The Arbroath Thread

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Bobby Linn on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties disappointing 1-0 defeat to Alloa yesterday. The wizard of the wing was substituted after 63 minutes but had done enough in that time to impress the Lichties faithful and get enough votes to win his 2nd man of the match award of the season. Thanks to all who voted [emoji1145]

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3700309523339691/?d=n

Bobby played very well. Like most fans I was mystified as to why he was subbed. However, he, Hilson and Doolan don’t seem to link up to create danger. Hilson had his moments after Bobby went off, but it always seems to be one man runs and no combinations up front.

I thought Bobby was ok, definitely the best of our forward thinking players but he still hasn't performed at all this season so far.

I would go as far as saying I think Gaston, Thomson and Little have been our only consistent performers this season, the rest have all been poor, there is an argument to say that the chopping and changing hasn't helped but this is worrying that we have had so many performing below the levels they set themselves last season. They need to get the finger out from now on and the only positive is that we have been in every game so far so we don't really need all that much as the opposition are average at best from what I have seen. 

My worry is that we have played 3 home games against the sides who will be in the relegation battle (Alloa, QOS & Morton) and only have 2 points from it. And if I’m honest I think we have only played 1 decent half of football in that time which was the 2nd half against Queens. Saturday was a game we should be winning, a game I thought we were going to win but ultimately a game we never looked like winning.

On 13/12/2020 at 12:28, Lichtie78 said:

Doolan rivals Greig Spence in the “do absolutely nothing” stakes

Not sure why this is a surprise. Doolan was done before he left Thistle. You are the 3rd club since then to think they might be able to wring a last performance or two out of him.

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Supporters wall is looking fantastic

Fantastic isn’t it, looks really smart 😃🇱🇻⚽Were you able to spot your brick, I haven’t seen my family one yet or my grandads memory one 

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

My worry is that we have played 3 home games against the sides who will be in the relegation battle (Alloa, QOS & Morton) and only have 2 points from it. And if I’m honest I think we have only played 1 decent half of football in that time which was the 2nd half against Queens. Saturday was a game we should be winning, a game I thought we were going to win but ultimately a game we never looked like winning.

It's not just the points, it's the only 1 goal scored, we were never going to create many chances, but we need to convert some of the chances we create, just thinking back, this season has the feel of John McLashans last campaign, where we done well the season before and we maybe thought we are a bit better, than we actually are

Big Rab to play as lone striker. Can do no worse. :P

Seriously, if we could replicate the performance and chances created like the game v Hearts, at some point with law of averages, those chances should start going in. Still think that game was the best we've played this season so far.

I see a lot of discussion regarding the need for 2 up top/ to be more attacking etc. but I'd simply ask which of the following is more attack minded?

4-5-1

Hilson Gold Virtanen Smith Linn

1 of several up top

OR

Stewart Whatley Virtanen Linn

Ruth Doolan or whoever

I'd say the 4-5-1 was more attacking with the players on the pitch in those roles than the 4-4-2. It doesn't just come down to formation in terms of how 'attacking' a team set up. If we play a 4-4-2, we simply can't play with 2 wingers without 3 in the middle of the park. Essentially, in order to play a 4-4-2 I think we'd be far more defensive as we'd nullify our best attacking threats - down the wings - and end up having 2 boys up top with no-one within 30 yards of them. It would be that or we'd get absolutely destroyed in the midfield playing with wingers and it'd be a completely wide open game. We simply don't have the goals in us to go for it that way and try to outscore a team in a game with 3/ 4+ goals in it.

Ultimately there's much, much more to it than 4-5-1 = defensive, 4-4-2 = more attacking. My ultimate feeling is we have to either play 4-5-1 with wingers, or 4-4-2 with more defensive minded wide players in the midfield, and by doing that we nullify our best qualities going forward, and I don't think we have the players to play that kind of defensive 4-4-2.

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I see a lot of discussion regarding the need for 2 up top/ to be more attacking etc. but I'd simply ask which of the following is more attack minded?

4-5-1

Hilson Gold Virtanen Smith Linn

1 of several up top

OR

Stewart Whatley Virtanen Linn

Ruth Doolan or whoever

I'd say the 4-5-1 was more attacking with the players on the pitch in those roles than the 4-4-2. It doesn't just come down to formation in terms of how 'attacking' a team set up. If we play a 4-4-2, we simply can't play with 2 wingers without 3 in the middle of the park. Essentially, in order to play a 4-4-2 I think we'd be far more defensive as we'd nullify our best attacking threats - down the wings - and end up having 2 boys up top with no-one within 30 yards of them. It would be that or we'd get absolutely destroyed in the midfield playing with wingers and it'd be a completely wide open game. We simply don't have the goals in us to go for it that way and try to outscore a team in a game with 3/ 4+ goals in it.

Ultimately there's much, much more to it than 4-5-1 = defensive, 4-4-2 = more attacking. My ultimate feeling is we have to either play 4-5-1 with wingers, or 4-4-2 with more defensive minded wide players in the midfield, and by doing that we nullify our best qualities going forward, and I don't think we have the players to play that kind of defensive 4-4-2.

Simon mind the last time we went 4-4-2 against Ayr 🙈🙈🙈 3-0 down after 20 mins, I always feel more comfortable with the 4-5-1 in the championship

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - VOTE

It’s been a long time coming but finally our Lichties have their first 3 points of the season after an impressive 2-1 victory over Ayr United this afternoon. Who deserves your vote for Man of the Match? To vote go to the Facebook or Twitter page and comment. Voting closes tomorrow at 5pm with results announced at 5.30 [emoji1145]

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3715782858459024/?d=n

Greatly buoyed the performance and result today. Also just learned about the financial support package to football clubs from the Scottish Govt. £5 million equally shared among the Championship clubs. I’m sure that will have a disproportionate benefit for smaller clubs like Arbroath

31 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Greatly buoyed the performance and result today. Also just learned about the financial support package to football clubs from the Scottish Govt. £5 million equally shared among the Championship clubs. I’m sure that will have a disproportionate benefit for smaller clubs like Arbroath

It's terrific news for us and Alloa