always come away with the impression that Abroath's success is the product of a team with a great blend of experience, natural fitness, physicality and ability which, in many areas of the park, is at least as good as the full-time players' it's pitted against. That's to say nothing of the great spirit which Arbroath clearly have about them.

What I'm really saying is... Arbroath are my big team now.

It'll be really interesting to see how you get on next season. And even if they don't shout it from the rooftops, I know there are plenty of supporters of other lower league clubs who'll be rooting for you each week.

2 hours ago, Clydeside said:

I just wanted to come on here tonight and congratulate Richard Campbell, Arbroath and their supporters. Having a part-time team compete the way Arbroath have for two seasons against almost exclusively full-time opponents week on week is something else.

Dick and his team really have it down to an art. From a distance, what has stood out for me is his player sourcing and how simply he sets his team up to play. If ever I've dipped into match highlights I've always come away with the impression that Abroath's success is the product of a team with a great blend of experience, natural fitness, physicality and ability which, in many areas of the park, is at least as good as the full-time players' it's pitted against. That's to say nothing of the great spirit which Arbroath clearly have about them.

What I'm really saying is... Arbroath are my big team now.

It'll be really interesting to see how you get on next season. And even if they don't shout it from the rooftops, I know there are plenty of supporters of other lower league clubs who'll be rooting for you each week.

Every week that goes by the part time full time thing doesn’t seem like such a big deal to me. We are just as good and just as fit. I think the full time teams, the decent ones anyway, all seem to have a couple of good quality players in attacking positions, guys that can win them games whereas we don’t have as many. Guys like Bobby Linn etc. But overall as a squad we can definitely compete and were just as good. Need the right loans in in attacking areas to complement our team and we’ll be ok again next year I think.