The Arbroath Thread

Had a wee look at the stats because I'm a sad c**t with nothing better to do just to see how minutes played/ goal contribution etc. sits this season in terms of our forward players and I think it's roughly as follows:

Donnelly    415 total
Hilson        736 total
Doolan        476 total
Ruth        385 total
Linn        521 total

Donnelly - N/A        Striker 100%
Hilson - N/A        Striker 75%
Doolan - 2 goals        Striker 100%
Ruth - N/A        Striker 50%
Linn - 1 goal, 3 assists    Striker 10%

Done solely for league games as that's the level we play at week in week out. Obviously doesn't take many other things into account in terms of what each player mentioned above offers to the team in other ways, and that's one of the reason these sort of stats are obviously not a clear picture of it, they do paint a picture.

I really do feel one of the reasons we're struggling this year has been that we've chopped and changed things, and haven't allowed the partnerships that have been proven to work previously time to play. LD links up play superbly well, and he seems absolutely ideally suited to playing a second striker role. With LD's link up play, it creates opening for Bobby/ Hilson with the runs they make, and that combination for me is by far and away our best one going forward. Tactically, you can fit that trio into a 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 and a 4-2-3-1 which seem to be the 3 formations we've flicked between this season. I really do feel that should be our base attack wise, with others fitting in depending on the formation. That's not me necessarily having a go at the others, but as a team these 3 are the 3 players who link up and compliment each other most.

It's all well and good having attacking players who are good enough (although we obviously lack another striker) but if they don't link up and compliment each others style of play, it won't work. In my opinion we should be fitting signings around a proven to work base, instead of ripping the base team up in order to see what works with a new signing or two.

I'd also quite like it if we stopped playing Dale Hilson upfront, a position which for me shows off his weaknesses as a player and hinders his strengths. As a winger, I really like Hilson, and he has a superb workrate which means he can play out wide in any formation we play and can easily switch between playing as an attacking winger and a defensive wide midfielder in different stages of the game.

I feel like Dick is stuck in this mindset that all Bobby Linn can offer to the team is beating 3 men and scoring a goal, and if he doesn't do this then he hasn't contributed. If he doesn't score or assist a goal if he plays 90 minutes then he hasn't been good enough seems to be the logic, but one that is only used on Bobby. I can understand how Dick would feel Hilson contributes more overall to the team than Bobby, however quite clearly Bobby Linn is still our biggest attacking threat and is probably one of the only players we have who you could change the team around to accomodate, due to his importance. Blaming an out and out winger for not continuing to overperform and significently outscore our strikers after a few games without a goal just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by SimonLichtie

A very decent performance again. 

Even at 35, Linn is a huge asset to the club, you seen what he did when he came on and with a bit of luck/better foot or finish, he might have scored. I'm not a huge Hilson fan, but he did well later on last night.  I have been impressed with Ruth, but wasn't great yesterday - worked his arse off and wasn't shite by any means ; but I hope he can keep his place in the side and push on. Williamson did well, feisty, good distribution, and well deserved MOTM award. Hopefully as good a loanee as Miko was. 

To state the obvious, needing a win soon though, but there's no denying the team is quite unlucky to be sitting at the foot of the table. Considering the last few results and performances - even the losses ; Hearts was probably always going to be one, but against the Pars, so harsh to lose that. 

I would bet my house on Linn been on the bench for next week, Campbell pretty much said in his interview last night that he is 35 now and is good for 30 mins off the bench, Big Rab said they always give there thoughts on the team but Dick always says no this is what we are going with,
I agree with the fact Linn is getting older and isn't obviously as fit as he was, but then again Doolan must be about the same age? maybe when we are away from home and want to be a bit more defensive he could be used from the bench, but every home game he should start in my opinion, it's a short season and we are already up against it so we should be aiming to get as much points as we can at home, Perhaps he could play up front instead of the wing to save some energy??

Williamson was good last night, Would of been good if we had him and an inform Miko as a midfield combo, I do like Gold but I dont think he is disciplined enough to play in there, Gold, Hilson, Craigen and Stewart are all decent options for the wings, They will all put a shift in at both ends

We all know DC has his favourites.

Regardless of how bad they play they get another chance the next game.

If you are not his favourite you cant have a bad game. Otherwise you are dropped and made an escape goat for a poor team performance.

I dont buy this linn can only get 20 mins. He’s 35 not 55 ffs.
Confident he’s more than capable of playing 60 mins most weeks and coming off the bench in others when he’s feeling the strain.
Good performance last night but still powderpuff up top. I’d be happy with the same 11 to start next game and i’d echo the comments about hilson, not his biggest fan but he was good last night.

Bobby Linn is one of Arbrath's key players - he is fit, skillful, creative and his presence on the park can be a game changer.

He has come on as an early sub for the past 2 games and made an impact straight away - providing assists in both games.

It's possible Dick kept Bobby on the bench to have a greater impact in the 2nd half ( once the opposition start to tire Bobby Linn can put the fear into them ).

Bobby 's contribution has been outstanding - he is a winner and can motivate and inspire players - I think playing Bobby for 90 or 60 mins both work, perhaps depending on the team formation and the opposition we are playing - he is Arbroath's biggest threat.

Another striker is also required for more options upfront - once we sort out this out we will start winning games.

Arbroath are playing really well, strong defence, great midfield and wingers - the strikers we have have been playing well, but we need the option a new striker to link up with what we have to start scoring goals.

I’m pretty sure Dick is trying to get the best from Bobby and not favouring others at his expense. Dick was an admirer of Bob even before he was AFC manager. He is definitely loyal to his players maybe to a fault, but it has certainly paid off for him in his time at Arbroath.

Anyone else worried that we might lose Bobby Linn soon? He’s 35 and must know that his days as a footballer are numbered. He’ll be wanting to play every game at this late stage in his career and an offer from a decent League 1 side and a game every week might tempt him. He’s certainly good enough to still offer a lot at that level, could we see a team like Montrose or East Fife come in for him?

Anyone else worried that we might lose Bobby Linn soon? He’s 35 and must know that his days as a footballer are numbered. He’ll be wanting to play every game at this late stage in his career and an offer from a decent League 1 side and a game every week might tempt him. He’s certainly good enough to still offer a lot at that level, could we see a team like Montrose or East Fife come in for him?

Bobby Linn to Montrose [emoji23] bit early to be absolutely steaming

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Bobby Linn to Montrose emoji23.png bit early to be absolutely steaming

I think it’s you on the drink early if you think that a player like Bobby Linn/any player of his age, and in the twilight of their career wouldn’t go to ANY team that offered them an attractive package and a game every week. Why would he not go to Montrose in particular?  I have no doubt that he would much rather stay at Arbroath but if it’s to sit on the bench week in, week out, then I would fully understand if he was tempted. Do you think part-time Scottish footballers have some kind of misty-eyed undying loyalty to certain teams? It’s nae a film FFS.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Ben Williamson on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 1-1 draw with Dundee at Gayfield last night. The on loan Rangers midfielder put in a wonderful performance in the heart of the Lichties midfield and was also awarded the BBC Scotland man of the match by Billy Dodds. Thanks to all who voted [emoji1145]

IMG_5976.jpg

I think it’s you on the drink early if you think that a player like Bobby Linn/any player of his age, and in the twilight of their career wouldn’t go to ANY team that offered them an attractive package and a game every week. Why would he not go to Montrose in particular?  I have no doubt that he would much rather stay at Arbroath but if it’s to sit on the bench week in, week out, then I would fully understand if he was tempted. Do you think part-time Scottish footballers have some kind of misty-eyed undying loyalty to certain teams? It’s nae a film FFS.

Well if we just ignore that he’s signed up until his testimonial year, I still think there’s 0 chance of him signing for Montrose.

Exactly that tattie36 we lost Wallace to east fife doris to Forfar both are better than hilson and dollan in my opinion. The reason they weren’t prepared to sit on the bench and watch the likes of spence and Donnelly start ahead of them . The same situation applies to Bobby of course he would go to Montrose or any other club if the deal suited him .