The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:
2 hours ago, ATLIS said:
From what I've seen of Carlo, having watched him quite a bit in our reserve games, he's a pretty nippy CM. Seems to buzz about the park and look for passes - not one that I remember that liked getting stuck into tackles but made up for it for being relatively good on the ball. 

As far as I know his capabilities in defence are limited to LB. He'd probably slot in well anywhere in LWB/LB/CM. Definitely one that our management rate very highly though but maybe a year or two away from breaking into the first team (a bit behind Jack). Interesting step up for him though, done well at Stranraer last year so gets a natural step up to test himself and learn.

Is he left footed then? That would make sense as we only have Colin Hamilton and Doolan who are naturally left footed.

Yeah I'm fairly sure he is

12 hours ago, Hammerafc said:
12 hours ago, ATLIS said:
From what I've seen of Carlo, having watched him quite a bit in our reserve games, he's a pretty nippy CM. Seems to buzz about the park and look for passes - not one that I remember that liked getting stuck into tackles but made up for it for being relatively good on the ball. 

As far as I know his capabilities in defence are limited to LB. He'd probably slot in well anywhere in LWB/LB/CM. Definitely one that our management rate very highly though but maybe a year or two away from breaking into the first team (a bit behind Jack). Interesting step up for him though, done well at Stranraer last year so gets a natural step up to test himself and learn.

Is he left footed then? That would make sense as we only have Colin Hamilton and Doolan who are naturally left footed.

I think with Davidson and now Carlo, I would be surprised if United and Livingston were wanting them to come on loan to warm a bench, that said with league 1 and 2 still being off I suppose there is nowhere else for them to go. Its good we have cover now anyway if that is the plan with these lads, I also think we don't really have a sitting defensive midfielder in the mould of Miko, although things are going well currently,  there may be games where we need someone to sit in front of the back 4 and protect a little. You could say Whatley but i am not sure about him at this level now.

Edited by Smokerson

Neither of these statements are quite accurate though.

Jake Davidson made a really sold debut alongside Ben Williamson away to Queen of the South.  Jake was set to start the next match away to Morton but picked up an injury in the warm up and hasn't recovered from the injury yet, so not even in any of the squads since so certainly not been warming the bench.

Mark had a niggle which needed time to heal, sort itself out just before our pre-season kicked off.  With a late start to the season and not being in a position when we have been winning comfortably to come on as a sub he hasn't had any real match time to get up to speed or match fitness.  He did start in that match away to Queen of the South and was up against one of the fastest and in form strikers in Connor Shields who did leave him trailing in the first half and was subsequently substituted.

Last season in a Championship Team that finished 5th he started 23 out of 26 matches, and came on as a sub in one of the other matches.  I think in his time at Arbroath he has only ever missed a handful of matches due to injury and almost been an ever present.

With only 3 fit outfield substitutes last week surely Carlo's arrival is another option for Dick to call on.  All the players are putting in a hell of a shift right now, especially the midfielders who are chasing every ball in every half, so fresh legs to help dig in will be always welcome.   Carlo seemed to play out wide for BSC Glasgow and grabbed a couple of goals as well.  

You could see just how much 12 minutes of a debut meant to Lewis Moore by his performance on the pitch and his reaction on social media.  I think a lot of young players will be delighted to be involved in a match day squad rather than just waiting for a moment with a Premiership side.

7 hours ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Mark had a niggle which needed time to heal, sort itself out just before our pre-season kicked off.  With a late start to the season and not being in a position when we have been winning comfortably to come on as a sub he hasn't had any real match time to get up to speed or match fitness.  He did start in that match away to Queen of the South and was up against one of the fastest and in form strikers in Connor Shields who did leave him trailing in the first half and was subsequently substituted.

This statement isn't quite accurate though.... :P ..... as if Whatley had been subbed at half time, or even just not put into the right back position, we almost definitely wouldn't have lost the 2 goals we did down that side.... however obviously not his fault he was put in that position.

I think Whatley is finished at this level........ for the next 3 months. I totally agree with the rest of your post, it's not his fault he's had so little game time this season, and in my opinion it's not Dick's fault either.  At any level, but especially part time level, any player who misses pre season ends up so far behind the rest that essentially the team need to carry them for 4-6 weeks to allow them to get game time and get up to speed. As you've said, we've not had the opportunity to do that this year at all, and when he did come into the team he got another wee niggle at the worst possible time. I remember when we signed Gav Swankie back, and he was pretty pish for the first 4/5 games he started and well off the pace as he hadn't been playing.... he wasn't worth his place at that point but keeping him in got him up to full fitness and when that happened it proved more than worthwhile due to the asset he was for the rest of the season. In this league/ position we're in if we tried that with any player to get them up to speed, it'd cost us points and could very easily be the difference between going down/ staying up.

Next season will be an entirely different story - with a full pre season and match fitness at the same level as the rest of the squad, I'd fully expect Whatley to be returning to the fold and at absolute worst be a rotational player..... and I say this as someone who further down the leagues wasn't Whatley's biggest fan, but at this level and over time can clearly see what he brings to the team and as said above we don't have anyone else who is the type of player he is.

10 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

First third of the season 2 draws and a win. Second third of the season 4 wins and 4 draws. What a turnaround. If we could do that again we’d be in the top 4.

Makes it slightly frustrating. Even half as many points in the first 3rd and we would  be in a playoff position now. Can’t complain though, amazing run.

Hats off Lichties, that's one helluva run to be fair.  As Supersouth has said earlier here, the two form teams in the league meet next Saturday - should be decent and hope the weather behaves.

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Hats off Lichties, that's one helluva run to be fair.  As Supersouth has said earlier here, the two form teams in the league meet next Saturday - should be decent and hope the weather behaves.

Been a few blustery days recently. Usually don’t get too many hopefully they’re done for the season now. Early Forecast will be up after midnight 

For a lot of stick that Campbell gets for team selection, tactics and substitutions on a number of Saturdays. (which still may be hovering occasionally) You certainly can't argue at the way he builds a great team spirit and work ethic that pick up the amount of points we have done recently following our poor early start.