The Arbroath Thread

The “appeal from the club to please stay away so there is no chance of jeopardising or risking our return to playing football.” message is extremely clear from the club.

No doubt a few wallopers will ignore this and come straight back on here trying to appear all hardcore or Itk as always.

3 hours ago, keptie said:

Good to see the boys back in action,

At this point in time, in all honesty, I feel the opposite. The thought of us actually playing competitive matches which we're not able to attend while we sit about watching a stream of the game (which, at all clubs, will have all manner of issues and failings due to being a new system) is just shite in my opinion. If I wanted to watch football on the TV/ a stream, I can do that literally 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I don't have any interest in that. Not being in attendance at a game and watching a stream of it basically takes everything I love about football away from it..... I suspect I'm in the minority here but I'd be delighted if the season was postponed as opposed to it going ahead without fans.

Of course, regardless of my personal opinions above, it looks very likely we will be going ahead and that being the case we're obviously in an excellent position on the park, and at this point in time I'd be confident in us being able to finish 8th or above again. The continuity in the squad puts us in such a good position, and like the last few years it gives us a real advantage in first quarter of the season. At this point in time we quite clearly have a better team/ squad than QotS and I'd certainly see us as being on par with 2/3 others at least with even teams like Inverness and Dunfermline losing several key players. Obviously those two will have better individuals than us player for player come the start of the season, but it always takes a team time to adapt, where as we've kept everyone apart from Wighton (who only played 5/6 games, although was superb IMO) and we've added Doolan.

If we are playing a 27 game season to an end; I don't really know if that's a good/ bad or irrelevant thing to us? Being part time, I guess the main thing is as few midweek matches as possible, as opposed to how long the season is....

Agree with Simon about streaming. There's nothing quite like freezing on the terrace at Gayfield on a winter afternoon with all the other masochists and paying for the privilege. Only joking!

Streaming cannot replace the atmosphere of being at a live game. But it seems to be the best alternative whilst supporters aren't allowed into the grounds. I don't know if the club will get any income from streaming but if they do at least that's something positive. 

As I understand it this virus is here to stay. It isn't going to disappear or die off and a vaccine seems to be the only way to fight it and that seems to be some way off as yet. So it could be that even next season the same restrictions could be in place and streaming the only way to watch matches.

Unfortunately, at a time when clubs are financially stressed and the longer crowd restrictions apply  it could reduce the attraction for youngsters to support the club, when they cannot see the players in person during games.  Hopefully I'm wrong about that and in the meantime I'm looking forward to seeing the first streamed game but even more looking forward to digging out the winter woolies for getting back to a live match.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

I think there is a danger that enforced absence will break the habit. After all, the prospect of contracting hypothermia for sometimes limited ‘entertainment’ in return is hardly rational.

Given that we need to live with virus, I think Government ruling out at least some attendance at all especially lower league games is hard both to justify and sustain even with the second wave breaking. Provided due caution is maintained at the pinch points (entry/exit/refreshments), I think attending games at the likes of Gayfield is probably lower risk than ANY other imaginable place or activity especially pubs.

I think streaming of these games is probably better than nothing but not much. I can’t work up much enthusiasm for that compared with the equal joys and horrors of actually being there on the terrace. Mind you, that applies to almost any similar live event- music, drama, etc.

The Scottish Govt are stressing the simplicity of the protection messages - fair enough - but that does mean excessive caution for some activities and locations that could be functioning.

Playing Fortmartin on Friday evening at Gayf. Hopefully the cable will be in and the game will be streamed.

As has been said Streaming isn’t ideal but it’s better than not being able to watch a game at all. I sat in Tutties yesterday while the club were playing a few hundred yards away. Didn’t feel great

Agree with Simon, streaming is a poor consolation to actually being there but I’d take it over nothing at all. I just can’t understand why you can go to the pub with 1m distancing, go to a gym class etc but we can’t get a few hundred outside at the football when we could do staggered entry times, plenty room for social distancing, I’d happily wear a mask and wait to leave the ground safely if it meant I could get in.