The Arbroath Thread

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I now fancy us to score goals.

I know Bobby hasn't been playing and we've won the last 2 but I'd really love to see him get a chance in the team along with Wighton and Hilson.

He's been our main man and won so many games for us, carried us a bit in an attacking sense.

Him in the team along with 2 other guys who can make things happen going forward would be really good to see in my opinion.

Looking forward to the remaining games regardless I feel we've got plenty options now, aside from at the back, but this is something we've coped with for nearly 4 years now.

If you had said to me 5 weeks ago we would've taken 6 points from Thistle and United with Bobby not playing I would've thought you were half daft. 

Bobby wasn't performing to his ability, you could argue that we weren't getting him on the ball enough in attacking areas and getting the best out of him. He now faces a huge battle to get back into the team but that's the way it should be, we also have to remember he isn't getting any younger so a wee break should do him the world of good and hopefully he comes back really fresh and invigorated for next week.

I was very surprised to see Swankie in the starting line up, out of nowhere he came in but he showed his class, I think he could be a huge player for us in the run in with his experience and quality, almost like a new signing in itself considering the time he has missed.

Cover and competition all over the squad now, great to see.

If you had said to me 5 weeks ago we would've taken 6 points from Thistle and United with Bobby not playing I would've thought you were half daft. 
Bobby wasn't performing to his ability, you could argue that we weren't getting him on the ball enough in attacking areas and getting the best out of him. He now faces a huge battle to get back into the team but that's the way it should be, we also have to remember he isn't getting any younger so a wee break should do him the world of good and hopefully he comes back really fresh and invigorated for next week.
I was very surprised to see Swankie in the starting line up, out of nowhere he came in but he showed his class, I think he could be a huge player for us in the run in with his experience and quality, almost like a new signing in itself considering the time he has missed.
Cover and competition all over the squad now, great to see.

Don't think Bobby had even been that poor he was playing ok. Thought he was really good up in Inverness, overall as a team I think we never played well against Morton, Falkirk and Alloa.

Also think the problem is the opposite, we were constantly just giving him it and expecting him to do something. Against Falkirk in Falkirk the same happened. Long ball up to Donnelly or trying to work a 2 on 1 down the left hand side hoping Bobby put it on a plate for LD like he's done pretty often this year.

If we could get him into the team and try to use both sides more balanced I think that would get the best out of him.

Wighton and Hilson are real attacking threats out wide whereas I think Stewart is a more balanced all round wide player who isn't necessarily the kind of guy who looks to take people on one on one. Hence us going to Bobby so much.

As for Swankie he put a good shift in but I'm really not sure him playing out wide is something I'd want to see more of.

Have to say it's absolutely fantastic to see the stuff on our Facebook page from the kids day last week - 50 kids there to meet players etc, likewise the mention of over 1000 paying customers taking in hospitality so far this season. It's so, so much easier to get kids 'hooked' when we're going to grounds like Tannadice and Dens and have so many players who've been here for a number of years and are all well known to all fans. This is the best position we've been in for 20 odd years, and we need to take advantage and try to push our consistent average gate/ support up a notch. These sort of events and the continued, positive engagement with fans on social media are great to see and in the longer term, when we fall back to the 'bad' times at the arse end of League 1/ League 2 it looks like we'll still be in a far better position than we were 5/6 years ago when we started our rise to where we are now.

If we can use this next few years to keep boosting the reputation of the club we should be able to get to a level where our core support is able to consistently sustain a top half League 1 budget and we can position ourselves at that level or above for a sustained period of time.

15 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Have to say it's absolutely fantastic to see the stuff on our Facebook page from the kids day last week - 50 kids there to meet players etc, likewise the mention of over 1000 paying customers taking in hospitality so far this season. It's so, so much easier to get kids 'hooked' when we're going to grounds like Tannadice and Dens and have so many players who've been here for a number of years and are all well known to all fans. This is the best position we've been in for 20 odd years, and we need to take advantage and try to push our consistent average gate/ support up a notch. These sort of events and the continued, positive engagement with fans on social media are great to see and in the longer term, when we fall back to the 'bad' times at the arse end of League 1/ League 2 it looks like we'll still be in a far better position than we were 5/6 years ago when we started our rise to where we are now.

If we can use this next few years to keep boosting the reputation of the club we should be able to get to a level where our core support is able to consistently sustain a top half League 1 budget and we can position ourselves at that level or above for a sustained period of time.

This is not only good for the club but also for the future well being of any youngster who gets involved. If they can be encouraged to get involved in sport and outdoor activities instead of sitting in front of a screen playing video games,  it can only be good for their physical wellbeing and longer term health. Hopefully the club will continue with the good work within and outwith the football side of things

Ian Campbell on lower league ramblings.

What a nice guy.

I was very impressed. He is intelligent and articulate with a real vision for how to run a successful club. I’d never heard him before. With Dick it’s a very strong team. We are very lucky to have the Campbells at Arbroath. They’ll be difficult to replace.

Pink was engaging and honest as ever which is great to hear. What I took out of it tho is that Danny Denholm is a bit of a shitebag for thinking we might not win the league and would have been happy with a playoff spot last season.
He did say up to the Brechin away game which was in November when we played absolutely superb football that day. Less than half the season gone at that point so will go easy on him.