The Arbroath Thread

Linn started most games last season and played really well . And yes I would surely everybody and his dog yesterday saw he should of been on . But no Dolan I rest my case

Yes, Doolan has been poor. But he’s not getting a starting place. Bobby on as a sub instead of Doolan I agree.

At this level it is fine margins and i do not care what anybody says but if i am a supporter of the any full time club in this league then in reality those clubs should beat the part time teams in this league and i would be peed-off if the Red Lichties or Alloa beat my team (or then what is the point in being full time?), after last seasons superb season it was always going to be harder this season as clubs will show us more respect/done their homework better plus a shorter season, in EVERY game this season we have matched the opposition for at least 75/80 minutes and never been hammered and the majority of games have been 1 goal defeats/draws so we are doing great from that point of view (i.e. competing) but just need to be more clinical or getting a rub of the green, bare in mind Dunfermline came back from 3-0 down at Dens Park last week to get a 3-3 draw which their confidence would have been on a high and classed that as a victory, they also humped Hearts a few weeks ago so to unluckily get beaten on their turf with a 91 minute winner is a hard pill to swallow but we competed against them, we need like a Wighton to bury the chances we create but the game last week against Ayr Utd proved with 2 through the middle and midfield supporting we can create chances and if we had got a draw today that would have been seen as an excellent result, imo we are in a "mini-league" with QOTS/Alloa/Morton (as i would say QOTS and Morton are the 2 poorest full  time teams in this league i have seen this season) and any result out with those teams are a bonus, i also agree with others if i was looking for a goal and Bobby Linn was on the bench then i would be bringing him on as he is fast and direct and has proved year after year that he can score goals, onwards and upwards lads C'Mon the Red Lichties 36-0.

In regards Kris Doolan i for one am not one of those fans who are having a go at him, it does not matter if we had the best striker in the UK playing for us if you DO NOT create chances then you WILL NOT score = simples.

Up to the last 2 games when we have changed to formation/tactics we seem to be creating some chances but apart from only playing for 10 minutes in each last 2 games it is not like Doolan is missing chances is it?

The problem is Doolan is a "penalty box" striker so you need to get chances in the box for him and this is something (apart from the last 2 games when he has not started) that we have not been doing in the other games.

He is an experienced striker and knows where the net is but he needs ammo, he does not have the legs now like a younger Steve Doris that is why in yesterdays game Bobby Linn might have been the better option as he is fast and direct.

As has been mentioned that was why getting Craig Wighton last season was a master stroke as although he only played 5 games because of the Covid lockdown he helped us get 6 precious points with his 3 goals.

I will tell you who i think would be a great signing (although i cannot see it happening) would be Nathan Austin from Kelty Hearts, his scoring record in senior football including playing in the Championship was good and he is playing in the Lowland League for personal reasons and no doubt on good wages and scoring goals in a league which is too easy for him, even if we got him on loan for the remainder of the season (so he is still a Kelty player) that way he could test himself again playing in a lot higher league where i am sure he could still score goals and he is still only 26 years old so should still be fit and fast.    

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

I thought Doolan was excellent against Hearts in a game where we were getting crosses into the box and but for 2 great saves from Gordon (one being a world class save) then Doolan would have scored.

Everybody has their own opinions some folk do not rate Donnelly (I do) in fact there is no player at AFC who i would get rid of but i would add another striker in January regardless if it is on loan or a permanent signing but it has to be better than what we have.

I hear great things about Smith in training but he never gets a chance but again in regards yesterdays game was Dick happy going for the point in regards his subs or if we had went down 1-0 to the Pars with 15 minutes to go then would he have brought on Bobby or/and Smith? 

Think the actual result will be clouding some judgement among us but I think it was the correct call not to be bringing Linn on in such a tight game where being really disciplined as a unit was so important and actually working, the fact we didn’t see the game out doesn’t really change my opinion on that one.

On a side note, our set pieces must easily be the worst in this league, our delivery is consistently dire now.

On 27/12/2020 at 18:48, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

In regards Kris Doolan i for one am not one of those fans who are having a go at him, it does not matter if we had the best striker in the UK playing for us if you DO NOT create chances then you WILL NOT score = simples.

Up to the last 2 games when we have changed to formation/tactics we seem to be creating some chances but apart from only playing for 10 minutes in each last 2 games it is not like Doolan is missing chances is it?

The problem is Doolan is a "penalty box" striker so you need to get chances in the box for him and this is something (apart from the last 2 games when he has not started) that we have not been doing in the other games.

He is an experienced striker and knows where the net is but he needs ammo, he does not have the legs now like a younger Steve Doris that is why in yesterdays game Bobby Linn might have been the better option as he is fast and direct.

As has been mentioned that was why getting Craig Wighton last season was a master stroke as although he only played 5 games because of the Covid lockdown he helped us get 6 precious points with his 3 goals.

I will tell you who i think would be a great signing (although i cannot see it happening) would be Nathan Austin from Kelty Hearts, his scoring record in senior football including playing in the Championship was good and he is playing in the Lowland League for personal reasons and no doubt on good wages and scoring goals in a league which is too easy for him, even if we got him on loan for the remainder of the season (so he is still a Kelty player) that way he could test himself again playing in a lot higher league where i am sure he could still score goals and he is still only 26 years old so should still be fit and fast.    

Doolan looks the classic, " good lad, ", "good in the dressing room" type, when what we actually require, is a b*****d, who can take a chance, when it comes

Tonight was a free hit. Our goal now is to keep it to 3 so the goal difference doesn’t take a massive hit
Unless the team has been vastly depleted due to injuries/suspensions etc. No game should be seen as a free hit.

We are playing pish.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - VOTE

It was always going to be a difficult task for our Lichties at Tynecastle tonight against the heavy title favourites but the lads put in a brave and battling performance in the 3-1 defeat. Who deserves your vote for the TASC Social Media Man of the Match? To vote pop over to the Facebook or Twitter pages. Voting closes tomorrow at 5pm.

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3741888412515135/?d=n