The Arbroath Thread

Centre half, Ben Stirling, joins on loan from Hibs. Spent first half of the season at Arbroath.
Thoughts lads ? was he a backup for TOB ?

Didn’t play centre half for us. Mostly right back, occasionally centre mid. Solid player and wouldn’t have been against keeping him for back-up. Think the reason he went back to Hibs was that on more than one occasion Hibs had them away down south playing reserve games which meant they missed games & training for us, and Dick got fed up.

1 minute ago, Lichtie78 said:

Didn’t play centre half for us. Mostly right back, occasionally centre mid. Solid player and wouldn’t have been against keeping him for back-up. Think the reason he went back to Hibs was that on more than one occasion Hibs had them away down south playing reserve games which meant they missed games & training for us, and Dick got fed up.

Since Andy Graham is out for the season, he will be centre half most likely, good to hear he is decent enough .

Ben Stirling looked decent enough - but I felt he lacked the discipline, positioning and I guess really the experience to fit into our team. I think he could do a job for a team doing well in League 1, but the thought of him playing for Alloa who similar to us in the defensive half rely heavily on shape and also like to pass it about and have their defenders use the ball doesn't seem like a bad thing from an Arbroath perspective...

16 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Ben Stirling looked decent enough - but I felt he lacked the discipline, positioning and I guess really the experience to fit into our team. I think he could do a job for a team doing well in League 1, but the thought of him playing for Alloa who similar to us in the defensive half rely heavily on shape and also like to pass it about and have their defenders use the ball doesn't seem like a bad thing from an Arbroath perspective...

We've been down to 12 or 13 fit senior players on a number of occasions this season. Adding a decent player who can apparently play RB, CB or DM is clearly helpful. I can't see how it is a good thing from your perspective at all. What certainly is good news for you is the bad injury for Andy Graham. Basically irreplaceable for Alloa. 

I feel so much better about us going forward for the rest of the season after today. Yes they were poor but that was comfortable WITH BOBBY AND SCOTTY STEWART ON THE BENCH!!!!

Wighton and Hilson genuinely very good options going forward. Can play in different areas too.

Absolutely fantastic today, McKenna was unreal, Motm for me, Hilson & Wighton were also excellent, total ballers, they are the real deal, attack now matching the defense in terms of strength and ability, going to be a real great end to the season 

What a great time i had in the hospitality today. If any fan has not had the chance to experience this please consider it.

A great pre match chat from big Dick before the game and then Ian coming in afterwards for some too.

Looking forward to the next one.

On 22/01/2020 at 18:50, gone fishing said:

Dundee fans don’t rate him hearts fans don’t rate him raith fans don’t rate him. It’s a gamble that I hope pays of for us

At 24 mins past 3 on January 25th 2020,the opinions of Dundee,Hearts,and Raith fans,became as relevant ,as a Harry and Mehgan commemorative royal teatowel !

Edited by Douglas Peel
Punctuation

Still find it hilarious how much Mikey McKenna covers the park

We basically played;

Gaston

Thomson

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Whatley

McKenna

Virtanen

Wighton

McKenna

Hilson

Donnelly

McKenna

As yesterday's formation. 2 extra players on the park man

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We basically played;

Gaston

Thomson

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Whatley

McKenna

Virtanen

Wighton

McKenna

Hilson

Donnelly

McKenna

Actually you could also say he also spent a bit of time between ToB and Hammy

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We basically played;

Gaston

Thomson

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Whatley

McKenna

Virtanen

Wighton

McKenna

Hilson

Donnelly

McKenna

Fully agree with this McKenna has been a star all season. My player of the season. Surprised a Premiership club did not come in for him.
He is without a doubt our workhorse

Tho I agree Mikey has had a very good season I’d personally say both Miko and TOB would be more deserving of player of the season so far

Fully agree with this McKenna has been a star all season. My player of the season. Surprised a Premiership club did not come in for him.
He is without a doubt our workhorse
I love McKenna but he isn't good enough to step up to the premiership,
His energy is unbelievable and having a great season but this is his level now