The Arbroath Thread

Exactly that tattie36 we lost Wallace to east fife doris to Forfar both are better than hilson and dollan in my opinion. The reason they weren’t prepared to sit on the bench and watch the likes of spence and Donnelly start ahead of them . The same situation applies to Bobby of course he would go to Montrose or any other club if the deal suited him .

In 2021 Luke Donnelly is a better player than Steven Doris.

3 hours ago, gone fishing said:

Exactly that tattie36 we lost Wallace to east fife doris to Forfar both are better than hilson and dollan in my opinion. The reason they weren’t prepared to sit on the bench and watch the likes of spence and Donnelly start ahead of them . The same situation applies to Bobby of course he would go to Montrose or any other club if the deal suited him .

IF Bobby ever goes to the ENEMY i will eat my hat and he knows the crack that he would loose his hero status at Gayfield by a large majority of Red Lichtie fans myself included.

You maybe do not get loyalty in the top leagues but guys like Bobby who is local knows the score.

Also could not understand the Gaffer's rant about Bobby after the game as imo Bobby was superb when he came on and changed it with McKenna in our favour.   

Where would you rate Swankie in hero status then??
He has won leagues with us but also celebrated when he scored for Forfar against us

IF Bobby ever goes to the ENEMY i will eat my hat and he knows the crack that he would loose his hero status at Gayfield by a large majority of Red Lichtie fans myself included.
You maybe do not get loyalty in the top leagues but guys like Bobby who is local knows the score.
Also could not understand the Gaffer's rant about Bobby after the game as imo Bobby was superb when he came on and changed it with McKenna in our favour.   

Donnelly has been superb this season. I'm still marvelling over that performance against Ayr from him. 

I've not seen enough of Hilson and it's been on streams, but not really a fan. The odd bit of magic comes off now and again, but more often than not he'll lose it or be too ball greedy instead of putting a ball through to someone in a better position or fire a shot wide for a thrown in. 

The QOTS win wasn't great but there's still time and overall - especially the last six gams, we have been playing reasonably well. 

Most likely think it's between us and the Wasps for 9th and 10th although think Queens and Morton might well toil a bit too and be dragged in to it. 

In 2021 Luke Donnelly is a better player than Steven Doris.
At no point has Luke Donnelly been better than Steven Doris. Not even close.

Doris could head and hold up the ball, had a better eye for goal and generally greater influence and work rate in a game.

Even after his injury he was still more of a hard working player than LD could ever hope to achieve.

All LD brings is some fancy flicks and the odd good pass. Nothing else.

A waste of a shirt and never cut out for this level of football. And barely was he good enough for League 1.

At no point has Luke Donnelly been better than Steven Doris. Not even close.

Doris could head and hold up the ball, had a better eye for goal and generally greater influence and work rate in a game.

Even after his injury he was still more of a hard working player than LD could ever hope to achieve.

A waste of a shirt and never cut out for this level of football. And barely was he good enough for League 1.

Please take the rose tinted glasses off, it isn’t 2011 anymore. Steven Doris is, and always will be, an Arbroath legend but he hasn’t been fit enough since he did his ACL in late 2017. I get the sense that you would be happy enough seeing a half fit Doris charge about the pitch, providing no real attacking threat, because he’s “putting in a shift”. Donnelly will never give you that, but he rarely wastes a ball and can pick a better pass than most in our team. It’s absolutely no coincidence that our best performance (and only win!) of the season came with him up front, in a match where he was also voted man of the match. It’s an utterly pointless comparison given Doris will never play again at this level whilst Donnelly probably will, but Donnelly over a full season definitely provides more goals and assists than Doris would. And that’s without him running about as much!

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Cmon now. LD was pretty awful to start off with but he’s been very good for a good while now. If he had pace and a bit more physicality he’d be playing in the Prem, just my opinion.

He's definitely a different kind of player and better now than when he first signed.

Thought you'd disappeared off the face of the earth. Bet a few wish you had. 😅

U on crack? LD is one of our few players that makes a conscious effort to get the ball down & play football & his link up play is superb. Not the finished article but your comments are ludicrous.

If Luke Donnelly was as good as some seem to think he would be a full time footballer, not playing the occasional game or as a substitute at a part time club. 

Another absolute nonsense post. Do you also think that if Tam O’Brien was *that* good he’d be a full time footballer, not playing at a part time club?

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Another absolute nonsense post. Do you also think that if Tam O’Brien was *that* good he’d be a full time footballer, not playing at a part time club?

Don't quite follow your arguement.

I do think that Tom O'Brien is "that" good a footballer and could play full time. I also believe that it is his choice to play at a part time club.

Luke Donnelly, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have that choice between being a full time or part time footballer. After all did any full time club offer him terms when he was available, but he chose to sign for a part time club? I doubt it, so he remains a part time bit player at a part time club.

Don't quite follow your arguement.
I do think that Tom O'Brien is "that" good a footballer and could play full time. I also believe that it is his choice to play at a part time club.
Luke Donnelly, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have that choice between being a full time or part time footballer. After all did any full time club offer him terms when he was available, but he chose to sign for a part time club? I doubt it, so he remains a part time bit player at a part time club.

Aye I’ve worded it horribly [emoji23]

With Donnelly, I think a lot of people put too much weight on his first 6 months at the club when forming their opinion of him. Since then he’s been a good performer for us, even if he doesn’t fit the image of what some people think a striker should be. I certainly think he should be more than a bit part player given his own performances and the performances of those he’s up against.

Q&A with Pink and Mike Caird - Tonight

The virtual Q&A which is being jointly hosted by TASC & Arbroath Football Club will be live tonight with a 7.30pm start. The event will be hosted by Allen Innes and will be available to watch via the TASC Facebook page (link below). We have been inundated with some fantastic questions for both Ian and Mike but there is still time to get your question in. To submit your question simply send a direct message to the page. We hope you can join us for what will be a fun and informative event and as always thank you for your continued support throughout these difficult times [emoji1145]

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3814185851952057/?d=n