The Arbroath Thread

In fact had a bit of a think, 20 teams in league 1, then everyone plays 38 games

If it’s 14 in the Prem and 20 in the Championship what about the remaining 8-10 teams in the next division?

Further down the pyramid, now it looks like the recalcitrant West of Scotland juniors are finally integrating from next season, at what level should regionalisation (ie playing in more local zones) occur? It’s a tier 6 at present. In other words, League restructuring has to look at the whole pyramid.

23 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

If it’s 14 in the Prem and 20 in the Championship what about the remaining 8-10 teams in the next division?

Further down the pyramid, now it looks like the recalcitrant West of Scotland juniors are finally integrating from next season, at what level should regionalisation (ie playing in more local zones) occur? It’s a tier 6 at present. In other words, League restructuring has to look at the whole pyramid.

My preference would be 12-12-20, with the championship and the premier running the same play each other 3 time than a 6-6 split, then 2 up 2 down, if it's a 14 team premier and it's 14-12-18, premier teams play each other 3 times 39 games ( and yes this would require a renegotiation of the tv deal or a new deal altogether), championship has a 6-6 split and league 1 play each other twice, all with 2 up, 2 down and yes there needs to be a look taken at the bottom end of the pyramid

I’d rather leagues were larger and we played teams less, 4 times a season really is ludicrous, especially if you get teams in the cup as well. Larger leagues would hopefully encourage teams to build properly instead of short term fixes all of the time. This absolutely won’t happen though.

I don’t really see much changing. I think the top league may become 14 and the rest will stay 10. 

Agree, but that’s an opportunity missed. Most fans of lower league clubs would, I’m sure, prefer leagues of 18-20 playing each other only twice. Only the old firm and a few other “big” clubs want a small top league for the gate receipts of playing each other 4 times and the TV money. So let them have a small Premier League of 10 and then two leagues of 18.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

I don’t really see much changing. I think the top league may become 14 and the rest will stay 10. 

I think this is probably right, allows something for Brora and Kelty

Agree, but that’s an opportunity missed. Most fans of lower league clubs would, I’m sure, prefer leagues of 18-20 playing each other only twice. Only the old firm and a few other “big” clubs want a small top league for the gate receipts of playing each other 4 times and the TV money. So let them have a small Premier League of 10 and then two leagues of 18.

Not sure tbh, in a league of 10 pretty much every game matters whereas in your proposed league of 18-20 you could be competing for nothing by Christmas. I think 3 leagues of 14 would be good, but I wouldn’t be bothered at all if they just left as is.

With Anne Budge chairing the reconstruction group, you can be certain of a 14 or 16 member premier league next season.

Why? She won't want Hearts relegated & she won't want a part-time club in the top league. As we finished 17th, that precludes having more than 16 in the top league.

This means that there will be 28 or 26 lower league clubs to rearrange. Add in 1 each from Highland & Lowland leagues and we have a 44 team SPFL

Under these conditions, I would then like to see 14/10/10/10 with 1 automatic promotion/relegation spot & playoffs (based on the current championship/league 1 arrangements) for a second promotion spot in every league . I would split the Lowland League into East & West (including the Ayrshire Juniors) to produce 3 regional challengers to "Club 44" as Brechin will be known in the future :(

If we made the 4 Euro qualifiers exempt from the group stages of the league cup, this would also facilitate 10 groups of 4 (one from each league) in the league cup. The top 2 in each group plus the 4 european teams would then play in 8 groups of 3 to determine the quarterfinals. Under this system, it should be possible to ensure that a minimum number of game between clubs in the same division are played.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of smaller leagues further down the pyramid. 10 club leagues usually mean that we're playing for something right up to May.

However, if we go to 14/14/14 with 2 up & 2 down, I would expect our last 5 or 6 games to be meaningless (finishing about 18th, but no realistic hope of promotion after Xmas)

Too radical?

I have to agree with the Elgin Chairman. We have no sponsors, no idea when football will restart in Scotland and no idea how many teams will still be around when it does. Yet here we are discussing how many teams will be in the leagues. This is a crises situation but thankfully we have a forward looking board who are doing everything they can to ensure that we can come out the other end with a fitba club.

I have to agree with the Elgin Chairman. We have no sponsors, no idea when football will restart in Scotland and no idea how many teams will still be around when it does. Yet here we are discussing how many teams will be in the leagues. This is a crises situation but thankfully we have a forward looking board who are doing everything they can to ensure that we can come out the other end with a fitba club.

We are ok sponsorship wise. I’m sure we have Megatech until the end of the 20/21 season.

The League 2 clubs are unanimously behind 14-14-14 so it either that or no change... or more chaos.

I’d prefer this than the current setup, since it would offer more variety. You could maybe justify 2 automatic up and down and maybe even playoff places (though the Premiership cartel will seek to restrict this). And it probably means playing each team 3 times a season.

Since it’s a little tough on Highland and Lowland champions (though both seem to have bought their titles), you could have16 in the lowest tier for the first season and more teams relegated for that one season.

I've never been a fan of these small leagues. They were only introduced as money makers for the Old Firm and to hell with the rest of Scottish football. I'm sure that since they started in 1975 the standard of Scottish football has dropped. In the Premier league only 2 teams are likely to win it, the rest play to avoid relegation which doesn't make for good quality football.

I'd rather see bigger leagues with teams playing each other twice a season. But to do that more teams from the Highland and Lowland leagues would have to be brought in and that would mean less teams in those leagues. Also some of the top teams in those leagues might not be happy moving as they could see a reduced income because they might not be as successful and crowds would drop off.

The time is right for change, but changes made should be for the best for the whole of Scottish football. Whatever the outcome of restructuring, if any, not everyone will be pleased.   

I've never been a fan of these small leagues. They were only introduced as money makers for the Old Firm and to hell with the rest of Scottish football. I'm sure that since they started in 1975 the standard of Scottish football has dropped. In the Premier league only 2 teams are likely to win it, the rest play to avoid relegation which doesn't make for good quality football.

That just isn’t true is it?Had the Premiership continued then Motherwell, Aberdeen, Livi and Hibs would have all been battling until the final day to try and secure European qualification.