The Arbroath Thread

I firmly believe we have some of the best part time players in the country in our squad, but it's been over 2 years now since Dick decided Ryan Wallace wasn't for him (no need to debate if this was right or wrong [emoji38]) and we've not actually replaced him yet. When we stopped playing him, we started struggling to score, and we've really not been fully sorted upfront since.
The problem when you get to our stage, up there as being one the best part time teams in the country and wanting too stay at that level consistently and build a squad to do so, is that you need to be able to sign and retain the best part time players for a number of years we all know. We've managed to do that all over the park in the last few years, apart from with a striker. Unfortunately one of the differences between ourselves and Alloa is over the past few years they've been able to sign a loan striker or two to supplement Alan Trouten, where as we've been signing a loan striker and pretty much solely relying on him to do the business.
For me, it's a weird situation. We're 90% of the way there too being an absolutely superb part time team and being mid table in this division, but at the same time we're miles off simply due to our huge striking deficiencies.
Ultimately there's only around half a dozen or so strikers who we could realistically have signed/ sign at a part time level of the standard we need and who we could have at the club for a number of years, and it's easier said than done to go out and just get one of them too sign for us. I feel like we had one of them, decided it wasn't going to work out, and took the chance we could sign someone as good/ better, and that gamble hasn't paid off yet, and here we are 2+ years later.

Yeah but we are also lacking goals from our midfield players.

I dont think we have any midfielders that are a consistent threat to the final third.

I firmly believe we have some of the best part time players in the country in our squad, but it's been over 2 years now since Dick decided Ryan Wallace wasn't for him (no need to debate if this was right or wrong :lol:) and we've not actually replaced him yet. When we stopped playing him, we started struggling to score, and we've really not been fully sorted upfront since.
The problem when you get to our stage, up there as being one the best part time teams in the country and wanting too stay at that level consistently and build a squad to do so, is that you need to be able to sign and retain the best part time players for a number of years we all know. We've managed to do that all over the park in the last few years, apart from with a striker. Unfortunately one of the differences between ourselves and Alloa is over the past few years they've been able to sign a loan striker or two to supplement Alan Trouten, where as we've been signing a loan striker and pretty much solely relying on him to do the business.
For me, it's a weird situation. We're 90% of the way there too being an absolutely superb part time team and being mid table in this division, but at the same time we're miles off simply due to our huge striking deficiencies.
Ultimately there's only around half a dozen or so strikers who we could realistically have signed/ sign at a part time level of the standard we need and who we could have at the club for a number of years, and it's easier said than done to go out and just get one of them too sign for us. I feel like we had one of them, decided it wasn't going to work out, and took the chance we could sign someone as good/ better, and that gamble hasn't paid off yet, and here we are 2+ years later.

Simon back on about Ryan Wallace! As it happens I agree, but it’s still funny. Since Steven Doris’s injury we’ve had one stellar goal-scoring season from Bobby and then Wallace. Wighton rescued us last season.

I also think we lack creativity from midfield since Ryan McCord got fat. Our midfielders can run forever and through brick walls but no cutting edge and few goals. Nicky Low? Let’s hope he’s fit and makes a difference.

A win on Saturday against Alloa would almost certainly mean relegation for the Wasps .

We could then focus on closing the gap with Morton.

The players can do this, for sure.

Losing to Alloa is not an option - we need to win and then focus on catching Morton.

Each game is going to be a mighty battle - but we can do this.

Classic lethal strikers like Colin "Dibble" McGlashan are in short supply, our last one would probably be Paul "Shagger" McManus unlike Simon i would not put Ryan Wallace in that category but Wallace was a goal threat and we can do with him now, at the club just now the most natural penalty box striker is Kris Doolan and for minutes played over the season he has notched a 3 maybe 4 goals and like in the first Hearts game he was unlucky not to add to that tally but i do not think he is a 90 minute striker at this level now and i would use him as an impact sub (strange why Dick never brought him on yesterday in 81 minutes when we are 1-0 down and chasing the game and he brings on a defensive midfielder!!).

As has been said our last creative and goal threat midfielder was Pongo McCord with probably the injured Gav Swankie the closest we have to him but heard good things about the loan player Nicky Low but he has not played at this level for years so not sure how fit/good he will be?

Wighton made a massive difference for us last season just look at the points we picked up in the amount of games he played for us, look at his goal last night against the Dees = class.

I would maybe look to put McKenna in a more central attacking role behind Hilson and Hamilton with Moore and Gold out wide as we really need to attack teams more rather than go looking not to get beaten.

In DC we trust.

C'MON THE RED LICHTIES, 36-0.

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT 

Congratulations to Colin Hamilton on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties loss in the Highlands yesterday. Hammy put in his solid performance on the left side of the back 4 and has deservedly won this weeks award. Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

21F0044D-20BF-4B0C-A0EE-660D9D520FA4.jpeg

We seem to have midfielders who always seem to prefer to try the safe simple pass or a bit of a lump forward. With Bobby, you know when he receives the ball, he's going to drive at the defense and make things happen. Yesterday, Moore only did this once really early in second half. McKenna isn't a proper wide player either and don't think he's likely to create much from out wide. Might need players to start taking some risks which might lead to opportunities.

If there is one thing about Alloa, they seem to create and score goals at this level fairly regularly. If we could do this and with our usually reliable backline, we would possibly be in a better position to stay in the division.

Lets get back out on our boat, beat Alloa and start reeling in Morton or whoever is in 8th.

Relatively good news on Bobby's injury, he won't need surgery but will be out for 6 to 8 weeks. Doubt very much that he will play again this season which is no bad thing for him personally. With recovery time from the injury followed by the close season he should be as fit as ever for the start of next season.

The manager has said that he wouldn't sign any players unless they were better than the ones at the club. I guess that doesn't apply to players signed on loan? Are the two latest signings better than the players at the club? Maybe time will tell, if they get any time on the pitch. And yes, I know that Low got a few minutes on Saturday

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

It has obviously maybe went under the radar a bit with everything going on at the moment but on April 23rd it will be 10 years since the Red Lichties won the league under the Chairmanship of John Christison and Manager Paul Sheerin and Stewart Petrie as Assistant Manager and Mike Cargill etc etc with some of the present AFC Board members still involved with the club back then.

Magnificent football and a place in history for Arbroath FC with it being the first League Championship in its history so hopefully the club does something to celebrate this fantastic achievement.

It has obviously maybe went under the radar a bit with everything going on at the moment but on April 23rd it will be 10 years since the Red Lichties won the league under the Chairmanship of John Christison and Manager Paul Sheerin and Stewart Petrie as Assistant Manager and Mike Cargill etc etc with some of the present AFC Board members still involved with the club back then.
Magnificent football and a place in history for Arbroath FC with it being the first League Championship in its history so hopefully the club does something to celebrate this fantastic achievement.

An unforgettable day for AFC. Arguably the start of our current era of success in the Leagues. It’s certainly worth celebrating in any way we can. 10 amazing years of success.

18 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Oddly enough Petrie was recommended to Sheerin, by Dick Campbell, apparently

A fact that gets very little attention

His name comes up as a possible for Championship vacancies but everyone is playing it safe. I’d love to have him when Dick calls it a day, but I doubt he’ll be interested unless we’re in the Championship.

His name comes up as a possible for Championship vacancies but everyone is playing it safe. I’d love to have him when Dick calls it a day, but I doubt he’ll be interested unless we’re in the Championship.

I think it’s more to do with him being pretty happy at Montrose and staying part time. I doubt any club in this division would be appealing to him besides Dunfermline given his history (even then it might not happen) with them and potentially yourselves as he might view it as a step up to a better part time gig.

It’s a bit like Tam O’Brien. He’s clearly able to step up a level but I don’t think he really has any ambitions to go full time nor is their any FT teams able to make it worth his while outside of the top clubs and they won’t be interested anyway.

Think its been mentioned he probably has a decent secure job in a bank and with the part time income he will be quite happy being part time,
Arbroath could probably offer him a better salary and attract better players but would he come back to us after missing out on the job when he wanted it after Sheerin left? I think he is clearly loving life at montrose and is doing a great job

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Think its been mentioned he probably has a decent secure job in a bank and with the part time income he will be quite happy being part time,
Arbroath could probably offer him a better salary and attract better players but would he come back to us after missing out on the job when he wanted it after Sheerin left? I think he is clearly loving life at montrose and is doing a great job

New chairman this time round. Maybe that would sway him to come to the best team In Angus