The Arbroath Thread

Just have to forget about today and move on, have always felt we needed defensive cover but can understand it's hard to have someone willing to just sit on the bench, but after today it shows we need cover and competition,
Still dont understand why we changed to 4-4-2 today too,

Just have to forget about today and move on, have always felt we needed defensive cover but can understand it's hard to have someone willing to just sit on the bench, but after today it shows we need cover and competition,
Still dont understand why we changed to 4-4-2 today too,

I imagine Dick wanted to have a go today and the Donnelly Hilson combo looked promising on Tuesday. It kind of worked for 20 minutes.

Agree about the lack of cover at the back. Last season we were incredibly lucky with injuries and kept a settled defence.
Hearts on Friday will be a big test.

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t think you can appeal a yellow, only a straight red. I may be wrong tho

I believe appeal of a yellow is limited to mistaken identity or diving, but I’m not certain.

47 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I imagine Dick wanted to have a go today and the Donnelly Hilson combo looked promising on Tuesday. It kind of worked for 20 minutes.

For the first 15 minutes or so, the ball was generally in the middle or at the Raith end and Arbroath looks the better team. Once we started getting some runs at your backline, it all kinda went south for you. It seemed your coach wanted a physical game, but once we elected to try running the outside channels and pressing the backs, he didn’t seem to adjust, and there was very little pushback. You very unlucky not to start out up 0-1.

No disrespect to Craigen , but today confirmed what I said on Tuesday night , he is not a full back , I know he played there for Dunfermline , but not good enough , even when moved forward in second half contributed nothing resulting in him being taken off , some people on here saying he is class , well I have yet to see it. Don't understand why Dick would start with the back 4 that lost the 2 goals to Ross County . Hopefully just a bad day for us , but gonna be hard to get anything from the Hearts game .For me if we lose a defender for any reason the first and best player test step in is Goldie , never let's is down .

I was under the impression that for a handball offence the player's arm had to be in an "unnatural" position when the ball made contact. Obviously that wasn't the case when Tom O'Brien was given a second yellow card, his arms were tucked into his body and there was no way he deliberately attempted to play the ball with his arm. The decision was utterly ridiculous. Some little justice done when the penalty was saved.

Overall Raith were the better team and after seeing Hearts demolish Dundee on Friday night, we will need a huge improvement for this Friday.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

More pissed off at the fact I’m not really bothered about yesterday. Normally I’d be raging at us getting pumped but yesterday I just turned the laptop off and got on with my day. No fans is killing the game in this country and I don’t care what the “R number” or whatever is. I’m an absolute football tragic but can see myself losing interest very quickly

I’m struggling to take any positives from yesterday. Gaston saving a penalty might boost his confidence a bit and Gav looked assured again but that’s it! We were a mess at the back throughout and the big Raith striker had his way with Ricky and TOB.

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

More pissed off at the fact I’m not really bothered about yesterday. Normally I’d be raging at us getting pumped but yesterday I just turned the laptop off and got on with my day. No fans is killing the game in this country and I don’t care what the “R number” or whatever is. I’m an absolute football tragic but can see myself losing interest very quickly

I don't understand this at all - I thought the football was BACK and everyone should be delighted? :unsure: :rolleyes: 

We have an entire season of this folks. Football without fans is utterly pointless, especially at our level. Clubs paying tens of thousands of pounds to play games of football that, sooner or later, the majority of people will just not care about. An utterly pointless exercise from both a business point of view and an entertainment point of view. It's football, but without the emotion, without the social side, without the day out and absolutely no 'feeling' involved.

Game wise - in terms of how well or badly people play, this year I honestly feel its verging on impossible to comment on that. There's so many elements to a game that can't be fully seen and therefore I find it impossible to properly comment on someones performance. It almost streamlines the game for me, like a primary school tunnel vision version of it, where the ball is the only thing that matters... there's so much more to the game on the pitch than that, which can't be seen.

11 hours ago, Mexico said:

Saturday had last seasons 3-0 Ayr game feel to it, hopefully it’s just a one off.

Was thinking the same mate, anytime we play 4-4-2 it goes to shite lol, We were 3-0 down at half time also and the second half was all about damage limitation. We will bounce back just like that game, just a blip and a bad day at the office for me, Like i said before we badly missed Hammy Whatley and Goldy for that type of game. Funny thing is though we could and probably should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored so you just never know but both penalty’s and the sending off is a total farce.

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

On 17/10/2020 at 19:31, lichtie23 said:

I don’t think you can appeal a yellow, only a straight red. I may be wrong tho

Only for a straight red unfortunately for you guys , On a side issue do you not think you guys will really struggle if your hit by injuries/ suspension as looking at your squad it looks very thin on numbers

Only for a straight red unfortunately for you guys , On a side issue do you not think you guys will really struggle if your hit by injuries/ suspension as looking at your squad it looks very thin on numbers

Only thin when it comes to defenders. Everywhere else is fine