The Arbroath Thread

#TuesdayThrowback

Today we are throwing it back 47 years to the 2nd of February 1974 when our Lichties, led by Hall of Famer Albert Henderson shocked the mighty Glasgow Rangers at Ibrox with a thrilling 3-2 victory. John Fletcher was the hero of the day with 2 goals including the 86th minute winner which gave the Lichties their only ever league win at the home of the Glasgow Giants. Arbroath’s other goal scorer that day was Billy Pirie. If you would like to see the highlights from that famous day then click the YouTube link below [emoji1145]

24 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I think the club released something on Facebook saying that the loan window is still open

This isn't even anything new. League 1 and 2 clubs have been able to use the whole of February for additional loans for 2 or 3 years. Although this year that extension has been added for Championship clubs too.

This isn't even anything new. League 1 and 2 clubs have been able to use the whole of February for additional loans for 2 or 3 years. Although this year that extension has been added for Championship clubs too.

So in other words, it is something new.

It looks like we’ve had a good window.

In: A striker who had a great debut and scored. Out: A striker who looked promising but had yet to deliver. In: An attacking/ box to box midfielder who has had 3 excellent games. Out: A midfielder who looked very promising but through injury and covid never got many chances. In: A defender/defensive midfielder for cover who had a good debut. Out: A star defensive midfielder who was having a bit of a dip. In: A winger who... who knows.
Well done Dick.

Decent result and performance last night, although I’m not sure we can draw our way out of 9th place.

One thing troubles me though. Why do Arbroath teams think that the way to play against a strong wind is to hoof it up in the air? Why didn’t we even once try to play it out from the back along the ground? We’re perfectly capable of doing it.

53 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Decent result and performance last night, although I’m not sure we can draw our way out of 9th place.

One thing troubles me though. Why do Arbroath teams think that the way to play against a strong wind is to hoof it up in the air? Why didn’t we even once try to play it out from the back along the ground? We’re perfectly capable of doing it.

Easier said than done. 

28 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Exactly having played a lot of football at the vicky park and a few times at gayfield keeping the ball on the deck is a lot easier said than done

Yes!!!! I’d rather not f**k about to be perfectly honest. If you’re passing it out from the back the other teams already right on top of you on the edge of your own box. Need to go as long as you can and play for second balls. 

Exactly having played a lot of football at the vicky park and a few times at gayfield keeping the ball on the deck is a lot easier said than done

Not every time, necessarily, but they’re professionals and good enough. Two passes and you can be in the opposition half and in possession rather than fighting for a second ball in you own half.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Dale Hilson on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 1-1 draw with Inverness Caledonian Thistle at a wind swept Gayfield last night. Thanks to all who voted [emoji1145]IMG_6049.jpg

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Dale Hilson on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 1-1 draw with Inverness Caledonian Thistle at a wind swept Gayfield last night. Thanks to all who voted [emoji1145]IMG_6049.thumb.jpg.c92419bd784f50f6512777f9ef123169.jpg

Well deserved.

Talking about wind, I switched on too late Wednesday to see if we or ICT had won the toss. Normally do we not usually opt to play into the wind first half, given the option? I certainly prefer this since it allows us to get used to the conditions and to be on the front foot/under less pressure second half. Mind you, except in gales, we often do as well against the breeze since we don’t overrun the forwards so often.

In any case nowadays, with training in Perth, I don’t think we can claim any particular experience of or advantage in windy conditions. Unlike perhaps in decades past when training was held Tuesdays and Thursdays inside and at the back of Gayfield, with a late Sat morning session along Queens Drive.

3 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Talking about wind, I switched on too late Wednesday to see if we or ICT had won the toss. Normally do we not usually opt to play into the wind first half, given the option? I certainly prefer this since it allows us to get used to the conditions and to be on the front foot/under less pressure second half. Mind you, except in gales, we often do as well against the breeze since we don’t overrun the forwards so often.

In any case nowadays, with training in Perth, I don’t think we can claim any particular experience of or advantage in windy conditions. Unlike perhaps in decades past when trading was held Tuesdays and Thursdays inside and at the back of Gayfield, with a late morning session along Queens a drive.

Only problem with going against the wind first half is, if you find yourself a couple of goals down at half time, the opposition can make things very difficult by just sitting in and trying to hold on.

In any case nowadays, with training in Perth, I don’t think we can claim any particular experience of or advantage in windy conditions. Unlike perhaps in decades past when trading was held Tuesdays and Thursdays inside and at the back of Gayfield, with a late morning session along Queens a drive.

I prefer us to play with the wind first half. The pressure is all on the opposition second half if we have a lead. The tendency then is to over hit the passes down wind. A good look at the forecast also helps is the conditions are likely to alter. With many of these games decided by the odd goal, every little advantage helps.

Sad to hear this week that Barrie Mitchell had passed away in January. Some of us older Lichties will remember his fantastic 12 games for us before Dunfermline signed him for £13k in 67, a record for a second division player at the time. He became a major part of their success at home and in Europe. I clearly recall this athletic blonde haired youth tearing through the opposition at Gayfield.
Sad news.