The Arbroath Thread

On 11/07/2020 at 15:35, lichtie23 said:

Well said.
I’d like to see the club do a pay up system. In this climate it might be hard for people to splash out a lump sum for the season ticket. In my case Iv got to buy 3 (2 adults, 1 child) and it is quite an expense. It might not be possible tho for a club the size of ours.

It's also largely pointless. The main point for clubs at this level (where ticket availability is not a limiting factor) promoting season tickets is to get money up front as a commitment so they know they have it regardless of form or weather, and can see them over the summer, get a more firm handle on the playing budget before they commit to contracts, etc. If fans are signed up to pay up over time most of that just isn't achieved and all you effectively get is a lower income (because he season ticket is discounted to compensate for paying it up front) for no cash flow advantage, assuming the club self finances such an arrangement. Also there's always a chance of season ticket holders simply stopping paying and if it's a physical ticket and not some sort of barcoded card that can be invalidated then they've still got the ticket and you're way out of pocket. There are of course finance companies who would provide the club with the cash up front and either charge interest to the supporters or a fee to the club (or both) to allow it to be paid up but such arrangements are so costly given the small size that it's pointless.

Frankly, if you aren't going to pay up front then from the club's point of view you may as well just pay as you go. I appreciate that won't suit personal circumstances such as yours but effectively that's the choice and to allow otherwise for the club is financially disadvantageous. Of course it has PR benefits, particularly at the moment.

On 13/07/2020 at 15:54, Smokerson said:

Well he was certainly a lot younger with less experience than he has now, I thought he was about 22,23 when he went there. 

On 13/07/2020 at 15:54, Smokerson said:

Well he was certainly a lot younger with less experience than he has now, I thought he was about 22,23 when he went there. 

He was 27, what you thought doesn't matter when it's utterly wrong. 

"I’d like to think now that no player playing regularly in our team would drop down 3 leagues to join these teams spending all the cash" 

Awkward. 

EK  have signed Paul Paton and Kyle Wilkie, not good enough for us, but surely better than Lowland League, some of these clubs have money

Now Chris Erskine

Went for a walk along the coast today with the wife and kids. Beautiful day and on the way back we seen the Gold & Gray football camp going on behind Gayfield. Very encouraging to see so many of the kids in Arbroath kits. The next generation of the support looks strong

12 hours ago, Grant228 said:

He was 27, what you thought doesn't matter when it's utterly wrong. 

"I’d like to think now that no player playing regularly in our team would drop down 3 leagues to join these teams spending all the cash" 

Awkward. 

Not really awkward in the slightest, thought he was much younger when he went junior for the cash and with what we’ve got going now I don’t think any of our players would drop to the lowland league.

Ive no idea what kind of wages they are paying compared to us so I may be wrong. Time will tell. 

On 23/06/2020 at 18:15, Ludo*1 said:

Think we are. We have Hemmings & Nelson already signed up. He'd get nowhere near the team (Provided McPake had any sense)

This has not aged well

Just now, RedLichtie86 said:

By the sounds of it your club is edging closer to your 3rd administration in less than 20 years.

Sad times

Why? Because we're implementing cost saving measures due to losing money during a global pandemic?

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hemmings is still signed up and I still wouldn't have Simon Murray.

Aged perfectly well tbqhwy.

At the moment, gone before the season starts

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why? Because we're implementing cost saving measures due to losing money during a global pandemic?

Love your optimism

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Maybe - Still wouldn't thank you for Murray. Dreadful player.

Don't think he would choose you either, tbh

Just now, ecto said:

Love your optimism

Don't think he would choose you either, tbh

Are you his Da' or something?

Very defensive over comments made about a poor footballer.

Edited by Ludo*1

You have been losing money in general. This pandemic looks to be the tipping point.

Doesnt look good that you had to make drastic cuts and are still looking for more.

Just now, RedLichtie86 said:

You have been losing money in general. This pandemic looks to be the tipping point.

Doesnt look good that you had to make drastic cuts and are still looking for more.

No, we've not. All losses have been underwritten up until this pandemic started.

Most teams have had to make cuts. Very few haven't in some form or other. Of course it's not good.