The Arbroath Thread

Well that’s certainly our best league finish in my lifetime [emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji1145]

This has been a memorable season 

Older supporters may recall the 13th place finish in the top flight in 73-74, and the 15th place in 72-73.

A slight cautionary note from history - we finished bottom the next year (though it didn’t matter since league restructuring - again on the agenda today - only retained the top 10 teams in that division)

Older supporters may recall the 13th place finish in the top flight in 73-74, and the 13th place in 72-73.

A slight cautionary note from history - we finished bottom the next year (though it didn’t matter since league restructuring - again on the agenda today - only retained the top 10 teams in that division)

Finished 15th in 72-73 and 13th in 73-74. After our bottom finish the next season and the subsequent reconstruction we finished 5th in the 1st Division which was 15th overall in Scotland. Incidentally our best ever finishes were 11th, both in the 1930’s, we got a 14th around that time as well.
This seasons 5th place, 17th overall in Scotland is our best finish since that 5th in 1975/76, 44 years ago.

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:
20 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:
Well that’s certainly our best league finish in my lifetime emoji1145.pngemoji1145.pngemoji1145.png

We finished 7th 01/02 only 4 points off 3rd that season.

Spot on Hammerafc a lot of folk forget about that team, built up by Dave Baikie then took to another level by John Brownlie, what a squad with Hinchie, Craw, MacAuley, Gal, Rowe, Thomson, Mercer, Cargill, John McGlashan, Merc, Cusie,Mallan, Colin McGlashan, Flo and a young Swanks, i remember one game late December at Brockville we won 1-0 against Falkirk with Arbroath born young Darren Spink lobing their keeper, a fantastic effort and we were like now the best part-time club in Scotland at the time.  

14 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Older supporters may recall the 13th place finish in the top flight in 73-74, and the 13th place in 72-73.

Remember all of them

Spot on Hammerafc a lot of folk forget about that team, built up by Dave Baikie then took to another level by John Brownlie, what a squad with Hinchie, Craw, MacAuley, Gal, Rowe, Thomson, Mercer, Cargill, John McGlashan, Merc, Cusie,Mallan, Colin McGlashan, Flo and a young Swanks, i remember one game late December at Brockville we won 1-0 against Falkirk with Arbroath born young Darren Spink lobing their keeper, a fantastic effort and we were like now the best part-time club in Scotland at the time.  

We lost that game 2-1

I’d keep everyone except murphy and would take any of the loan signings back in a heartbeat. Think one of the main reasons for our success is the togetherness of our squad.

Not sure who is available to bring in but p/t wise we could definitely pinch s couple of alloa’s players, flanigan being one

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

I’d keep everyone except murphy and would take any of the loan signings back in a heartbeat. Think one of the main reasons for our success is the togetherness of our squad.

Not sure who is available to bring in but p/t wise we could definitely pinch s couple of alloa’s players, flanigan being one

Dream on ! flannigan is going nowhere as are the rest , but realistically their wouldnt be  much point in that kind of move , unless your wages are stonkingly more than ours 

the only player i can think of moving is O'hara but that will be to a  full time team .  well done on your season though,  excellent performances from your boys and your MANAGER who is so underrated . we have been hampered with key injuries and a new manager ourselves but we were kickin on when it all got stopped, . looking forward to our next meetings  but till then you have my plaudits  👏

I’d probably let go of Murphy and hopefully keep Craigen. I’d be unsure of keeping Omar as much as he’s done well this year I feel we need a stronger back up. Swankie I’m unsure as well again done well but maybe bringing in someone younger with similar quality to replace him.

Loans again will be key hopefully get similar quality as to this season past.

39 minutes ago, Smokie joe 🐟🇱🇻 said:

I’d probably let go of Murphy and hopefully keep Craigen. I’d be unsure of keeping Omar as much as he’s done well this year I feel we need a stronger back up. Swankie I’m unsure as well again done well but maybe bringing in someone younger with similar quality to replace him.

Loans again will be key hopefully get similar quality as to this season past.

Who we keep and who we sign, will wholly down to cost, it does look like the start of the season will be played behind closed doors

Who we keep and who we sign, will wholly down to cost, it does look like the start of the season will be played behind closed doors

No reason why we couldn’t keep all our squad unless they wanted to go full time.

Surely being part time we can only start back when everything is back to normal for everyone pretty pointless having our players working day jobs mixing with others then playing full time teams who may still be distancing themselves from majority and playing the likes of us and Alloa etc. I’m all for getting it back ASAP but can’t see it any time soon. If any teams were to start back it would be the SPL behind closed doors.