The Arbroath Thread

[emoji441] FERMERS BEST LINE [emoji441]

After TASC Chairman Allen “The Fermer” Innes’s unforgettable debut on the mic yesterday we are having a vote to see what your favourite Fermer quote was from the 90 minutes. We have picked 4 to choose from. To vote reply to this post. Voting will close tonight (29th November) at 8pm with the winning line announced tomorrow morning

Your options

A - “He went doon like a coo for the nicht”

B - “I thought Maradona was deed”

C - “He looks like he has pulled the best looking broad at the disco”

D - “There’s a lot that can be done in 3 minutes”

Vote away !!!!!!

It was a pretty good game,  the coverage was excellent so well done to all involved for that. We started slowly but after we got in front we were good, we started the second half well and probably should have put one of our chances away to make it 3-0 and kill the game. Credit to Arbroath though, they kept at it and started to cause problems down the flanks, got a goal and then after that it was a much tighter contest. I also thought the penalty was very soft, I would need to see it again, but from memory, the defender was pretty close to Dow who blasted the ball off his hand - for me that's not a penalty (even if perhaps the new rules suggest otherwise). Overall I think 3-1 was about right.

I guess its difficult for Arbroath, expectations only go up, and 5th last season was a great effort. I am sure if you get a result, more will follow, hopefully on Saturday!

As has been mentioned, the camera etc. was miles better yesterday, and It's great to see the club acknowledged the Pixellot camera wasn't up to standard and the service offered yesterday was well worth the money anyone paid for it. Excellent stuff :)

In terms of the game itself - we were punished for lapses in concentration at the back and not getting tight enough to Dunfermline at times, especially in the first half. The changes at half time made a significent difference and a lot of positive signs yesterday, but ultimately we lost the game. We really need to take some points in the league in the next few weeks, especially the Alloa game at home. I think the middle of the park is where we've struggled in the past few weeks, and I think when we're able to go Miko/ Whatley in there with Swankie/ Gold/ Craigen infront of them, it'll make a big difference. We're really lacking in positional awareness in the middle of the park at the moment in my opinion.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to James Craigen on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 3-1 defeat to Dunfermline Athletic in the Betfred Cup yesterday. James (who signed permanently for the club in the summer) has been the perfect utility man for the club covering many positions already this season. Yesterday his performance in the heart of the midfield was enough to deservedly win this weeks award. Thanks to all who voted [emoji1145]

Agree with James Craigen being voted M.O.M. as he was excellent yesterday and but for a great save would have scored an great goal.

Also agree which someone else highlighted i wish we would shoot more as a lot of the time when we have an opening to have a shot we tend to take the easy option and pass the ball wide.

Again our corner-kicks was poor and it is annoying when we cannot get it past the first man in the box, we have had countless corner-kicks this season and i cannot remember an opposing keeper making a save from one.

Apart from that i do think we are playing well enough as we know this season is going to be harder than last season and we need to start scoring more goals.

C'MON THE RED LICHTIES 36-0. 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH

Unfortunately it wasn’t to be for our Lichties this afternoon as we suffer a disappointing defeat at Dens Park. Who deserves your vote for your man of the match? To vote visit our Facebook or Twitter page. Voting closes tomorrow at 5pm with the result announced at 5.30pm

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3679619702075340/?d=n

Posted this on the match thread.

As much as I like Campbell and think that he's done a great job at Arbroath, his one big weakness has been finding goalscorers. Look at who he's signed Spence, Donnelly, Doolan, Doris, Wallace - all either past it or just simply not good enough. Wighton was great but was never going to be a long term solution. The amount of chances we create and, aside from Raith, the closeness of the games, we could be sitting top half by now but only 2 goals in 6 games is a grim statistic. I know, I know... if my auntie had balls.

3 points next week or we're in the sh1t - starting to think 9th is as good as we're going to get but wouldn't fancy our chances against Cove or Falkirk.

In a sick type of way i am hoping Wighton is a flop at Hearts so we could maybe get him on loan again as even if we have to pay Hearts a £Grand a week for his services it could be money well spent if his goals gain us a point or even 3 points to keep us in the league next season, on the other hand with Hearts in the same league as us now they would maybe not loan him out to a rival team.

Until then i honestly would change it to 2 up top with Doolan as the main striker with either Ruth/Hilson/Swanks playing off of him with Bobby wide. 

1 hour ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

In a sick type of way i am hoping Wighton is a flop at Hearts so we could maybe get him on loan again as even if we have to pay Hearts a £Grand a week for his services it could be money well spent if his goals gain us a point or even 3 points to keep us in the league next season, on the other hand with Hearts in the same league as us now they would maybe not loan him out to a rival team.

Until then i honestly would change it to 2 up top with Doolan as the main striker with either Ruth/Hilson/Swanks playing off of him with Bobby wide. 

Last season before Wighton came in I though we looked most dangerous when Stewart played central in the advanced role behind Donnelly. 

Actually think we are missing Whatley in the centre, goals were always going to be a struggle and with injures it means our line up is really unsettled this season for the wrong reasons.

Still think we have enough about us to finish at least 8th.  

With the shorter season and us struggling to score goals it looks like we are in a dog fight with Alloa and Queens and maybe Morton at the bottom.

I think we still create chances but are just struggling to put them away hence i still think DC has to now play 2 up front with Doolan being the main  striker but he needs help and he should concentrate being in and about the penalty area but when he gets no help he is having to come looking for the ball and the amount of times we see crosses going in the box and no AFC player there is frustrating.

Still think we have good players and am confident in our squad but i do think DC has to change our approach to try and get goals and points on the board as at the moment we do not have a Wighton type striker who would sneak us 1-0 or 2-1 victories.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.