The Arbroath Thread

It's only a suspension if they get them in the first 18 games. You've played 17. They're not getting suspended on bookings unless they make it to 12 bookings before match 25. Which would mean getting booked in each of the next 8 fixtures!
You can stop worrying.
They change the rules?

I thought it was 6 bookings then you faced a 1 match ban. And for the next 6 another 1 game ban.

Didnt realise there was a cut period where everyone goes back to zero for the last stage of the season.

3 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

They change the rules?

I thought it was 6 bookings then you faced a 1 match ban. And for the next 6 another 1 game ban.

Didnt realise there was a cut period where everyone goes back to zero for the last stage of the season.

They changed the rules about 4 years ago. Nothing's changed since and it doesn't go back to zero.

6 bookings in the 1st 18 league games = 1 match suspension. However, once you reach 18 games the 6 booking ban disappears.

12 bookings = 2 match ban.

18 bookings = 3 match ban though I don't think anyone's ever successfully got themselves booked 18 times in a season!

They changed the rules about 4 years ago. Nothing's changed since and it doesn't go back to zero.
6 bookings in the 1st 18 league games = 1 match suspension. However, once you reach 18 games the 6 booking ban disappears.
12 bookings = 2 match ban.
18 bookings = 3 match ban though I don't think anyone's ever successfully got themselves booked 18 times in a season!

So in theory a player could get 5 bookings by the 18th game. Then get a further 6 by the 36th game. Yet recieve no ban.

So 11 yellow cards and no ban. Crazy.

14 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

So in theory a player could get 5 bookings by the 18th game. Then get a further 6 by the 36th game. Yet recieve no ban.

So 11 yellow cards and no ban. Crazy.

Yes, that's correct. Whether it's crazy is open to debate. The Player's Union pushed strongly for the fact that picking up a ban for a 6th booking over a whole season was excessive so that's why a cut off was introduced to drop the first ban point. I agree that was fair.

The question then becomes do you start from scratch at that point again and treat the 2nd half of the season as separate with the same rules or do you go cumulative. I'm not sure they've got that right to be honest. As a more extreme example, you could get no bookings in the first 18 games and then 11 in the next 18 and get no ban. I do think that's probably no punishing a trend for bad behaviour enough but I've not seen anything like that happen and generally most people seem pretty happy with the way things are. It's actually pretty difficult to get a suspension for an accumulation of bookings now. You need to average a booking every 3 games and not miss a game through injury at all to get a 1 game ban. Red cards no longer add "points" to a cumulative total and get dealt with on their own. The days of players picking up 2 and 3 match bans on disciplinary points are long gone really.

Does that mean for this season, if you got no bookings in the first 16 games (say you were out injured for most of it) you could get booked in every one of the remaining 11 games and not get banned? Should they not have adjusted the numbers for the shorter season? 
Being booked in 6 out of the first 18 gets a ban, which means you need to not get booked in 13 out of 18 games (72%) to avoid a ban. Whereas if you got booked 5 times in the first 18 games, you only need to not get booked in 3 out of 9 (33%) in the last part of the season.
Edited to fix my sums. Which might still be wrong.

Edited by Flash

29 minutes ago, Flash said:

Does that mean for this season, if you got no bookings in the first 16 games (say you were out injured for most of it) you could get booked in every one of the remaining 11 games and not get banned? Should they not have adjusted the numbers for the shorter season? 
Being booked in 6 out of the first 18 gets a ban, which means you need to not get booked in 13 out of 18 games (72%) to avoid a ban. Whereas if you got booked 5 times in the first 18 games, you only need to not get booked in 3 out of 9 (33%) in the last part of the season.
Edited to fix my sums. Which might still be wrong.

Yes, that's what it means. I imagine in the scheme of things to sort last summer nobody really gave a toss about introducing any special rule to cater for a shorter season in the lower divisions.

So far as I am aware there was no arrangement made to factor back the chances of a ban in the last 9 games. I assume it would have come over my desk if there had been.

Here at TASC we are trying to stay positive and look to the future so here is a question for you Lichties. What are you looking forward to most about your first AWAY game when we are allowed back into grounds? Will you be on the TASC bus? Let us know in the comments [emoji1145]

Welcome Carlo Pignatiello

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Carlo Pignatiello who joins the club on loan from Livingston FC.

With injuries to Gavin Swankie and Luke Donnelly, manager Dick Campbell has taken advantage of the loan transfer window to sign Carlo.

Carlo is 21 years old and played for Rangers and St Mirren at youth level before signing for Livingston.

Carlo has enjoyed loan spells at BSC Glasgow, where he was voted their young player of the season in 2018-2019 before signing for Stranraer on loan in the 2019-2020 season where he made 26 appearances in all competitions and scored a goal against Montrose on the opening day of the season.

Carlo, who can play in midfield or in defence made his Livingston debut in September at Celtic Park and came close to earning his side a draw in their 3-2 defeat just narrowly missing a late chance.

With Jack Hamilton, Carlo’s team mate from Livingston already making a huge impression at Gayfield we look forward to giving Carlo a warm welcome to the team.

Arbroath FC again would like to thank Livingston Manager David Martindale and Livingston FC for allowing Carlos to make the move to Arbroath.

C’mon the Lichties

Carlo Pignatiello-web.jpg

2 hours ago, Gayfield said:

Welcome Carlo Pignatiello

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Carlo Pignatiello who joins the club on loan from Livingston FC.

With injuries to Gavin Swankie and Luke Donnelly, manager Dick Campbell has taken advantage of the loan transfer window to sign Carlo.

Carlo is 21 years old and played for Rangers and St Mirren at youth level before signing for Livingston.

Carlo has enjoyed loan spells at BSC Glasgow, where he was voted their young player of the season in 2018-2019 before signing for Stranraer on loan in the 2019-2020 season where he made 26 appearances in all competitions and scored a goal against Montrose on the opening day of the season.

Carlo, who can play in midfield or in defence made his Livingston debut in September at Celtic Park and came close to earning his side a draw in their 3-2 defeat just narrowly missing a late chance.

With Jack Hamilton, Carlo’s team mate from Livingston already making a huge impression at Gayfield we look forward to giving Carlo a warm welcome to the team.

Arbroath FC again would like to thank Livingston Manager David Martindale and Livingston FC for allowing Carlos to make the move to Arbroath.

C’mon the Lichties

Carlo Pignatiello-web.jpg

Dick’s loan signings have been excellent this season. Hope Carlo keeps this up and us up.

24 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I would imagine he'd be mainly a bench warmer who may get a few minutes here and there.

Agree with this as with everybody fit our defence picks itself and it is really hard to get into our midfield, great players like Gold, Whatley and Stewart had to work really hard to gain a starting place and Stewart has grasped it with getting a chance because of one of our best players Craigen getting suspended.

I would guess the reason Carlo like the young lad on loan from DUFC are here was to gain experience with  being in a 1st team squad and to cover for suspension and injuries and to get run outs in the team if and when required.

Welcome to Gayfield Carlo.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.  

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

Slightly strange to sign what looks like a defensive midfielder to replace an attacking midfielder and striker but I've thought the same before and it's turned out well.

It wouldn’t be Dick if he didn’t make signings that seem strange, but he does seem to know what he’s doing. We are a bit light on strikers though. I reckon Linn, Hilson and Moore could cause some havoc if necessary.

2 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

Slightly strange to sign what looks like a defensive midfielder to replace an attacking midfielder and striker but I've thought the same before and it's turned out well.

From what I've seen of Carlo, having watched him quite a bit in our reserve games, he's a pretty nippy CM. Seems to buzz about the park and look for passes - not one that I remember that liked getting stuck into tackles but made up for it for being relatively good on the ball. 

As far as I know his capabilities in defence are limited to LB. He'd probably slot in well anywhere in LWB/LB/CM. Definitely one that our management rate very highly though but maybe a year or two away from breaking into the first team (a bit behind Jack). Interesting step up for him though, done well at Stranraer last year so gets a natural step up to test himself and learn.

From what I've seen of Carlo, having watched him quite a bit in our reserve games, he's a pretty nippy CM. Seems to buzz about the park and look for passes - not one that I remember that liked getting stuck into tackles but made up for it for being relatively good on the ball. 

As far as I know his capabilities in defence are limited to LB. He'd probably slot in well anywhere in LWB/LB/CM. Definitely one that our management rate very highly though but maybe a year or two away from breaking into the first team (a bit behind Jack). Interesting step up for him though, done well at Stranraer last year so gets a natural step up to test himself and learn.
Is he left footed then? That would make sense as we only have Colin Hamilton and Doolan who are naturally left footed.