The Arbroath Thread

Regardless of how the next 14 games go and where we finish this year, one thing that is safe to say is the board and management have done absolutely everything that can to get the players in to give us the best opportunity of staying in this division.

Our transfer business in January has, on paper, been the absolute best we could expect in my opinion. With the greatest of the respect to the players who've left, we won't miss any of them from the starting 11, and we've bought in 3 quality papers (again, on paper). Hilson is obviously someone we've been after for a while and a player who has proven himself as one of the best part time players available. Craig Wighton is a player who was mentioned 3 weeks ago to me in the car on the way to a game by a friend and in all honestly my initial reaction was a slight scoff and thoughts that we need to be realistic - and here we are with him as our player for the next 4 months :) James Craigen, while in terms of position it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, on paper is another excellent signing. If we've signed him on an 18 month deal it looks like it could be a really good signing. As I've said before, my opinion is that we need to keep building on the very solid base we have with the best part time options available to us. Could we have signed a better part time player than Craigen or Hilson, or a better loan than Wighton? Obviously that remains to be seen, but we look to be in probably almost as good a position we could realistically be in at this point in time. If 36-0 Maroon thought in August we had a 'very strong' strikeforce with Doris, Donnelly and Spence as our options, he must be absolutely creaming himself over the options we have now :D

In terms of Luke Donnelly, I view it as a kind of similar situation to my opinions on Mark Whatley. Whatley in League 1/ 2 when playing against teams with 5 in the middle and trying to nick something  could be very frustrating due to defensive attributes far outweighting his attacking ones. However, with roles reversed and in the Championship as a 4-5-1 team trying to nick something he is absolutely vital to how we play. Donnelly is the sort of player who is an absolutely nightmare as a 1 man frontline with long ball, however we've already see him link up very well with Bobby this year, and from what I saw in the first 45 against Partick, Donnelly has the potential to work very, very well with multiple runners like Wighton and Hilson offering options as well as Bobby. If we can feed Donnelly's feet and always be offering a couple of runs off him he'll be vital for us in the next few months in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Regardless of how the next 14 games go and where we finish this year, one thing that is safe to say is the board and management have done absolutely everything that can to get the players in to give us the best opportunity of staying in this division.

Our transfer business in January has, on paper, been the absolute best we could expect in my opinion. With the greatest of the respect to the players who've left, we won't miss any of them from the starting 11, and we've bought in 3 quality papers (again, on paper). Hilson is obviously someone we've been after for a while and a player who has proven himself as one of the best part time players available. Craig Wighton is a player who was mentioned 3 weeks ago to me in the car on the way to a game by a friend and in all honestly my initial reaction was a slight scoff and thoughts that we need to be realistic - and here we are with him as our player for the next 4 months :) James Craigen, while in terms of position it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, on paper is another excellent signing. If we've signed him on an 18 month deal it looks like it could be a really good signing. As I've said before, my opinion is that we need to keep building on the very solid base we have with the best part time options available to us. Could we have signed a better part time player than Craigen or Hilson, or a better loan than Wighton? Obviously that remains to be seen, but we look to be in probably almost as good a position we could realistically be in at this point in time. If 36-0 Maroon thought in August we had a 'very strong' strikeforce with Doris, Donnelly and Spence as our options, he must be absolutely creaming himself over the options we have now :D

In terms of Luke Donnelly, I view it as a kind of similar situation to my opinions on Mark Whatley. Whatley in League 1/ 2 when playing against teams with 5 in the middle and trying to nick something  could be very frustrating due to defensive attributes far outweighting his attacking ones. However, with roles reversed and in the Championship as a 4-5-1 team trying to nick something he is absolutely vital to how we play. Donnelly is the sort of player who is an absolutely nightmare as a 1 man frontline with long ball, however we've already see him link up very well with Bobby this year, and from what I saw in the first 45 against Partick, Donnelly has the potential to work very, very well with multiple runners like Wighton and Hilson offering options as well as Bobby. If we can feed Donnelly's feet and always be offering a couple of runs off him he'll be vital for us in the next few months in my opinion.

Couldn’t have said it better myself mate 😂😂😂🇱🇻⚽🙌

Think its obvious we were needing some more creativity and threat going forward instead of relying on Linn evergame, Very happy with the signings, Can see Murphy being the one who is off, Perhaps to one of our Angus Sisters,

Tomorrow I'd love to see us go with usual back 4,
Whatley Miko and McKenna in middle if Miko is fit,
Stewart and Wighton on wings and Hilson up top,
Linn a great option to come on, He has had a quiet few weeks,

22 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Think its obvious we were needing some more creativity and threat going forward instead of relying on Linn evergame, Very happy with the signings, Can see Murphy being the one who is off, Perhaps to one of our Angus Sisters,

Would say Donnelly up from instead tomorrow. 

But would say Thats my starting 11  from the present squad. 

34 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Not a fan of this at all - I'm not even sure what you're trying here? If it's a haiku you've got far too many syllables in there and if it's meant to be a standard poem there isn't even a vague resemblance of rhyming there. Poor all round.

Edited by SimonLichtie

Not a fan of this at all - I'm not even sure what you're trying here? If it's a haiku you've got far too many syllables in there and if it's meant to be a standard poem there isn't even a vague resemblance of rhyming there. Poor all round.

Bobby Linn is great.
Hilson and Wighton must play.
Front three obvious.

Decent enough player for this level, Falkirk fans will tell you he’s a shitebag but he gave just about everything he had for us and we never really got any half-hearted performances from him.

He’s effective as both a right back and a central midfielder.