The Arbroath Thread

I really do feel for many part time clubs there are specific turning points, ours of course quite clearly being the appointment of Dick. It's interesting to think how things could have gone if we'd made a different appointment. Instead of appointing Dick - we could have gone down an entirely different route....

Similar to Albion Rovers bold experiment with appointment John Brogan, and with that not having taken place yet, we go down this route and appoint John McVeigh to save us from relegation after Todd leaves the club second bottom in League 2 (which was, of course, entirely the players fault and ruined Todd's reputation and road to management glory). McVeigh, feeling fresh after a 5 year break enforced break from the game due to a misunderstanding with a referee resulting in him assulting him with his own notebook while managing Lanark, is brought in as an old school figure to demand respect and 110% from the players. McVeigh manages to get us over the line and keeps us in the league through various threats of violence aimed at our shitebag squad resulting in them scraping enough points to survive. McVeigh is given a long term deal by the board, which was not the clubs plan however due to McVeigh turning up to the meeting armed with several notebooks and certainly not afraid to use them, the club were unable to turn down his 'offer' of staying for several more years.

Having had time to analyise the squad, it's clear to McVeigh that pub league players like Linn and Little are what held previous supreme leader Lumsden back and the squad is severely lacking in experience. The pre season see's us signing Andy Smith and Peter Hetherston, who certainly have the required experience but haven't played at any level for several years. The fans worries begin to really gather pace when in the last few days of the August window, with a small squad already struggling, deals are given out to Owen Coyle, Derek Ferguson and Ally Maxwell. Bemusement turns to anger as Robert Duvall is the announced as an assistant to McVeigh, and Ally McCost is signed to add some 'legs' up top for the aging Coyle and Smith. It becomes clear at this point that McVeigh is putting together some 'old pals act' and the fans anger really gathers pace after several post match interviews where McVeigh threates the club's volunteer social media worker with the notebook treatment and continually makes bizarre references to a non existant team called 'Kilnockie'.

Come the January window with the club stranded at the bottom of the league, McVeigh finally acknowledges the need for some younger players. Unfortunately this results in the signing of Andy Smith's son Jack, who sadly is unable to add anything to the team, and both Smith's end up leaving the club prior to the season ending due to constant questions/ suspicions relating to why Smith snr is 3 foot taller than Smith jnr. Incredibly, the club are given permission by the SPFL to replace both Smith's with a one off emergency loan just in time for the last game of the season, with a win needed to secure our safety. An oddly recognisable player is signed out of no-where, by the name of 'Derek' McCall, who McVeigh announces to the press in the days prior to the match will certainly 'put the shite up them!' with a massive grin.

Incredibly, Arbroath manage a final day win to secure safety, with a dazzling performance by McCall seeing the Lichties go 3-0 up and a huge ovation given to the complete unknown as he is subbed off with 10 minutes to go. As the whistle is blown, there is sheer elation. Somehow, McVeigh has manages to secure survival, and he's managed it by somehow pulling a sensational signing out of the bag.

As the fans celebrate, a horrible smell begins to spread itself over Gayfield. An incredible odur is being released from the tunnel area, and the away team appear to be running in every direction out of their dressing room, the fear in their eyes evident...... Rumours begin to spread, and suddenly hero of the hour Derek McCall is front and centre with a microphone. The cheers turn to shock as he rips off his fake moustache and beard to reveal his true self...... Ian McCall. At this point, without even a seconds thoughts, everyone knew what had happened, and how serious the situation now was. There wasn't a man, woman or child in Scottish football who wasn't aware of McCall's weird shoe shitting antics in years gone by, and clearly he was back for one final 'hurrah'.

The investigations took a long time to complete, and a lot of analysis was required to come to a final decision. These were of course the investigations into how just one man could manage to lay a full log in every opposition players shoe, both left and right, with debates raging on for years about just how much shite one man could produce. Footballing wise - the investigation was an easy one. A 3-0 forfeit given for the game, and a Highland League place for Arbroath.

Considering most of the above is based on facts (seriously, why is Jack so much smaller than Andy Smith!?) and things that have happened at other football clubs, I'm sure we can all understand how how close we were as a club to the above becoming exactly how things panned out after Todd left. :unsure: :ph34r:

Now we get to the horrible part of the season when players are released as no longer required. Who will DC tell that their time is over at the lichties?

It’s a horrible part of the manager’s role. I’m sure Dick can assure any of our leavers that they are likely to get regular starts in lower league clubs rather than warming the bench with us. Potential leavers like Whatley may welcome the prospect of being a part of a campaign at another club.

Last season wasn’t as enjoyable as this one. We shitfested most games. This season I believed we could’ve beat anyone in 2021 by getting up and at them too and playing 4-4-2 direct football.

Don’t think we will get Hamilton back but I think there’s a chance of Low and Williamson. Another couple of players and hopefully another good loan signing and don’t see why we can’t do well again next year. 

If we could get Ben Williamson back on loan (obviously wouldn't be done until late July at absolute earliest) and Nicky Low signed up then outside of a couple of strikers we really wouldn't have much business to do outside of the usual loans with what we have signed up currently.

Derek Gaston

Jason Thomson

ToB

Ricky Little

Colin Hamilton

Bobby Linn

David Gold

Michael McKenna

Scott Stewart

Bobby Linn

Dale Hilson

Luke Donnelly

Is there anyone else I've missed that's confirmed for next season?

Having a look round the lower leagues and having a look who could maybe do a job for us, Andy Ryan? Always thought Steeves would be a decent back up defender, really slim pickings,
If Hamilton isn't available then Cameron has decent for Alloa ans would be an option,

Would be sad to see Whatley go but we always have to improve and unfortunately it has shown with Williamson ans Low thsts the level of player we need, Perhaps Miko will be available too

50 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Having a look round the lower leagues and having a look who could maybe do a job for us, Andy Ryan? Always thought Steeves would be a decent back up defender, really slim pickings,
If Hamilton isn't available then Cameron has decent for Alloa ans would be an option,

Would be sad to see Whatley go but we always have to improve and unfortunately it has shown with Williamson ans Low thsts the level of player we need, Perhaps Miko will be available too

Gary Miller at Falkirk is always good for a 30yd screamer and random bampottery. (If it's the same Gary Miller who used to be with us).

Sorry to hear you might be getting rid of Doolan (🥰).

Doolan was fine. He done ok but I would be looking at trying another option up there. Best of luck if he moves on, think he could do well in L1 and very well in L2. He still looked sharp and was a few very good saves and wrong sides of the post away from having 3/4 more goals.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

🏆TASC AWARDS🏆

With the season now at an end and our Championship safety confirmed it’s time for fans to vote for the TASC Player of the Year and New Signing of the Year awards. All players are eligible for the Player of the year award while the players listed below are eligible for the New Signing award.

Scott Gallagher
Carlo Pigniatello
Ben Williamson
Nicky Low
Kris Doolan
Lewis Moore
Jack Hamilton
Miko Virtanen
Jake Davidson
Callum Smith 
Michael Ruth
Connor Smith

Due to having no members for the 2020/21 season we are opening up the vote to all Lichtie supporters. To vote pop over to the Facebook page and message the page directly. If you have a child in the household who would also like to vote then put their vote in the message as well. 

Voting closes on Sunday the 9th of May at 8pm. Votes placed after that will not be counted. Thank you for all your support throughout this difficult season 🇱🇻

https://m.facebook.com/TASC-1878-Tutties-Arbroath-Supporters-Club-272000992837245/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=page_post_reaction

182AF557-4ED7-4EC5-9D5F-B63150FD914B.jpeg

[emoji471]TASC AWARDS[emoji471]
With the season now at an end and our Championship safety confirmed it’s time for fans to vote for the TASC Player of the Year and New Signing of the Year awards. All players are eligible for the Player of the year award while the players listed below are eligible for the New Signing award.
Scott Gallagher
Carlo Pigniatello
Ben Williamson
Nicky Low
Kris Doolan
Lewis Moore
Jack Hamilton
Miko Virtanen
Jake Davidson
Callum Smith 
Michael Ruth
Connor Smith
Due to having no members for the 2020/21 season we are opening up the vote to all Lichtie supporters. To vote pop over to the Facebook page and message the page directly. If you have a child in the household who would also like to vote then put their vote in the message as well. 
Voting closes on Sunday the 9th of May at 8pm. Votes placed after that will not be counted. Thank you for all your support throughout this difficult season [emoji1145]

https://m.facebook.com/TASC-1878-Tutties-Arbroath-Supporters-Club-272000992837245/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=page_post_reaction
182AF557-4ED7-4EC5-9D5F-B63150FD914B.thumb.jpeg.9b40f4926a673c833ea6508fe17859b4.jpeg

Thanks to TASC for holding us together through a difficult but ultimately very successful season. [emoji122]

Don’t think I’ve ever been so relieved for a season to be over, a real struggle to stay interested for large parts of it.

Whatley, Swankie & Doolan are the obvious candidates to move on, with Scott Gallacher already been confirmed as away. Had sort of thought the writing was on the wall for Whatley when he was stripped of the captaincy, not a player who I was always a huge fan of but can’t overlook his contributions to 2 titles as captain. Swankie a dead cert hall of famer and a shame the pair of them won’t get a send off in front of fans. I’ve spent enough time this season moaning about Doolan so won’t go over that again, never a signing I thought would work out but he has helped us stay up so fair play. Championship definitely above his level now though. As for Scott Gallacher, he may or may not actually exist [emoji23]

Priorities for next season are fairly obvious, and signing Nicky Low permanently seems a decent place to start. There’s an element of risk due to his injury prone past but hopefully the part time regime helps his body cope better. Will be gutted if I don’t get to see him play for us in the flesh TBH. Him and Ben Williamson have both been essential to us staying up, and it would be fantastic to get him back as well. After the disappointment of Miko Virtanens second loan spell, to replace him with somebody even better was incredible.

As good as Low and Williamson were, Jack Hamilton’s goals have kept us up. He’s had an incredible season and unfortunately for us, that means we’ve probably no chance of getting him back for next season. There’s not really any obvious candidates to bring in to replace him, although I’m encouraged by the fact that in January we were looking further afield for players to sign, so perhaps somebody from left field will come in and take his place. Again, risky, but there’s not going to be many goalscorers who are both realistic & available this summer.

A winger might be nice as well this summer, Bobby is 36 and whilst he’s probably in as good shape as he ever has been, I’m sure he’d like a bit of help going forward. Statistically his season was very average, but you can’t underestimate his performances over the course of our unbeaten run that really kicked our season into life. Dick being so conservative in his use of Linn & Ruth during the first half of the season was one of the reasons we struggled imo, hopefully our performances recently when we’ve really gone for it will have convinced him not to go down that route again.

Rambled on a bit there but trying to distract myself from the crippling hangover I have just now!All going well I really hope that we can be back to normal for the start of next season and give this league another good crack.

47 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Don’t think I’ve ever been so relieved for a season to be over, a real struggle to stay interested for large parts of it.

Whatley, Swankie & Doolan are the obvious candidates to move on, with Scott Gallacher already been confirmed as away. Had sort of thought the writing was on the wall for Whatley when he was stripped of the captaincy, not a player who I was always a huge fan of but can’t overlook his contributions to 2 titles as captain. Swankie a dead cert hall of famer and a shame the pair of them won’t get a send off in front of fans. I’ve spent enough time this season moaning about Doolan so won’t go over that again, never a signing I thought would work out but he has helped us stay up so fair play. Championship definitely above his level now though. As for Scott Gallacher, he may or may not actually exist emoji23.png

Priorities for next season are fairly obvious, and signing Nicky Low permanently seems a decent place to start. There’s an element of risk due to his injury prone past but hopefully the part time regime helps his body cope better. Will be gutted if I don’t get to see him play for us in the flesh TBH. Him and Ben Williamson have both been essential to us staying up, and it would be fantastic to get him back as well. After the disappointment of Miko Virtanens second loan spell, to replace him with somebody even better was incredible.

As good as Low and Williamson were, Jack Hamilton’s goals have kept us up. He’s had an incredible season and unfortunately for us, that means we’ve probably no chance of getting him back for next season. There’s not really any obvious candidates to bring in to replace him, although I’m encouraged by the fact that in January we were looking further afield for players to sign, so perhaps somebody from left field will come in and take his place. Again, risky, but there’s not going to be many goalscorers who are both realistic & available this summer.

A winger might be nice as well this summer, Bobby is 36 and whilst he’s probably in as good shape as he ever has been, I’m sure he’d like a bit of help going forward. Statistically his season was very average, but you can’t underestimate his performances over the course of our unbeaten run that really kicked our season into life. Dick being so conservative in his use of Linn & Ruth during the first half of the season was one of the reasons we struggled imo, hopefully our performances recently when we’ve really gone for it will have convinced him not to go down that route again.

Rambled on a bit there but trying to distract myself from the crippling hangover I have just now!All going well I really hope that we can be back to normal for the start of next season and give this league another good crack.

Good post bro

Don’t think there’s any chance of Williamson coming back to us, Rangers will see his next step as a full time club most probably in the Premier league, similar to Scott Martin who we had a few seasons back. Heard Hearts are already interested in him.

Id welcome the permanent signing of Low, East Stirling were obviously paying him a fair whack to even consider playing down at that level. 

I was made aware the Communty trust coaches were last week given a Macron sizing guide for new kit.

Given they operate under the same umbrella as the club I’d take this as a hint of changing kit supplier.

Of course I am putting 2+2 together and maybe getting 5.