The Arbroath Thread

Edinburgh Evening News reporting we are loaning you Connor Smith for the season.  He looks a very good prospect from what I've seen, very intelligent and although obviously at a much lower level, the Cowdenbeath fans loved him when on loan last season.  I was hoping he'd get a shot at the first team for us but regular Championship football will serve him better than being understudy to Naismith and Walker as game time will be limited.

Edinburgh Evening News reporting we are loaning you Connor Smith for the season.  He looks a very good prospect from what I've seen, very intelligent and although obviously at a much lower level, the Cowdenbeath fans loved him when on loan last season.  I was hoping he'd get a shot at the first team for us but regular Championship football will serve him better than being understudy to Naismith and Walker as game time will be limited.

Midfielder is he?

2 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I saw the club complained of losing potentially big pay per view revenues. Do we get a one off payment from the BBC for this match?

I believe it's simply within the contractual agreement with the BBC - the money from the deal is split between clubs and if you have to have your game move you take a hit.

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me we've gone from expecting £35,000+ income from this as a home fixture in normal circumstances, down to £0. Our biggest, scheduled, earning game of the season has turned into the game we'll probably lose the most money on in the league. I don't mean 'lose the most amount of money' in terms of a severe decrease in expected income, I mean in terms of us losing thousands of pounds by simply playing the match...... 

In a sense it's not as 'bad' as the Ross County League Cup game. Full COVID testing requiring paid for, from what I've read the players must not travel to the game in mixed households (so that's 16+ cars heading up the A9 requiring fuel paid for), the usual contractual bonuses in place for the players and the club might even decide to fork out a few quid to enable to the players to have a shower somewhere, considering they aren't allowed to do so at the ground and sending the players on a 3/4 hour solo drive home is not the best to put it mildly. I am somewhat skeptical that the amount of money made and split from a stream of this game will do little to help cover costs.

I'd also be very wary of a new camera system built on the whim of a Celtic fan bizarrely proclaiming how he wants to help Albion Rovers out in this difficult time etc etc, and his way of doing that is to use them to get himself PR/ gain traction for his business idea. The reality of the system is that it is a business, and the aim is for Pixellot to make money from Scottish football by streaming games and taking a cut of it. It has nothing to do with 'helping out' or being a 'saviour' or any shite like this. It is a businessman taking advantage of a business opportunity. Have you seen how frustrated/ annoyed people get when cameramen miss key moments in games for the highlights package, and people are annoyed because they wanted to see them again? Imagine that's a competitive match being streamed and oh, it's cut out, oh it's back but the camera's looking at the wrong part of the pitch, oh I hear some cheering but I'm not sure if something's happened off camera, or if it's just synced badly and that's from 10 seconds ago, or 10 seconds in the future etc etc. Doesn't matter, the whole things just frozen again anyway :rolleyes: 

Essentially we (Scottish football) are in a very difficult position, but we've decided to go ahead with things. In my opinion this means that all SPFL clubs have to accept losing the majority of their income, having additional expenses to pay, and being pretty much fully reliant (ourselves, L1 and L2 clubs especially) on a camera system that none of us have ever used, to be completely successful and allow all of our fans to watch every competitive game this season. with no issues..... or else we're just paying thousands of pounds to play games of football that no-one is able to see.

Simon, as always I agree with most of your points, but Mark Millar didn't invent or has nothing to do with Pixellot.   I'm pretty sure all he has done has just bought the camera system for Albion Rovers to use to stream their games. 

https://www.pixellot.tv/about-us/team/

I am sure LeodhasXD and Skyline Drifter have both mentioned in the thread about streaming matches that Pixellot cameras were meant to be installed last season at all Championship clubs by the SPFL  but the Pandemic stopped that.   I believe that League 1 and League 2 have to invest in the system themselves, so Mark Millar had donated the camera Albion Rovers which was then picked up by the mainstream media as a nice local boy comes back from Hollywood type of story that everyone loves!

Simon, as always I agree with most of your points, but Mark Millar didn't invent or has nothing to do with Pixellot.   I'm pretty sure all he has done has just bought the camera system for Albion Rovers to use to stream their games. 
I am sure LeodhasXD and Skyline Drifter have both mentioned in the thread about streaming matches that Pixellot cameras were meant to be installed last season at all Championship clubs by the SPFL  but the Pandemic stopped that.   I believe that League 1 and League 2 have to invest in the system themselves, so Mark Millar had donated the camera Albion Rovers which was then picked up by the mainstream media as a nice local boy comes back from Hollywood type of story that everyone loves!

Cheer up SimonLichtie. You’re probably right but you just drained some of my optimism. Maybe the club should sponsor online orders for vacuum packed steak and black pudding pies for consumption with the streaming. I’m away to order Bovril right now.

Any chance of our next friendly being streamed? Is the cable all installed?

We could end up being the only championship club using Pixellot to stream, judging by other threads.

This clip from Clyde’s friendly at the weekend shows one problem fans have had using this system, with the camera locking onto something it shouldn’t and as a result a goal just about being missed.

1 hour ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Happy to be corrected on that :) The piece I read in the paper was horrendously written considering how I took it (or maybe I'm just a complete moron..... I suspect both ;) ).

I still believe that, ultimately, Pixellot are a business with very little track record producing good quality footage in the conditions at Gayfield/ L1/ L2 grounds with limited choice of where cameras are positioned. The problem with issues such as the camera locking on to something that isn't the ball and missing a goal posted above worry me greatly - that's not just a minor glitch with an easy fix, and these sort of things happening in competitive games where people aren't allowed to attend and pay money to watch the stream is farcical.

12 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

We could end up being the only championship club using Pixellot to stream, judging by other threads.

This clip from Clyde’s friendly at the weekend shows one problem fans have had using this system, with the camera locking onto something it shouldn’t and as a result a goal just about being missed.

That's just amateur to include it in highlights though. Live I could understand. You  get access to a panoramic view. I could manually fire that into Premiere and cut to just the area of the pitch that I was interested in.

I asked Clyde if I could compare their footage with ours. They started telling me the file sizes were too big. You can literally send a link to games in seconds.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

That's just amateur to include it in highlights though. Live I could understand. You  get access to a panoramic view. I could manually fire that into Premiere and cut to just the area of the pitch that I was interested in.

I asked Clyde if I could compare their footage with ours. They started telling me the file sizes were too big. You can literally send a link to games in seconds.

For highlights, does that essentially mean anything missed by the ball tracking cameras could be sourced from the full panoramic, an you could zoom in on the area you wanted in that? If so - the system actually sounds a lot more positive highlights wise if you've got someone doing the editing properly. Obviously still a huge worry for live games though.

14 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

After speaking to a few of the players on Saturday......that’s exactly what they have to do

That’s the case also at Ayr United , when training they are all out in open air , don’t want them in an enclosed indoor environment for any length of time 

Connor Smith

Arbroath FC is delighted to announce the signing of 18-year-old midfielder Connor Smith who joins the club on loan from Heart of Midlothian until January.

Connor is one of the Heart’s Academy’s most exciting young players and made his made his senior Hearts debut coming off the bench at Kilmarnock on the 13th May 2018.

Connor has also represented the Scotland U16 team and has gone on to captain Scotland's under-17 side on numerous occasions.

He joined Cowdenbeath on loan at the start of last season where he played 15 times and scored on two separate occasions against Annan Athletic before being recalled by Hearts in January.

He has been heavily involved in Heart’s pre-season and scored a penalty against Edinburgh City on Friday night.

The midfielder operates in the number 10 role, finding space between midfield and defence easily but played in various positions for Cowdenbeath in their midfield and up front.

Connor’s older brother is Callum Smith, who had a loan spell back with the Lichties in 2018/2019 and now plays in the Premiership for Hamilton Accies.

Arbroath FC would like to thank Heart of Midlothian Football Club and Manager Robbie Neilson for allowing Connor to make the loan move to Gayfield.

We are all excited to see Connor in action.

C’mon the Lichties

Connor-Smith-web-1024x693.jpg

Edited by Gayfield