The Arbroath Thread

Congratulations to Arbroath  on retaining your Championship status. Hoping that one day we will join you in the Championship but genuinely pleased you are continuing  to fly the flag for part-timers at this level.  Stewart Petrie and Ross Campbell have said you provide the benchmark and for that reason it is far better that we continue  to improve rather than you get worse.

Angus United!...

D1FE1BF1-1E19-4250-BB99-71876B09F5B9.png

9 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Right, Dick. Tomorrow, sign Nicky Low and get onto Rangers and Livi about keeping Williamson and Hamilton for another season.

Congratulations to Arbroath on staying up. Been following your results since Hamilton joined. Hoping to see him get more of a chance in a Livi shirt next season after two impressive loans.

Worst hangover I’ve had in 18 months and I couldn’t give a f*ck! Congratulations to dick, Ian, the players and everyone involved at the club! Fantastic achievement! [emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji122]

Great to see Ricky walking off with all the POTY trophies. He wasn’t my pick (TOB) but for drive, enthusiasm, sheer hard work and defensive excellence it is well deserved. I was surprised Williamson got young POTY and not Hamilton. How many goals did he need to score to win it? I like Williamson and would love him back but he’s been inconsistent.

Thanks to all the players, management and staff at Gayfield for such a roller coaster season - this is an outstanding achievement and fully deserved.

Full credit to everyone at the club - great times for Arbroath fans.

Also, special mention for all the loan players who have all played a really crucial role in getting us over the line - it has been a real pleasure watching the loan players, they all gave 100% and were fantastic to watch playing - they will be remembered for a long time to come for their vital contribution this season.

Congratulations to all the players, management and staff.

Over the moon.

I've watched about 90% of the games this season, and apart from about 2-3 games, we've been very decent all season and not to sound arrogant, but definitely deserved to stay in the league. You just need to look at the table to see where the main issue was - scoring! If we could find a goal scorer (yes, no shit Sherlock) 

The loan signings have been brilliant. Good auld DC - Williamson possibly better than Miko on the scale of things last year? Nicky Low has been superb, I really hope he signs long term. Jack Hamilton started superb then went off the boil before coming good again ; TBH, I wonder if both would come back next year too? Doubt Williamson will get in to the Rangers team, but then again maybe he could play at a higher/lower Premiership level. 

There was a dip in the season just around Xmas ish and I feared the worst, not that we were playing all that bad, but just couldn't score and we were dropping points. 

Just magnificent, roll on next season, as someone outwith the county and town, Arbroath TV has been brilliant value. 

Can't wait to get back next year and looking forward to the likes of Jags ; Dundee (reckon they'll feck the POs up) ; bringing a big support to Gayfield. 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT 

Congratulations to Nicky Low on winning the  TASC Social Media Man of The Match for his performance in the Lichties 0-0 draw with Morton last night which secured our Championship safety. The on loan Shire midfielder has been a hit with the Lichties faithful and has won the final 2 awards of the 20/21 season. 

Thanks to all fans who have voted on the man of the match awards throughout this season, and as always from all at TASC thank you for your continued support. See you next season 🇱🇻

5C64A14E-56A4-488B-B989-440E37137ACF.jpeg

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT 

Congratulations to Nicky Low on winning the  TASC Social Media Man of The Match for his performance in the Lichties 0-0 draw with Morton last night which secured our Championship safety. The on loan Shire midfielder has been a hit with the Lichties faithful and has won the final 2 awards of the 20/21 season. 

Thanks to all fans who have voted on the man of the match awards throughout this season, and as always from all at TASC thank you for your continued support. See you next season [emoji1145]

5C64A14E-56A4-488B-B989-440E37137ACF.thumb.jpeg.4c064950aad838b48818ca6a5599f6df.jpeg

Best player on the park by a mile. I loved seeing him taking charge and bossing Williamson.

12 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Great to see Ricky walking off with all the POTY trophies. He wasn’t my pick (TOB) but for drive, enthusiasm, sheer hard work and defensive excellence it is well deserved. I was surprised Williamson got young POTY and not Hamilton. How many goals did he need to score to win it? I like Williamson and would love him back but he’s been inconsistent.

Ricky player of the year,Well deserved,and congrats .He should be given the Freedom of Arbroath , which includes free beer for life at Tutties if im correct.

Edited by Douglas Peel
Stupidity.

It’s a tremendous achievement to stay in this league, and punching a fair bit above our weight. The fact that we looked no-hopers for the entire first half of the season just makes the transformation all the sweeter. Our other rivals for relegation must have developed a comforting complacency when we were well adrift at the foot of the table (only 2 points after 8 games and only 6 after 12).

I think that after poor start (well, much longer than that). I’d already mentally filed this season as one to try to ‘save face’ and maybe another 2001-2 season when, after a storming first season in the Championship (also almost 2 decades after our last fall from grace), we couldn’t get a grip on the difficult second album, ... er season and limped to a miserable 15 point total to end up bottom (don’t think we won after December).

Oh ye of little faith. The first game at Raith aside, our performances in the early games had not been that bad though we struggled to score. But the management has proven their worth in loans and mid season signings and this added the vital ingredient. Bringing in Hamilton and Low to add to the contribution of Williamson was masterly. To keep perspective, it was really our magnificent defence that carried us through again - keeping fit and stable throughout plus chipping in goals at the other end (I thought Jason Thomson’s injury might derail us since he’s so important to us at both ends) but the addition of new players added the missing threat....PLUS a discernible change in approach to push forward more. Early on we seldom posed much threat going forward. Rebuilding the Gayfield fortress was also satisfying - and even creates a psychological advantage/fear factor when you hear other managers regularly referring to it

Anyway, so satisfying and well deserved to end up avoiding the 9th playoff spot. Second half against Morton, I almost got greedy - a goal would have us into 6th place above Queens, earning more prize money. Absolutely delighted to get over the line.. and now enjoy my favourite part of the season with a warm feeling - the close season - with no stress (and watching live streams is more stressful than being there).

As Dick mentioned in interview, it gets harder each season and next season will be an even tougher challenge. No surprise factor, possibly the only part-time club in a league of larger teams. But the approach, spirit and sheer capability the team has demonstrated from about game 13 onwards (we’re in the top half of the form tables) offers plenty of encouragement. Combined with the energy and drive of the Board and the positive community engagement, it’s a good time to an AFC diehard.

In the long run, we’re all doomed (how long can Gayfield withstand climate change, ocean level rise, extreme weather? How long can we compete with the new money and player imports of the likes of Cove, Kelty, etc?). All the more reason to enjoy our seasons in the sun.

45 minutes ago, relichtie said:

Now we get to the horrible part of the season when players are released as no longer required. Who will DC tell that their time is over at the lichties?

I think the players leaving will be Gallagher, Whately, Doolan and Swankie 

Congrats on staying up again this season a'body. Arguably the best ground (certainly the most coastal and windier than the top of Ben Nevis) and absolutely the best pie.

St Johnstone fans have been getting wide about their steak and chorizo effort lately though, so your pieman might have to raise it a bit.

Can't wait for the Bunnet Derbies. Enjoy your summer.