The Arbroath Thread

I can't remember Hilson missing a sitter, when was that?

He had a great chance when the ball fell to him at around the penalty spot and he dragged it wide. Stewart also should have scored late on

Edit: no idea why autocorrect changed that to Egnogg. Don’t think Iv ever used the word FFS

While it's absolutely no comparison to the feeling of being there, I am pretty bloody delighted we won yesterday, as I'm sure we all are! I felt Luke Donnelly made a massive difference, and his link up play was excellent as always. A side from the obvious result, one of the big things I took from yesterday was the commitment and drive throughout the team. You could really see how much it meant to get the result, and it's great to see the team have that fight and determination in them when we're on our first proper difficult run under Dick.

Off the pitch, things look extremely positive in a whole variety of ways. The supporters wall has been mentioned a lot obviously, but it absolutely amazes me that we've sold 1000 odd bricks for it. Frankly I think that's an outstanding achievement for a club of our size, and shows the potential we have as a football club. The government grant is also superb news, although don't be fooled into thinking we're simply getting 500k put into our bank account to spend at will, obviously the grant comes with various stipulations attached, but it means any big worries financially about how much this season will effect us are now taken away also.

Good to finally have a week or so of positive stuff on and off the park football wise :) It's also worth mentioning that a lot of away fans are now commenting that they feel our stream is one of the best in the division, which is great to hear. It makes little difference to myself in all honesty, a stream is a stream, but it really is good to see the club acting to sort out the shitshow situation with Pixellot and now producing a much more professional service. I know a lot of people are far happier with the service/ quality in recent weeks (apart from obviously missing a goal yesterday covering it with a replay... no excuses for that I'm afraid) and hopefully that's the end of any streaming issues for this season.

I'm not sure how I forgot about that, great chance. We really could have scored about 5.

Yea which is very positive. In previous games we haven’t even looked like getting shots on target, never mind scoring. I’m still utterly astonished we weren’t awarded a penalty on injury time as well. At least Dick didn’t storm the park like at Somerset

Great performance yesterday from the whole team in tough conditions. Hard to single out anyone but i agree donnelly made a massive difference with his hold up play.

Tough run of games coming up but hopefully that win will boost our confidence.

Off the park its good to hear the club got a government grant which should tidy them over for a while, the supporters wall is looking great and another great stream by arbroath tv. [emoji122]

A brilliant performance, best I've seen Arbroath all season.

The stream was brilliant and enjoyed the commentary, both obviously fans and kent their stuff plus the odd joke , and very respectful to the Honest Men.

Couldn't really fault anyone in a maroon shirt. O'Brien was back to last season's form and crunching tackles, winning every header, and just wish he had a crack when he ran those 50 yards ; Hilson - I've not rated him too much this year, but yesterday was an outstanding performance and well done, he worked hard and some neat touches, touches and was dangerous ; but for cool hand Luke, what a game. He ran his heart out, great linkup play with Hilson and McKenna. Some big tackles too, and he got back at times, for what he lacks in natural ability he makes up in his work rate and application, if he could score more goals, he really would be a striker wanted by everyone.

Miko is such an asset as well. Bossed his role, and again, huge and vital tackles, can do both the defensive midfielder role and can spot a pass forward too. He'll surely go on to play for Aberdeen next year. Just an honour being able to have him at Arbroath and watching him. He had been a wee bity off the boil last few weeks, but heard him say he had been injured with Finland U21s, so hopefully he can push on.

There's no denying it, a win yesterday was huge. Keep themselves in the hunt to stay up, especially with two very difficult games coming up - Pars (a) and Hertz (a)  then again, if they put that type of performance in then who well knows, then that Caley game at home, if we get 0-1 pts from the next 2 games, is another massive game. A fine repeat of the 3-0 and performance to boot would be fantastic.

And fair dues to the Ayr fans on here, thought the commentary was good too - obviously very pro Arbroath, but respectful to opponents. The replay, missing the goal was the only low point of the streaming, but if you compare yesterday to the early ball-following camera SPFL stuff, it was well worth the £!2. 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Luke Donnelly on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 2-1 victory over Ayr United at Gayfield yesterday. LD just edged out 2 goal hero James Craigen by 2 votes with a first class performance where he was a constant threat to the Ayr back line. Though the big striker secured this weeks accolade it’s fair to say that any player who wore the maroon shirt yesterday would have deserved the award. Thanks to all who voted

I met Dickand his brother the next season atAuchinleck in the cup, I jokingly said mind and keep off the park when your in Ayrshire, he laughed loudly then quipped it was a penalty though, and I said a stone Waller, I said to him I still just breakout in laughter when that comes into my thoughts, he took it in good spirit, gem of a guy.

Hopefully DC plays a similar formation/tactics as he done against Ayr United on Saturday going forward.

It is all about "horses for courses" and although we have the majority of the squad from last season the formation/tactics were simply not working so he had to change it (it was not rocket science).

I was one of a few other fans who asked to play 2 up top (or 2 through the middle) which i am glad to say it looked like he done and i was also one of a "few" who had Craigen in my starting XI again i am glad he done this as i think he is a great all round player and Saturday proved he can take a goal as well.

Must admit i would have had Bobby starting against Ayr as i was shocked DC subbed him against Alloa as i felt he was our most dangerous player but fair play to DC he picked Hilson ahead of Bobby and Hilson put in a great performance.

I prefer 2 through the middle up front and 1 out wide as opposed to 2 wide men and 1 in the middle as i feel you get more bodies in the box "mixing" it up, we have some great wide players Bobby/Hilson/Ruth/Stewart to name a few and that is great playing that way if you have a lone striker like Wighton who would bury 2 half chances out of 4 or 5 but we do not have a striker like him.  

We have a really good squad, just look at Swanks and Smith not getting much game time and Whatts sadly getting injured again after his great comeback game and Donnelly taken his chance on Saturday with Ruth and Doolan champing at the bit.

Lets hope that is us getting the monkey off our back and getting a few more points on board, some really hard games coming up i just wish we had maybe changed to Saturday's formation a few weeks ago at the recent QOTS/Morton/Alloa home games and probably would have had a couple of more points on board. 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH VOTE

It’s heartbreak at East End Park as an injury time goal gives Dunfermline an undeserved victory over our brave Lichties this afternoon. Who deserves your vote for the TASC Social Media Man of the Match? Pop over to the Facebook page or Twitter to place your vote

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3733522640018379/?d=n

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH VOTE

It’s heartbreak at East End Park as an injury time goal gives Dunfermline an undeserved victory over our brave Lichties this afternoon. Who deserves your vote for the TASC Social Media Man of the Match? Pop over to the Facebook page or Twitter to place your vote

[/url]

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3733522640018379/?d=n

Bobby linn

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to James Craigen on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties heartbreaking 1-0 defeat to Dunfermline Athletic at East End Park yesterday. The English midfielder narrowly missed out on the award last week but his impressive midfield performance yesterday has done enough to secure the Boxing Day award. Thanks to all who voted [emoji1145]