The Arbroath Thread

So, now Leagues 1 & 2 are restarting, what points target would we need to avoid the 9th playoff spot (which is Dick C’s stated objective)? I think most seasons, 40 points usually just about means safety (so probably 30 points+ in the current curtailed season) so that would be a minimum of a point a game equivalent until the end of the season.

For those ‘glass half full’ types, I think we would need maybe 40 points to entertain wild dreams of a promotion playoff slot (ie double our tally till now).

I came to the same conclusion. Tight league.

I wouldn't even be thinking about how many points we need to finish at worst 8th. If we carry on the way we are right now, solid at the back, scoring the odd goal here and there, picking up points along the way, that really should be our main focus. Targets are all well and good but right now just keep doing what we're doing then it should about be enough.

3 or 4 wins out of 9 should be enough, having said that the way this league is going it could still be incredibly tight right to the wire. Even Alloa, who are looking a little cut adrift at the moment, could start to climb the table with a good run. Not much between any of the teams this season apart form Hearts, although they’re not having it all their own way.

Kind of the thinking that, with so many clubs so close together, that 30 will be enough

In regards the Falkirk game i would still be starting my strongest team to MAKE SURE we get past them and through to the Celtic game to make some money.

If we are 3 up with 30 mins to play that is when you can start bringing on "fringe" players but also agree on what was said earlier i would only class 2 maybe 3 of our squad "fringe" players as the rest could easily step in and not weaken the eleven on the park imo.

In regards Division 1 and Division 2 i have this sneaky feeling their leagues will be reduced to an 18 game season and there will be no promotion and relegation but the team at the top of each league will still be classed as Champions and that will be put to those clubs as "an agreement" to get back playing again.

I think we will only see relegation and promotion this season from the SPL/Championship.

As has been said we need to just keep playing away like we are and make sure we are as far up the league as possible, this has been a crazy season for every club in Scotland and the SFA/SPFL will want the season finished asap and start afresh (hopefully) without restrictions next season.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.   

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

#ThrowbackThursday

Today we are throwing it back exactly 1 year to the 4th of March 2020 and the last time fans were allowed in Gayfield. The Lichties drew 0-0 with Dunfermline Athletic that night in a rather turgid affair in front of 1146 fans, little did we know this would be the last time we would watch our beloved Lichties in person at home. What do you miss most about a match day at Gayfield? Let us know in the comments 🇱🇻

In regards the Falkirk game i would still be starting my strongest team to MAKE SURE we get we get past them and through to the Celtic player to make some money.
If we are 3 up with 30 mins to play that is when you can start bringing on "fringe" players but also agree on what was said earlier i would only class 2 maybe 3 of our squad "fringe" players as the rest could easily step in and not weaken the eleven on the park imo.

Excuse my ignorance. The SFA have sold the TV rights to the cup to the BBC and Premier Sports. Do clubs who feature on TV get extra money?
As for “fringe players” I just meant lads who have had little or no game time for various reasons - including they’ve just joined us. It was nit a comment on their quality. Lewis’s Moore looks fantastic.

3 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Excuse my ignorance. The SFA have sold the TV rights to the cup to the BBC and Premier Sports. Do clubs who feature on TV get extra money?
As for “fringe players” I just meant lads who have had little or no game time for various reasons - including they’ve just joined us. It was nit a comment on their quality. Lewis’s Moore looks fantastic.

Why would you not get extra money? Was it not 82k or something on sky? Why would it be different? Doesn’t work the same way as it does with the bbc and the league games does it?

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why would you not get extra money? Was it not 82k or something on sky? Why would it be different? Doesn’t work the same way as it does with the bbc and the league games does it?

Think they changed it a couple of seasons back to about £35k per club. The difference was added to the prize money shared by all the clubs in that round.

8 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Not sure about the money but surely the clubs in the Scottish Cup on the Live TV game would get some extra cash, maybe not as much as SKY used to pay out but i would imagine an extra 5 figure fee to each club so a lot of money to a club like ours, okay not the same at an empty Parkhead BUT we must get past a tough game against FULL TIME Falkirk first, remember they put us out last season plus being full time and maybe only get to start training 2 weeks before the game it will be 2 weeks training every day so they will be up to speed and fit albeit maybe not match fit.

In regards our "fringe" players i would only class the youngster from DUFC and the lad we just signed from Livi and our back up goalie albeit he is experienced in this bracket, all the rest Gold/Whatley/Stewart/Moore and the out injured Swankie/Big Luke could easily step into our starting XI.  

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.

I think your man Moore will get a start next week

Not so sure. He was less effective than I expected, but the whole second half performance was poor. I think Bobby went off earlier than planned because he had a yellow card. Bad tackle by Linn [emoji23]

Not so sure. He was less effective than I expected, but the whole second half performance was poor. I think Bobby went off earlier than planned because he had a yellow card. Bad tackle by Linn [emoji23]

On second thoughts he may get a start v Dundee because he can’t play the week after against Hearts.

My stream started working about a minute before that leveler from Queens. 

That was one of the worst performances I have seen in a while, possibly since Raith (a) on the first game of the season. The run had to come to an end, and they have improved tenfold  ; but its still so disappointing to blow a lead like that and at home (OK, nae crowd etc) and to concede four. Part of the success of the 8 game undefeated run was how solid the defence was and they were torn right open today - albeit by what looks like very good players at that level. That looked a very good QOTS team though so no complaints, absolutely waltzed to their win and even in the second half, when they basically settled for the win, they never looked under duress. 

Williamson looked low in confidence, and I think a rest would do him good. Moore surely deserves a start, he tried and did some good today (like he's done in his last three sub appearances) . Hilson had some nice moments. Even when chasing the game, there was some slick moments from Carlo, Hammy's good ball in, Stewart and Moore, but never anyone there to even get a decent strike on target (I remember one from Moore outside the box and that header from Hamilton - that should have done much better with) The worry is the team never really looks like scoring when inside the box, or even getting on the end of a header, making their keeper work!

It is a funny old league though. Alloa are still fighting away, and even just a win and a couple of losses for Arbroath puts us under some pressure but at the same time, we go on another 5-6 unbeaten run and we might end up finishing 5th or 6th, or even the playoffs! 

A very bad day at the office - stream was pish today ; first time I've ever had to say that ; performance lacking , but fair dues to QOTS, a well deserved win and going on that performance - they are the second best team I have seen Arbroath play against this season.

The run had to come to an end sometime I suppose but I hope that result and arse collapse doesn't knock the confidence too much. Blowing a lead like that can have a big effect on how a team approaches other games. I remember in the Allan Moore season 2014/15, we were romping the league and pumping Mo in the New Year game 2-0 then missed a penalty, think it was Linn, Mo then came back and got a 2-2 draw. Barely won a game after that and Mo ended up bottom. Obviously there were other factors which lead to the collapse in form, Moore being the main one, but blowing a good lead in an important game can lead to doubts creeping in. Hopefully just a blip and we certainly shouldn’t fear anyone.